Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why California is Winning the Electric Car Race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article misses one point: the isolation of CA's gasoline market. With different formulation / clean air requirements supported (a bit) by geographic isolation, gas prices here are always 15%+ higher on average than in the rest of the country. I think that adds at least a little bit of tilt towards alternate energy. I think it points to not much of a rise in the price of gasoline being necessary before the rest of the country "gets it".

There's another point, which is perhaps more acute from a UK perspective: You had them before.

All those EVs running around in the late 90s / early 00s plus all the resulting publicity must have shown the average Joe that they worked, regardless of whether they owned one or even rode in one. We never had that over here and I suspect 9x% of the population are even unaware that it happened. The same is probably true in other North American markets.

Actually I think the "average Joe" here used to think the late 90s EVs failed. When I got a used one, various people said "didn't they stop making those because they didn't work?" They didn't follow the saga and assumed product ended=product failed.

WKtEC opened some eyes, but it is the new products (e.g.: Tesla Roadster & Nissan Leaf) that are getting the mainstream interested. The EVs of the late 90s were a blip and a distant memory even here in California.

Actually I think the "average Joe" here used to think the late 90s EVs failed. When I got a used one, various people said "didn't they stop making those because they didn't work?" They didn't follow the saga and assumed product ended=product failed.

WKtEC opened some eyes, but it is the new products (e.g.: Tesla Roadster & Nissan Leaf) that are getting the mainstream interested. The EVs of the late 90s were a blip and a distant memory even here in California.

I would agree on this. There is a fair bit of eduction that comes with a Tesla battery conversation.
I usually go with "We are ready now, look at your cell phone." rather than trying to convince them that the electric cars were working fine before.

I'd question the article. Taking Leaf reservations as a measure, for eg., WA has higher per capita reservations than CA.

Low cost greener power, mild weather and smaller commutes make EVs more attractive in WA and OR. Except perhaps more people in WA and OR think of any cars as unsustainable .... including our cyclist mayor here.