Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why cant I keep the suspension at “VERY HIGH” in snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving a 2015 P85D Suspension + on 19 inch snows. It snowed 15cm in Toronto on the weekend (FML) and I wanted to keep the car suspension at “very high’ so I wouldn’t snow plow everywhere. It seemed to revert back to “high” and sometimes the “Very High” was grayed out. The car does have amazing traction (close to our extended awd Escalade) but the clearance over snow piles caused by snow plows was very concerning (mostly coming in and out of driveways and where adjacent streets haven't been plowed). Is there a speed limit for “very high”?

Also - Is there a way so the car doesn’t always memorize the “very high” GPS location by default? Now I have to cancel the “very high” as it raises it everywhere I hit the button during the snow storm (I guess I missed hitting the auto X icon a few times).

Thanks!

Very high starts to lower as you speed up. So does high. Try to avoid high speed acceleration while in high or very high. It is very hard on the suspension. Not that you would. With the snow. I want to say 30mph on the very high to high. Not sure on what it takes for speed to go from high to standard.

I also don't care for memorization of more than a couple places. Usually an isolated incident like snow that is used just once.

Driving a 2015 P85D Suspension + on 19 inch snows. It snowed 15cm in Toronto on the weekend (FML) and I wanted to keep the car suspension at “very high’ so I wouldn’t snow plow everywhere. It seemed to revert back to “high” and sometimes the “Very High” was grayed out. The car does have amazing traction (close to our extended awd Escalade) but the clearance over snow piles caused by snow plows was very concerning (mostly coming in and out of driveways and where adjacent streets haven't been plowed). Is there a speed limit for “very high”?

Also - Is there a way so the car doesn’t always memorize the “very high” GPS location by default? Now I have to cancel the “very high” as it raises it everywhere I hit the button during the snow storm (I guess I missed hitting the auto X icon a few times).

Thanks!
Here’s how it works:

• Normal height = 6”
  • High Level 1 = 0.90” taller; When the vehicle accelerates above 19 mph, the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
  • High level 2 = 1.3” above Standard and can be used for ascending a steep driveway or fording deep snow. Clearance reverts to High Level 1 above 10 mph.
  • Low Level = 0.79” under Standard; Active Air Suspension will automatically lower the vehicle for highway driving to improve aerodynamics. Low Level is also accessible from the touchscreen for loading/unloading of passengers. When the vehicle begins driving the clearance adjusts back to Normal height.
  • The suspension will also self-level the car. For example if you load a lot of weight in the trunk the vehicle will remain level.

I agree that very high should be accessible up to 19mph which is the current limit for just the high setting. 10mph when you're driving neighborhoods with snow ruts can be a PITA and high sometimes just isn't high enough.

I also agree that having to manually cancel the memory each time you raise/lower it is tedious. I much prefer the new method they added to the side mirrors in the quick menu to tell it to remember the location as you tell it to fold them. For me, this is MUCH preferred over the automatic part.

A simple way to disable the "auto" part would be ideal.

Last edited: