Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can't my model 3 trade stocks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

one2many

Aug 16, 2019
germany
Sorry its most likely been posted, and my wife has the car and I am locked down.
We have AI, we have a huge amount of processing power, the car does not need to
sleep. It could trade stocks all day and night. Even if it only bought Tesla stock
we would all be very rich. I am sure there is some down side, like the car would
want a cut.

• Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller
I think people have posted similar ideas about mining cryptocurrency with their Tesla. But I think realistically it's a pretty specialized computer that has specs only in the areas it needs to display infotainment and operate the ADAS. It wouldn't actually be that great of a computer for general computing.

Great idea: Use the car's AI to predict the market. Better yet, with OTA communication available between the car and the central server at Tesla, Tesla should use the combined distributed computing power of all the cars to predict the market and manage a proprietary mutual fund. Every Tesla owner gets one share of the fund for each car owned, and the distributed system uses just the available computing cycles. The fund would make so much money (thanks to the car's AI) that eventually Teslas would be free.

Are the cars allowed to be aware of fleet data when they are making their trades?

If the car is aware that 200 Tesla's are converging on the XYZ headquarters at 2 AM on Saturday, it may decide that it is a good time to sell XYZ. For extra confidence it can access the interior cameras in those 200 cars and assess the mood of the drivers.

Sorry its most likely been posted, and my wife has the car and I am locked down.
We have AI, we have a huge amount of processing power, the car does not need to
sleep. It could trade stocks all day and night. Even if it only bought Tesla stock
we would all be very rich. I am sure there is some down side, like the car would
want a cut.

The answer is that with computerized trading, the value is in the strategy and the code, not necessarily in the processing power. If all Teslas were running the same software to trade, they’d all placing similar trades, which would distort the market and defeat the purpose (if 10% of the fleet decided to buy X stock because it is a good value at $Y price, it won’t be for very long as the sudden surge of demand will push the stock price higher). Now if you wanted to write unique code to trade stocks, I’d argue you’d probably do better just hosting it in a data center with low latency to a stock exchange rather than trying to run it on your car. If your software works well, the hardware will be a minimal cost relative to the return.

As with many things that can make money, the greatest return is found by having a unique capability or idea. One firm with a unique trading application may find value in using it, but if they sell the same code to dozens of firms, the software will have relatively little value as all the firms will be competing for the same scarce stocks. This is the same reason that all of those online ads promising to sell you a great business idea are scams - if the idea was highly profitable, it would be in the inventor’s interest to run their own company rather than trying to sell the idea to many others.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller