Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can't I operate summon with the keyfob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really wish I could operate summon with the keyfob without having to pull my phone out, because it requires an Internet connection to work.

When I couldn't get summon to work with the keyfob, I tracked the issue down to a setting that I have enabled to require a continuous key press. I have enabled this for safety so that the car would stop by default as soon as I let go of the button. It seems odd to have to disable this safety feature to be able to use summon from the keyfob.

Has anyone figured out a way to use summon from the keyfob while keeping on the feature to require a constant key press?

It's probably because the fob isn't designed to have continuous press as an input. There is a loss in safety but it is made up by being able to keep an eye on the car while holding the fob, ready to press it to stop. In my experience, the car stops Summon more than necessary.

Let me turn off continuous press and do some testing with the fob.

I just want to make sure I can stop the car instantly.
You can. I ONLY use the FOB now for summon. Car will stop immediately when you press the FOB. Much easier IMO and I feel it’s a safer method. It has never ever failed me. I suspect if the car didn’t have a connection to the FOB during the summon it would not continue anyway....thereby making it virtually impossible for FOB to not be able to stop the car with the last press.
Remember you can always in a panic push a door handle also as last resort.

You can. I ONLY use the FOB now for summon. Car will stop immediately when you press the FOB. Much easier IMO and I feel it’s a safer method. It has never ever failed me. I suspect if the car didn’t have a connection to the FOB during the summon it would not continue anyway....thereby making it virtually impossible for FOB to not be able to stop the car with the last press.
Remember you can always in a panic push a door handle also as last resort.

Thanks! Wonder if the trunk release would also stop the car...