Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why buy a new S when one can save 20-40K on used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The VIN needs to be 8k or higher. Below 7k they were not folding, and somewhere in the 7-8k range, it changed. Mine is 78xx, but I'm not sure yet if it has it or not (the photos I got don't include the control button). That said, I do not know if that requires the tech package on pre-2015 cars. Someone car to chime in if that is also a requirement?

Power folding mirrors were introduced in Q4 2013. Not sure of the exact VIN but probably in the low 20000s.

On the Tesla CPO website, how can you tell if the car has power folding mirrors? That is a key option I need due to garage size.

I'm a good one to answer that question because I bought the last Model S built without folding mirrors - delivered Sept 25 2013, VIN 20791. So if you get a VIN higher than that, or built in Oct or later of 2013, you're good.

So I'm really on the fence on buying a new 85 versus buying a used one for 20K+ cheaper. This is also thinking I would get an upgraded one by going used. I live in Southern CA and other than handling, dual motors don't seem to be a real need. The 85D I price out for myself is $100,500 and I see P85's on the CPO site for 65-75K. That's a faster car with likely same or better options. Car comes with a warranty and I could extend that. Granted, the car has 15-25K in miles but that doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with these cars. Autopilot while a nifty option, doesn't seem to really be worth the extra money. Anything else I'm missing?

The CPO cars are indeed cheaper, and I am in the same boat as you right now (going back and forth between new or used), but here are my general thoughts,

- CPO are cheaper, but so are all CPO cars irrespective of brand etc. Doesn't make them a better deal, it's an older car for lesser $.
- This year with the introduction of "D" has introduced IMO a new generation of Model S. With future software updates they will get only better. The big things that matter to me are TACC/AutoPilot, and automatic parallel parking (for such a huge boat of a car I think it matters a lot). I am sure there will be other misc. features/improvements. There are minor improvements all over in the D model btw.
- My state has no state discount - makes CPO more attractive.
- But none of the CPO cars currently are exactly what I want :). They all have stuff I don't want (either I am paying extra for crap I don't want, or they are not what I want).
- Model S, especially the 2012 ones, had questionable reliability issues. 12V battery, Sunroof, Door Handles etc. etc. etc. I don't expect the newer ones to be perfect, but they are better.

Long story short, I priced out exactly the MS I want, and the closest CPO equivalent. For me, the price difference was around 10-15K, and the car had around 15K miles for a 2013. Honestly, I think for that (and I keep my cars > 8 years), I think I'll most probably go for new .. .. ..

UNLESS .. a CPO shows up with EXACTLY what I want. I am expecting some "Ds" CPOs to show up by end of the year too. Though god knows for what price!

I AM SO CONFUSED! UGH!

But there is one thing I am less confused about now, the used model S private sellers are delirious. They are asking for absurd prices. A CPO market backed by Tesla with a solid warranty will hopefully push them into reality and maybe we can pick up some deals there .. perhaps! Don't forget, the Tesla warranty is 50K/4years from the date YOU get it. Thats pretty damn good for a used car IMO.

BTW, the CPO P85D in the forums, doesn't even have tech package. Why oh why would anyone order that! :-/

I'm a good one to answer that question because I bought the last Model S built without folding mirrors - delivered Sept 25 2013, VIN 20791. So if you get a VIN higher than that, or built in Oct or later of 2013, you're good.

Are you sure? There were 2 cars delivered the same day I picked mine up for factory delivery with the tech package and without folding mirrors. Their owners wanted to know how I got them, which was that I had to call and make a last minute change to my order the October day they made the new tech package available (and pay the price difference). A few days later my car entered production, and it delivered in November.

Like most of the other changes of the day, there's no hard cutoff because Tesla responded to buyer requests prior to the vehicles entering the build process.

Edit: I was curious, so I looked what day the folding mirrors were announced for purchase, which was October 22nd. The last vehicles without folding mirrors wouldn't have started rolling off the line until November or December at the earliest given the way Tesla rolled it out (all existing orders kept the non-folding mirror tech package unless they called and requested the new one).

Last edited:
I think the hardware differences is really driving the price down CPO's right now

I'm not sure about that, to be honest. You could look at the issue conversely by asking, is the autopilot hardware worth the over $20,000 difference in price between CPO and new? I suspect the answer from most folks would be no. Of course there is much more difference than Autopilot - there is also mileage and age.

Last edited:
I considered used before buying new, but there weren't any in the market (in Canada). That narrowed my decision a bit.

If you've got lots of used around nearby to have a look at, by all means have a look!
At least you know you're getting an 8 year drive train warranty.

Also, never assume you have a feature because of a VIN or mfg date!
Look for the feature on the car, test it. For those that are important for you.
Other found features are just "bonuses" but may push up the price... to something you don't want.
Know your ground, like any other used car.

