Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3 (or whatever it is called now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... surely reverse-engineering the Supercharger protocol will be nothing but a beauty...

As mentioned before, Tesla Supercharger technology is an open patent.

You can reverse-engineer it but that may cost much more.

It's cheaper if you can read a patent blue print and replicate it yourself quite easily.

By now you should know that it's just a matter of using an off-shelf technology such as your 10 kW on-board charger.

If you stack 12 of them, you get 120 kW Tesla Supercharger.

It's cheap. It's simple. It's easily accessible. But the Auto Industry doesn't want that because they say they can do better: a unified standard, one single plug, and much faster then Tesla Supercharger.

Sure! Talk is cheap! Look at their single plug:

1) J1772
2) CHAdeMO
3) CCS...

That's the Auto Industry version of single plug (for each version of course:)

mennekes-chademo-combo-plugs.jpg

Left to right: Mennekes, CHAdeMO and Combo
Photo Credit: insideevs.com

Last edited:
[QUOTE="cfttester, post: 1425587, member: 29845"...reverse engineer the protocol...[/QUOTE]

I believe the Auto Industry can catch up with Tesla any time it wants due to its vast resources.

One proof is Ford who said it knows how to reverse engineer Tesla Model S:

Ford "has the engineering and manufacturing sophistication to do such a model, with the range and quickness that characterize the Model S.

Ford bought a Tesla Model S and, Fields said, "We drove it. We took it apart. We put it back together and we drove it again.""

However, my belief is despite of Tesla's leadership and its offer for help, the aroma of petroleum is just too irresistible for Auto Industry to make driving an EV practical.

I do. Question is - do you realize that Bolt and mythical Model E will likely have some competitors in the next couple of years (when, hopefully Model E materialize)? Second gen Leaf, I would not be surprised if we will see an updated i3 (I know - not CHAdeMO too)
A lot of misdirected anger here. The Model 3 is hardly mythical at this point being 2 weeks from unveiling. I wasn't aware the competitors were building a DC fast charging network with more than one station per location across the entire US that will be in place but Model 3 launch. Can you provide the link?

Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
No shame on me :). You assumed I'm living on my mom's basement, so I naturally assume you are a one percenter.

No, it wasn't an assumption. It was a joke on par with much of your 'argument'.

Are you seriously comparing cars that are already in production for 3-5 years with a car that hopefully will be in production in 3-5 years?

Nope, I'm pretty sure I didn't do any comparisons. Feel free to answer the questions of how one actually drives 52 hours non-stop in whatever current car suits your fancy. If you could provide some links/sources/or the like of actual statistical data stating the percentage of people who actually do that on a regular basis to bolster your position, I'd be happy to read those. And if those sources turn out to be factually correct I'll reconsider my opinion that you're currently just pulling random gibberish from your nose because you think it's cute to gross out your fellow humans.

Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
BMW i5, potential Mitsubishi, potential Kia...
We will see an updated i3 before the Model 3. Later this year the i3 will get a 57% bigger battery, increasing the EPA range to around 125 miles. It's unlikely it will be updated much more before the Model 3 is on the market.

The new Leaf definitely will be available, with something like a 200 mile range. Of course, it won't have performance, supercharger access or the technology Tesla is known for. And With the Model 3 you will be able to pay extra for closer to 300 miles of range.

We might see a new B class. Tesla and Daimler have ended their cooperation on the B class, so it's natural that we will see a new version from Daimlers new partner. Nothing is known about this car.

The BMW i5 should arrive sometime around 2020. At that point we will be two years into volume sales of the Model 3. And it's virtually impossible to say what the specs of the Model 3 or the i5 will be at that point.

I don't know what Mitsubishi's up to, but Kia will probably update the Soul with more range within a year or two. This is needed just to keep up with the 30 kWh Leaf. I wouldn't expect much to get excited about from either Kia nor Mitsubishi.

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3...
Discussion in 'Model 3' started by cfttester, Yesterday at 12:42 PM.

I am curious, why bother starting a thread like this and why bother working so hard to try and discourage/talk down ordering of model 3?

Why indeed. Even with all that hard work, the arguments against pre-ordering a Model III are weak, illogical, and just plain wrong. They actually have the opposite effect, making it obvious to me that ordering a Model III will be making many, many, people very happy they did so.

GSP

Actually after reading all of his arguments I'm not going to pre-order a Model 3. He's right, why would I want a better performing better looking vehicle with access to all public charging standards as well as the much faster supercharger network, and a vehicle capable of getting over the air updates? I'm sure I'll be getting the Gen 2 iMiEV or something similar instead...

Actually after reading all of his arguments I'm not going to pre-order a Model 3. He's right, why would I want a better performing better looking vehicle with access to all public charging standards as well as the much faster supercharger network, and a vehicle capable of getting over the air updates? I'm sure I'll be getting the Gen 2 iMiEV or something similar instead...

Sarcasm ?

True, but the only substantial difference between the Superchargers network and let's say CHAdeMO network is that you can travel across the country as was pointer above. How often car owner travel across the US? Beyond that, CHAdeMO, for example, is an open standard. Guess, which network will grow faster.
Do you have any idea what its like driving electric or looked at plugshare?
Have you tried a journey of >150 miles in an EV that has a range of 80 miles?
You keep using the word "network" - I do not think it means what you think it means.