Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can't I buy a model 3 fob in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've tried
1. local- not available
2. Tesla US via shopmate - Tesla cancelled the order due to "policy"
3. Via eBay - nobody ships internationally so I can't even contact them

I need this as my wife's stupid iPhone continuously closes the Tesla app in the background even with location always on. I have no issues with Android.

Any us members out there prepared to help?
Thanks

Reactions: bay74
On a slightly related note, is it possible to purchase a Model 3/Y Keycard in Australia? (Even if you don't own a Tesla yet) I know that you can buy one off the USA website but I'm wondering if there is an email address for a showroom or service centre that I can contact to see if they have any.

On a slightly related note, is it possible to purchase a Model 3/Y Keycard in Australia? (Even if you don't own a Tesla yet) I know that you can buy one off the USA website but I'm wondering if there is an email address for a showroom or service centre that I can contact to see if they have any.

I bought a new pair of keycards from the local service centre (once you have the car you can request them through the Service part of the app).

So I've tried
1. local- not available

I need this as my wife's stupid iPhone continuously closes the Tesla app in the background even with location always on. I have no issues with Android.

Thanks
You could always try Taptes Stupid Key ring for M3 - that is what they have named it...really
Stupid Key Ring for Tesla Model 3

So I've tried
1. local- not available

Thanks

I bought a M3 FOB from the US and had it shipped here via myus.com without any issues. May be worth trying that?

So I've tried
1. local- not available

Thanks
I very rarely have the Tesla app open or even running in the background, key functions pretty close to faultlessly (flat phone excluded). I'd say I've had to either explicitly wake my phones (6s or XR) or launch the app 5 times in a year to get in/drive.

I very rarely have the Tesla app open or even running in the background, key functions pretty close to faultlessly (flat phone excluded). I'd say I've had to either explicitly wake my phones (6s or XR) or launch the app 5 times in a year to get in/drive.
Yeh I identified that it's when my wife's phone gets under 10% charge that the app shuts down along with all the others. She does this regularly overnight as she listens to audio as a sleep assist. Fixed this with airpods pro so she can leave the phone on charge
A key fob gets here Monday. Don't ask how much it ended up costing

The reason I got them is:

a) the look pretty cool as a mini car
b) spare key in case of any phone/card issue
c) the main reason being for at the supermarket. If you change the struts on the frunk/trunk it's just a simple double click with your hand in your pocket without having to look at the phone to open it as you walk to the car (pretty decent range btw).

Funny thing is I don't actually carry any other keys (house has a electronic door lock and garage is homelink) but yeah I still carry that fob.

Looks like this is now available locally. Online store is now up.

Tesla | Vehicle Accessories Model 3

The $220 AUD price seems steep at first, but the US price is $150 USD and at the current exchange rate that's about $210 AUD. Allow for shipping from US and it seems there's no "Australia tax" like other brands.

e.g. Apple iPhone 12 64GB black/sim free in the US is $829 USD (= $1161 AUD) while here the Apple iPhone 12 64GB black/sim free is $1349 AUD. All prices quoted direct from Apple web sites.

The $220 AUD price seems steep at first, but the US price is $150 USD and at the current exchange rate that's about $210 AUD. Allow for shipping from US and it seems there's no "Australia tax" like other brands.

e.g. Apple iPhone 12 64GB black/sim free in the US is $829 USD (= $1161 AUD) while here the Apple iPhone 12 64GB black/sim free is $1349 AUD. All prices quoted direct from Apple web sites.
Tesla have always been good with the prices; Apple have always been robbers.

Have you added in US sales taxes? Prices in AUS must include GST by law. Prices in the USA almost never include state and federal taxes, unless they are specifically stated as included.

As others have said, the $829 USD is ex tax. The Australian price is inc tax.

Once you add sales taxes, eg: Select a New York postcode, the US price jumps to $903 USD

Now you’re at $1264AUD, within 7% of the Australian RRP.

Reactions: Vostok
Strange, I just added a post(zip)code, for five different states and is still came up as $829 USD inclusive of taxes. I tried Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon.

Ok I’m calling bollocks on that :)

By remarkable coincidence, you randomly selected the exact handful of states that have no sales tax.

No issue if you want to use tax free jurisdictions for your price comparison, just make sure you are using the Australian EX GST price so that it’s apples v apples. (No pun intended).

Reactions: Vostok