If I found a reasonable S85 today for $30 grand less. Hell yes! Based on my S85 experience to date, it would land in my garage and my wife would be driving one too.

I live in snowy Canada, and the "D" for AWD is not justified in my mind.. not needed!
Auto-pilot? Nix. Same reason: snowy Canada... I can't use those features MOST OF THE YEAR!

I always buy 2 or 3 years old used but not in this case. I ordered 2 months ago prior to the CPO program and stupid used MS sellers were asking prices on P85's and new P85D only about $20K after the incentives were factored in.

Get CPO or private party sale. I "stole" a loaded 2014 P85+ for under 80k. That's 50K left for a lot of other goodies.

If you wait until the x comes out you will see another rush to dump the "old tech". So they can buy the same sled with a different body. ��

also so if you check out eBay you can do a search to see what the cars are actually selling for.

Are you sure? There were 2 cars delivered the same day I picked mine up for factory delivery with the tech package and without folding mirrors. Their owners wanted to know how I got them, which was that I had to call and make a last minute change to my order the October day they made the new tech package available (and pay the price difference). A few days later my car entered production, and it delivered in November.

Like most of the other changes of the day, there's no hard cutoff because Tesla responded to buyer requests prior to the vehicles entering the build process.

Edit: I was curious, so I looked what day the folding mirrors were announced for purchase, which was October 22nd. The last vehicles without folding mirrors wouldn't have started rolling off the line until November or December at the earliest given the way Tesla rolled it out (all existing orders kept the non-folding mirror tech package unless they called and requested the new one).

LOL! I'm so glad to know I wasn't the last, then!!! I always thought I was. They gave me the sad news that I was one of the last ones without them when I got my car, so I just assumed I was the last! But now I feel better there were some retched souls who bought after me that didn't get them either! I asked, and they said "sure - you can get them added - $2700.00 please!". I said no thank you.

Actually I'm more disgusted I didn't wait a year and get the auto-pilot. But I didn't know they were coming out with auto-pilot. In all honesty I can say I heard a voice telling me there was something wrong with buying a car this expensive that didn't even have traffic-aware cruise, but I didn't listen to it. I seldom do listen when I have a good idea, unfortunately.

I bought a used S85 with 8300 miles on it last August and saved about $20K in the process. This was a few months before AWD and autopilot were announced. My VIN is around 11xxx, so it didn't come with folding mirrors. While folding mirrors would be nice, my car fits fine through my standard double wide garage door with a centimeter or two to spare. ;-)

I am very happy with the car and would buy it again. My only regret is not getting the upgraded sound system.

I bought a used S85 with 8300 miles on it last August and saved about $20K in the process. This was a few months before AWD and autopilot were announced. My VIN is around 11xxx, so it didn't come with folding mirrors. While folding mirrors would be nice, my car fits fine through my standard double wide garage door with a centimeter or two to spare. ;-)

I am very happy with the car and would buy it again. My only regret is not getting the upgraded sound system.

I also wanted the upgraded stereo. But that said, I don't use XM, so I comforted myself knowing I could spend less for about the same in an aftermarket installation or pay the same for a significantly improved system compared to the Tesla upgrade.

My CPO car (which will be delivered next week !) is a 2012 P85 Signature series. 21K miles. One of the first 300 built. I am fervently hoping that most of its "bugs" or build issues have been sorted out by the Previous Owner and the SC at this stage. Since it comes with a warranty, hopefully Tesla has corrected those issues already. Any experience or opinions on this?

My CPO car (which will be delivered next week !) is a 2012 P85 Signature series. 21K miles. One of the first 300 built. I am fervently hoping that most of its "bugs" or build issues have been sorted out by the Previous Owner and the SC at this stage. Since it comes with a warranty, hopefully Tesla has corrected those issues already. Any experience or opinions on this?

I have one of those and it hasn't had many problems at all.

Much attention was paid to the Sigs during manufacture and Elon inspected a number of them himself. I would expect the build quality to be superior, and any component failures would be covered under the warranty. I wouldn't worry. The CPO cars also receive a 200 point inspection and Tesla has likely already updated the car to the most current service bulletins.

If brianman's guess is correct, that is Scott and Mary's car. It sure served them well. My Sig lives near them and while it had some of the typical early-car issues (noisy pano and AC, failing door handles, poor defroster vents, etc) Tesla has already fixed them and the cars are great.

If brianman's guess is correct, that is Scott and Mary's car. It sure served them well. My Sig lives near them and while it had some of the typical early-car issues (noisy pano and AC, failing door handles, poor defroster vents, etc) Tesla has already fixed them and the cars are great.
I met them at Cars and Coffee, and happened to see them leave when they traded it in at the Seattle service center months later. When we first pulled up I said "woah, Sig" as I saw it in the lot, and then saw them pulling out in a new shiny moments later.