Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can Tesla not do this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...that has seats that do not even fold down I begin to wonder...
When Elon said how amazing the seats in the Model X were going to be, what I (and many of the other Tesla fanboys on this site) envisioned was something very close what that Land Rover video shows (perhaps also with swiveling seats). All the whining you're reading is because instead of that, we got seats that don't fold, which can't be controlled reliably, and have minimal configurability, let alone the worthless ventilated front seats. So they're taking it out on you for showing what should have been in the Model X.

We still can't even do this nearly a year since the car was first delivered (to six people):

Model-X-Cargo-2.jpg

And what ever happened to this?

TxqHrWu.png

When Elon said how amazing the seats in the Model X were going to be, what I (and many of the other Tesla fanboys on this site) envisioned was something very close what that Land Rover video shows (perhaps also with swiveling seats). All the whining you're reading is because instead of that, we got seats that don't fold, which can't be controlled reliably, and have minimal configurability, let alone the worthless ventilated front seats. So they're taking it out on you for showing what should have been in the Model X.

We still can't even do this nearly a year since the car was first delivered (to six people):

View attachment 192311
I thought I was going crazy. Thank you. That's exactly what I am saying. My Lexus CT200H can store a ton with seats folded down in back. Since I would own the 3rd tesla in my city and first X I was just curious. I haul stuff more than people. Also S seats can fold down. How and why is it so hard?

And again with no lease options I don't want new seats to come out 3 days after I take delivery and get my cars equity slapped.

Fair concern IMHO

The Model X is not right for you. In fact, Tesla is not right for you. Don't execute the MVPS. You'll be out $2500, but better that than taking a bath that will cost you tens of thousands.

Head on over to a Range Rover dealer and get the gee-whiz seat gizmos you really want. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with this. If you're this concerned over it, then just pass. Don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy, get the car that will make you happy.

I thought I was going crazy. Thank you. That's exactly what I am saying. My Lexus CT200H can store a ton with seats folded down in back. Since I would own the 3rd tesla in my city and first X I was just curious. I haul stuff more than people. Also S seats can fold down. How and why is it so hard?

And again with no lease options I don't want new seats to come out 3 days after I take delivery and get my cars equity slapped.

Fair concern IMHO
What's interesting is that a lot of us placed our deposits when the prototype had folding seats (that second photo of @Blastphemy's). When it was revealed, with much confusion and vagueness, that the car wouldn't have that ability, I agreed with and accepted the frustration of any reservation holder that had beef with it. That could be seen as a bait and switch.

The thing that confuses me is that you knew exactly what you were getting, and you're suddenly complaining about it. That's a vastly different situation than the one in which many of us were placed.

Reactions: vandacca
I always find it strange when people start complaining about 'new features being released every week' and see that as a negative.
I see OTA improvements as something very positive and unique.
Which other car gets better over time and can activate new features for free.
And with any other car, you have to buy a new car to enjoy new or updated features.
Only exception, of course, is the updated navigation maps they sell to you once a year for $500.

I always find it strange when people start complaining about 'new features being released every week' and see that as a negative.
I see OTA improvements as something very positive and unique.
Which other car gets better over time and can activate new features for free.
And with any other car, you have to buy a new car to enjoy new or updated features.
Only exception, of course, is the updated navigation maps they sell to you once a year for $500.
Literally zero people complain about ota updates (except when they go backwards and restrict use).

Referring to hardware. Seats, 2.0, facelift, autopilot 1.0, new cameras, etc etc. this plus with no good lease options shifts depreciation liability on end user.

Oh, I thought you meant OTA updates with your description of "new features being released every week".
If you're indeed refer to hardware upgrades then I think your expression used is a bit exagerated.
Yes, we see hardware improvements and probably faster than with any other carmaker. But to complain about it, means you would rather have a company not improving it's product ? How silly !
And do you use the same argument with the computer and mobile phone industry or do you still have a pre-smartphone mobile phone ?

Oh, I thought you meant OTA updates with your description of "new features being released every week".
If you're indeed refer to hardware upgrades then I think your expression used is a bit exagerated.
Yes, we see hardware improvements and probably faster than with any other carmaker. But to complain about it, means you would rather have a company not improving it's product ? How silly !
And do you use the same argument with the computer and mobile phone industry or do you still have a pre-smartphone mobile phone ?

Apple iPhone analogy. Never ever have heard that one used with tesla. $500 phone vs $100k car. How many times can we go over the same thing?

Again if you had a lease option great... but when tesla doesn't and early adopters get to enjoy all the deprecation that comes with new unpredictable advances is the issue.

Also no price breaks before an upgrade or major change. Just a discount on people's used cars.

Imagine being the vin 1 car before 2.0 or before autopilot period. Or getting a 90d one day and realizing you could have paid $10k yesterday for a p100d or $20k for exact same car. I'll gladly buy a new iPhone every 5 months and be happen. I usually sell my old one for 75% cost of new one. iPhones have less deprecation than teslas. AND it's $100 not $10k+ a year.

What is the depreciation of a Tesla after 2 or 3 years ?
And I refer to owned cars.
Where I live, this would be around 30% after 3 years and less after two years.
I used to drive cars that usually lost 50% and more in that period.
What is the depreciation of a Tesla Model S in the US after 2 and 3 years ?
And how does that compare to other luxury sedans ?