Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can't smartphones communicate directly with your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phones have WiFi and Bluetooth. Teslas have WiFi and Bluetooth.

Why should smartphones need to go thru the internet (which isn't always available) just to allow keyless entry and driving?

Wouldn't it be convenient if your phone or watch virtually replaced the key fob? One less thing to carry.

Aside from the hacking concerns, there's no easy way for two "devices" on a network to know the address of the other unless one or both is published in a Domain Naming Service server. Some home routers will do this locally, some don't. Certainly when your phone and car are on cellular, there's no way to directly find the car's address.

I'm sure that both the App and the car make a secure connection to the Tesla servers which then handles the transaction.

Aside from the hacking concerns, there's no easy way for two "devices" on a network to know the address of the other unless one or both is published in a Domain Naming Service server.

Maybe I'm being naive, but in setting up my Amazon Echo, my phone sees the SSID of the Echo, lets me connect to it, then allows me to proceed to set it up.

It would seem reasonable that the Tesla could do something similar. And use my name & password to provide security for set-up. The phone app could then take care of secure syncing when it was in range. Not unlike connecting you a secured home or office network; when you're in range...you're connected.

Aside from the hacking concerns, there's no easy way for two "devices" on a network to know the address of the other unless one or both is published in a Domain Naming Service server. Some home routers will do this locally, some don't. Certainly when your phone and car are on cellular, there's no way to directly find the car's address.

I'm sure that both the App and the car make a secure connection to the Tesla servers which then handles the transaction.

I think the OP was suggesting either an ad hoc wifi connection directly between the car and the phone or a bluetooth connection directly between the car and the phone. I don't think he was contemplating a connection over the internet via the cellular network. That is basically what we have already with Tesla servers acting as the middle man.

Permitting a direct connection between a phone and the car without Tesla's servers in the middle to verify the traffic is legitimate would be a big security concern which is why they likely wouldn't do it.

This is just flat out wrong, disregard it.

Not only is it wrong, but there are lots of ways for two unknown devices on a local network to discover each other without using DNS, ad-hoc wifi or Bluetooth pairing.

Simple Service Discovery Protocol - Wikipedia
Service Location Protocol - Wikipedia
Universal Plug and Play - Wikipedia
Bonjour (software) - Wikipedia

Just to name a few.

Now let me cut you off right there -- I am NOT suggesting any of these would be a secure or even good solution for having a phone talk directly to the car.

The reason why wifi is unsuitable for what you suggest,
- