Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can't a $100K Raven X do what a $50K Chevy does with its cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The short answer is: because no one car can realistically be expected to do everything every other car does.

That said, there are some neat features in the truck camera system. Some are irrelevant for a car versus a truck, but some would be useful. I especially like the side view option to avoid damaging the tire rims. The forward looking features are silly, in my opinion: that's what a front windshield is for.

If you suggest a particularly useful feature to Tesla, you may find that a Tesla can indeed do this... it's mostly SW, which Tesla continually evolves.

Did I say every car needs everything. A few of these options would be really nice. And yes, a lot could be done in software.
Not sure Tesla cameras can see tires, but they should see the curb and body. I suspect these cameras are out on the larger sideview mirrors.

I tow with my Model X so a lot of it would be very useful.

And no, you can't even see the hood or corner on some Tesla's (it's always a guess). Also you are seeing if you'll clear something (BEFORE you get there) even going forward in a tight spot (especially with a trailer) could be very handy. I had this for rearview trajectory on my Jeep where it shows the trajectory better than my eyeball will. The same applies going forward.

They (Tesla or any company) could go a step further and include your trailer in the model if you supply the distance to the axles, width and length.

You can turn off your FanBoy switch now. This is pretty nice system.
You didn't say in those words "every car needs everything", but if you think about for a bit, you'll realize that the logical implication of your question "Why can't a $100K Raven X do what a $50K Chevy does with its cameras?"
requires exactly that. Take any arbitrary vehicle (like the only one that has a particular feature), ask why a Tesla doesn't do that. The only possible way this question wouldn't arise is if a Tesla did everything every other vehicle does. This is not a Fanboy switch stuck in the on position. Merely logic.

I agree the Chevy system is pretty nice.

My Tesla gives my distances to the front and rear bumper on screen, measured in cm. Seems a pretty good substitute for the seeing the front (or rear) bumper. Oh, and the Chevy doesn't seem to do that.

And showing the rear trajectory is also already implemented with my Tesla. The midpoint line with the Chevy is a nice touch, especially if you're lining up a trailer hitch. And predicting a trailer trajectory when backing up with trailer, taking the towing vehicle steering input into account, would be very spiffy feature, indeed.

Sorry if you can't judge forward trajectory well. Should be learned skill for every driver, since it's practiced almost 100% of the time.

So I guess it would be helpful if you would articulate exactly what Tesla is missing, and make a feature request.

Gotta call a spade a spade. Tesla really does need to offer 360 views cams - and they could easily do it at marginal additional cost.

Part of me wonders whether they are not doing it because that would mean they are "admitting defeat" on Autopilot - as some might say (not me though) a self driving car would not need these. Now, to be clear I believe that the 2 could easily co-exist, fr a bunch of reasons including that sometimes you might want to drive your own car - even in a 100% autopilot world, or towing applications etc

They should offer cameras on the S & X as standard - the hardware cost of revised mirror housings to include additional cameras and 1 or 2 in the front bumper if needed shouldn't be more than $500 in cost to them - and people would happily pay double or triple that.

IT would be a great way to further differentiate 3&Y from s&x, and increasing msrp for all of them

Check this camera system out for a Chevy Pickup truck !!

I'm familiar with most, but not all of what this video features in my current vehicle and would miss it. Hopefully ... Tesla will introduce these features in subsequent versions of the software as the hardware is already installed.

What I saw that was not familiar was the rear view mirror alternating between being a mirror or being a display! Presumably, it is 'just' a display with two modes ... it looks like a mirror or it looks like a camera. Mirrors are cheap ... displays are not!

Biggest reason is probably that the Tesla cameras were designed to feed data to the autopilot. The 360 cameras on other vehicles are simply designed to provide a marketing device to show areas around a car.

You could also change your title to "How come my ____ car cannot preform autopilot duties, even though it has lots of cameras for 360 viewing".

Two totally different products.

Tesla is designed for future FSD capabilities. Your Chevy truck is designed so you will not bump into something close by.

Biggest reason is probably that the Tesla cameras were designed to feed data to the autopilot. The 360 cameras on other vehicles are simply designed to provide a marketing device to show areas around a car.

