Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can Tesla not do this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

number12

Supporting Member
Aug 16, 2016
Tesla

Is anything in that video that hard? While I wait for my $100,000 SUV that accelerates as fast as a Ford Explorer, and that has seats that do not even fold down I begin to wonder...

ONLY reason I even have any second guessing is unpredictable depreciation, and literally zero options to lease in the state of GA. Tesla doesn't make leasing an option in my state IMHO.

Negatives:
PRICE
Seats
Range
Depreciation
Unpredictability (new features being released every week - which furthers above point)
No service center 2.5 hrs from me
High cost to charge fast at home
Soft paint
Backs of seats that look at you and say scratch me.. go ahead do it.
No discount for Dec 16 model vs Jan 17 model, which usually would not bother me, but if you are using CARMAX for your trade in values... don't tell me they will understand the difference to a science.

Pros:
EV
Tesla
exclusivity
obvious stuff..

I feel like on this site I constantly have to play Devils Advocate because there is no one to take the other side of the coin to have a informative debate.

• Love
Reactions: Blastphemy
The Tesla product is not right for you. Nothing wrong with that. However before you get too excited about all the things that Land Rover does I can tell you their quality sucks. Most of those things in the video will break within 12 months or less. Our family has owned 4 Rover products in the last 7 years and all were total junk. We have owned a Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, LE7 and LR4.

you can lease in GA... though GA's TAVT makes it expensive to do so.
Same exact monthly payment with only 10,000 miles.

Lease $13,500 down
Buy $2,500 down with $7500 cash back in April. (Effectively ($5000).

So unless X is worth $18,500+acquisition/turn in fee less than residual value in 3 years there's literally no one that should lease GA.

Tell me why I'm wrong? Maybe it will be really be worth that much less in 3 years, but I'm honestly asking.. Is my math wrong?

The Tesla product is not right for you. Nothing wrong with that. However before you get too excited about all the things that Land Rover does I can tell you their quality sucks. Most of those things in the video will break within 12 months or less. Our family has owned 4 Rover products in the last 7 years and all were total junk. We have owned a Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, LE7 and LR4.
That hasn't been my experience. Currently own a 2016 Range Rover, previously had a 2012 LR4, 2012 Range Rover supercharged, and a 2006 Range Rover. The 2006 wasn't great but the others were flawless.

Does anyone know when this LandRover will be released?
Hi,

Hmmm you should be asking on a land rover site. Tesla website - you're going to encounter ppl who have landrover attitudes from amused with to downright hostile about.

I agree with Hitman's LRover assessment. They are shiny, sparkly when new but most will have massive depreciation and a lot of (expensive) reliability problems. If reliability and depreciation are top concerns, look at Toyota/Lexus. imho.

Reactions: Hitman007
For most of us, being an EV takes precedence over the issues you raise. If that's not a priority for you, then you may not want the expense of the X.

What do you mean by "high cost to fast charge at home"? Just have a 50A circuit (NEMA 14-50) installed and you'll have a full charge overnight. That's usually under $500 unless your house needs additional electrical work.

Reactions: madodel
For most of us, being an EV takes precedence over the issues you raise. If that's not a priority for you, then you may not want the expense of the X.

What do you mean by "high cost to fast charge at home"? Just have a 50A circuit (NEMA 14-50) installed and you'll have a full charge overnight. That's usually under $500 unless your house needs additional electrical work.

to make use of $1500 feature you need $550 wall charger, 100amp circuit, electrician work, etc... if your garage panel is not big enough that is a whole other thing. Its not strange to hear people spending $4K+ for home charging.

Its an extra $50K for mainly extra range... fast charging should and is important to everyone.

[...]
I feel like on this site I constantly have to play Devils Advocate because there is no one to take the other side of the coin to have a informative debate.

You're not doing a very good job at that...I think the only valid negative on your list are seats (if you cannot live with 6 seat configuration) and distance to service center. Rest is up to debate or not true (depreciation, unpredictability and soft paint being somehow unique to Tesla).

As to positives I think it's worth mentioning:

safety
charging at home overnight
little cabin noise
automatic doors
less pollution

to make use of $1500 feature you need $550 wall charger, 100amp circuit, electrician work, etc... if your garage panel is not big enough that is a whole other thing. Its not strange to hear people spending $4K+ for home charging.
No, people who opt for the 72A charger (or the previous dual chargers) usually do so to have that faster charging option at destination chargers when traveling. That's what the $1500 feature is for. Having a 100A circuit in your garage is overkill for almost everyone, it's only useful if you routinely come home from a long trip and then leave on a long trip that same day. Charging at 40A overnight will completely charge the car. What difference does it make if you finish charging earlier during the night?

40A charging at home is fast enough for the average owner, unless you have unusual circumstances. I've been charging that way for more than three years and never had the need for faster charging in my garage. I've wished I had dual chargers a few times when traveling, but that's a different use.

No, people who opt for the 72A charger (or the previous dual chargers) usually do so to have that faster charging option at destination chargers when traveling. That's what the $1500 feature is for. Having a 100A circuit in your garage is overkill for almost everyone, it's only useful if you routinely come home from a long trip and then leave on a long trip that same day. Charging at 40A overnight will completely charge the car. What difference does it make if you finish charging earlier during the night?

40A charging at home is fast enough for the average owner, unless you have unusual circumstances. I've been charging that way for more than three years and never had the need for faster charging in my garage. I've wished I had dual chargers a few times when traveling, but that's a different use.
I have the HPWC and I agree with what TexasEV writes here. I almost always charge at night so instead of charging for 4-5 hours it charges for 2-2.5 hours while I'm sleeping. There have been a few times I forgot to plug in so having the ability to put a few miles on quickly was helpful, but it wasn't anything I have really needed. Just don't tell my wife that. ;-)

Its an extra $50K for mainly extra range... fast charging should and is important to everyone.

I've had a Tesla for 2 years, and have never have encountered a situation where I would need anything more than a 14-50. Regardless, if you're concerned about cost, a Model X 90D is not the vehicle for you.

Our RR memory is of an underpowered / unreliable pos. The Xfer case blew out just as we were selling it & just before the warranty expired thankfull. A painless lesson.