Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can't I build a 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went on-line to see the different models, available options and prices. However Tesla won't let me see these without me first giving them a credit card number and putting down a deposit.

Wake up Tesla.

Maybe that's why they got so many refundable deposits, inflating real potential buyers.

Really? Wake up Tesla? Wow.

People who made a reservation know that what was shown on Thursday was a prototype and that the final product won't be available until the end of 2017. In the meantime, it is still being designed. Since it is not finished yet, THAT is why you can't see models or options or prices.

You are more than welcome to wait until those things are known - and be 500K in line.

If people can't see options, how is it that Elon said that -- with options -- the average purchase price was somewhere around $42.5k?

I think he probably has some insight based on Model S/X averages. I'm sure they also know what some options may be and the approximate cost.

But I knew from the start that the reveal was nothing more than the exterior and interior looks and a few specs that are most likely changing. But maybe that's because I follow a little obsessively.

If people can't see options, how is it that Elon said that -- with options -- the average purchase price was somewhere around $42.5k?
This might be some sort of internal Tesla price target.

But I can't understand that it can be the average selling price for the Model 3. It should be substantially higher. It may be that this is the expected ASP for the base version, or something similar.

Well, I am guessing, but I would imagine they have an idea of what options will be offered and at what price. And what options would be the most important to people, and so have an estimate of what the average sale will be. But none of that has been released as of yet. It was told from before the unveil that those details would not be released until closer to production.

It is unusual for a car company to "unveil" this far away from production. But since Tesla is not a typical car company, they need the reservation process to gauge interest and raise capital for the next steps. Since they are so far out, they are keeping things "close to the vest" I'm sure not to tip off competitors.

He's guessing what the average purchase price will be. It's just a guess.

OK, probably it's some kind of complex projection made using spreadsheets and confidential business data, but basically.... it's a guess.

Reactions: PaulJB
Because Elon figured majority of buyers will pay for auto pilot and free supercharging; these two options together would cost you $4,500. Add doc fees and pay for your favorite color, you have your $42,500 M3.

I went on-line to see the different models, available options and prices. However Tesla won't let me see these without me first giving them a credit card number and putting down a deposit.

Wake up Tesla.

Maybe that's why they got so many refundable deposits, inflating real potential buyers.
Check your calendar... April Fools Day was yesterday...