You could also change your title to "How come my ____ car cannot preform autopilot duties, even though it has lots of cameras for 360 viewing".

Two totally different products.

Tesla is designed for future FSD capabilities. Your Chevy truck is designed so you will not bump into something close by.

Show me the FSD features that AP2 folks were promised how many years ago? And no, Smart Summons and NoA doesn’t cut the mustard.

Do really want to use “marketing” as an argument against Chevy deployed camera system vs the Hyped up FSD that will be feature complete by end of year.

It’s true, they are optimized for different purposes but why can’t I wish for better camera views with the hardware we have?

I also wish Tesla would put in rear radar like most well equipped cars have. I honestly don’t think FSD is a reality with out it.

I've had the virtual overhead + forward and rear + right side forward curb view on my former and current '13 Leaf SV w/premium package. Nissan calls this Around View Monitor. My previous '13 had one more package. Those were a lot less than $50K. My current Leaf I bought used in July 2015 for under $10K before tax and license.

My '19 Bolt also has virtual overheard, forward and reverse view but unfortunately doesn't have the right side curb view. I also have the center rear view mirror that can be just a mirror or show you the car's other rearview camera. To toggle the modes, you flip the day/night lever at the bottom, just like in the video. I can adjust the brightness but can't adjust the aim/image cropping/position nor zoom. I first experienced it on a test drove of a Bolt years ago.

'18+ Leaf also has such a mirror optional and of course, Around View Monitor is available.

I've test driven recent Toyotas (Rav4 and Camry, IIRC from earlier this year) that have virtual overhead, forward, reverse, light and right side curb view w/zoom in/out.

Last edited:
My Tesla gives my distances to the front and rear bumper on screen, measured in cm. Seems a pretty good substitute for the seeing the front (or rear) bumper. Oh
Just don't trust it too much.

There's a particular concrete wall around where the Tesla tells me "12 inches" when it physically touches the wall.

Camera is way more precise.

OP would get banned, laughed off a Porsche forum if he asked:

"Why can't a 250K Taycan S do what a $50K Chevy does with its cameras".

Feature holes would be found in Bentleys, Bugattis.

FFS the Presidential Limo has a fridge with his own blood in case transfusions are needed.

It can jam air to ground missiles but but.. CARPLAY.

LMAO

4th Highest Requested Feature out of 450 !!!

MoreTesla

Yeah, they should all be banned for even thinking like this. Ungrateful owners they are.

You need to work a little harder to bash my suggestions.

• Love
Reactions: Blastphemy
Gotta call a spade a spade. Tesla really does need to offer 360 views cams - and they could easily do it at marginal additional cost.

Part of me wonders whether they are not doing it because that would mean they are "admitting defeat" on Autopilot - as some might say (not me though) a self driving car would not need these. Now, to be clear I believe that the 2 could easily co-exist, fr a bunch of reasons including that sometimes you might want to drive your own car - even in a 100% autopilot world, or towing applications etc

They should offer cameras on the S & X as standard - the hardware cost of revised mirror housings to include additional cameras and 1 or 2 in the front bumper if needed shouldn't be more than $500 in cost to them - and people would happily pay double or triple that.

IT would be a great way to further differentiate 3&Y from s&x, and increasing msrp for all of them
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I doubt it. Of course, at some (minor) cost, I might be tempted. But I gotta say, I wouldn't pay 500$ extra for that, let alone double or triple.

4th Highest Requested Feature out of 450 !!!

MoreTesla

Yeah, they should all be banned for even thinking like this. Ungrateful owners they are.

You need to work a little harder to bash my suggestions.

The suggestion is great. I would support a 360/birds eye cam. The problem is when you insinuate taking your business to a 50K Chevy because a Tesla lacked a feature.

You would do no such thing.

It's not a fanboy switch btw. It's a realistic assessment of where Tesla stands. $ for $, there is not a better OVERALL vehicle. I could make some dumb *sugar* post like:

My 20 year old, $3K Civic I just bought has better cupholders than this $100K Model X.

