Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can the Tesla app open the frunk but not the trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, doesn't this only work if the phone is within bluetooth range?

Nope, it uses the internet to talk to the car, the same way it does when using the app from outside of BT range to turn the HVAC on.

The commands in the Android notification area DOES require the phone-key BLE (bluetooth low energy) connection to function. If you only have a data connection, the commands in the notification go away (you get a message to enable BT instead), and you have to use the controls in the app to open t/frunk.

Also, if the phone isn't prompting for confirmation, then you're using the BLE direct connection. If you're relying on a data connection (tesla APIs), the app will ask for confirmation. Presumably this is because if you're close enough to issue the command, there's less of a security risk. But with just the data connection, you could be unlocking the car or opening the trunk from the other side of the earth. Could be a security issue if it were accidental :)

• Helpful
Reactions: SD_Engnr
The commands in the Android notification area DOES require the phone-key BLE (bluetooth low energy) connection to function. If you only have a data connection, the commands in the notification go away (you get a message to enable BT instead), and you have to use the controls in the app to open t/frunk.
Interesting. Tested this by turning Bluetooth off; the notification controls remains. I was able to Unlock the car, go into the app proper, and see that 'Unlock' had changed to 'Lock' as expected. Didn't feel like running outside to reclose the frunk, so I didn't test that, but I will before work tomorrow I suppose.

Interesting. Tested this by turning Bluetooth off; the notification controls remains. I was able to Unlock the car, go into the app proper, and see that 'Unlock' had changed to 'Lock' as expected. Didn't feel like running outside to reclose the frunk, so I didn't test that, but I will before work tomorrow I suppose.

i have no idea how you have this working, it does not function like this for me. i just tested it - expanded the notification (while phone key connected), then turned off bluetooth. immediately the notification buttons went away. didn't come back until i turned bluetooth back on and the phone key reconnected.

i have no idea how you have this working, it does not function like this for me. i just tested it - expanded the notification (while phone key connected), then turned off bluetooth. immediately the notification buttons went away. didn't come back until i turned bluetooth back on and the phone key reconnected.
Next you'll try to tell me that Teslas sometimes act inconsistently in the same situations. :)

• Funny
Reactions: crackers8199

Also, if the phone isn't prompting for confirmation, then you're using the BLE direct connection. If you're relying on a data connection (tesla APIs), the app will ask for confirmation. Presumably this is because if you're close enough to issue the command, there's less of a security risk. But with just the data connection, you could be unlocking the car or opening the trunk from the other side of the earth. Could be a security issue if it were accidental :)

My Tesla phone app ALWAYS prompts me for a frunk/trunk open confirmation.

No matter if the app is Connected ( close ) or not ( far away ).

I'm not even sure how to access that. I'll have to look.

It's tricky to get to (if available on your phone - I have a SGS 7).

Settings > Apps > Tesla > Notifications > ON + App Icon Badges + Notifications + Phone Key Status (All on, various modes of alerts customizable).

The one that allows you to keep it on the status bar = Phone Key Status: Turn it on.

• Informative
Reactions: Nocturnal