I had 360 view in my '14 M5 and I do miss it but since my Model3 simply destroys my old M5 in most other areas, the omission was forgiven ;). I have towed an express cruiser extensively and rear cam towing views are indeed priceless and would appreciate those if I was towing in an X. The BMW system was quite good in the daylight but in poor weather, underground parking lots or darkness the BMW system was virtually useless. I would definitely like to see a 360 view added though.

The suggestion is great. I would support a 360/birds eye cam. The problem is when you insinuate taking your business to a 50K Chevy because a Tesla lacked a feature.

You would do no such thing.

It's not a fanboy switch btw. It's a realistic assessment of where Tesla stands. $ for $, there is not a better OVERALL vehicle. I could make some dumb *sugar* post like:

My 20 year old, $3K Civic I just bought has better cupholders than this $100K Model X.

My post was not insinuating I’m about to take my business to a Chevy Pickup. I was just shocked they had such a nice system available. And with all our cameras and hardware we have nothing close to it.

Did I imply I’m gonna dump the Model X, I love for a Chevy pickup truck. I’ve never owned a pickup truck and probably never will.

You can add your cup holders to the moretesla site if you want. We are talking something more serious here, camera capabilities. A feature that seems pretty important to a lot of us. If you want to downplay it and compare it to cup holders and 250k sports cars that’s up to you.

The X is a Sport UTILITY Vehicle.

Not sure what you are really trying to do here other than save face to try and make my post look ridiculous. I think the cup holder comment was about as lame as you can get. Don’t you have something better to do?

My post is a reasonable feature request and I posted it the way I did to make folks aware what competing brands are offering these days for their dollars. And yes a little bit of click bait in the title.

I don’t care that much for the parking aspects but it would be handy when trailering. I have some really tight spots I need to maneuver around that are large boulders and granite posts that are very hard to see and sometimes must get uncomfortably close to. The alarms are going the whole time and nearly useless. I have to get out and look.

Reactions: Ocelot
Are you tracking this thread to after fit 360 camera system?

360 surround view + HDMI kit testing

Yes Thanks -- have been watching it. I like it - and might consider it if someone locally is doing installs.

Would much prefer an OEM setup better integrated into Tesla tech - but in the absence of that - it's an interesting idea , and I applaud the folks doing it for trying something

I've had 360-degree camera views in my cars since 2007 when it was first offered in the Infiniti EX (as Around View Monitor). Years went by before any other manufacturer offered this. First only SUVs had it; now almost every vehicle I look at has it.... except for my Tesla.

However, Tesla is the only car I know of to offer a built-in 360-degree dash cam for the price of a good USB stick; and to offer Navigate on AutoPilot (let alone AutoPilot itself). Most cars are woefully behind Tesla in terms of tech, especially the electric drive aspect of the car.

But then you find out Teslas can't even play your phone via the USB cable (so you're stuck with Bluetooth), and you just smack your forehead in disbelief. No Android Auto or Apple CarPlay since the USB cable is only for charging. That doesn't make me want to get rid of my Tesla by any stretch of the imagination, but it sure irks me when I get a software update that gives me More Cowbell and Netflix instead of basic features found on many other modern vehicles.

While some of the more glib responses above claim they're such good drivers that forward view or side view is unnecessary, we all know they're really not as good at driving as they think they are, and it never helps to have a little assistance... especially when trying to avoid curb rash and denting the front of your car. I find my Model X's sonor alerts acceptly accurate, but by no means perfect. There definitely have been times if I'd relied on the beeps, I would have hit something.

The great news is that, if (or hopefully "when") Tesla decides to offer this 360-degree camera feature for parking (or even for driving), it'll likely be a software update away. And then KABAM! You've got a new car again with just a 20-minute download.

The great news is that, if (or hopefully "when") Tesla decides to offer this 360-degree camera feature for parking (or even for driving), it'll likely be a software update away. And then KABAM! You've got a new car again with just a 20-minute download.
except there's not enough visibility in front of the car due to the camera positioning. This includes front fenders and in front of the hood where there are significant "Dead zones"

Reactions: MikeBur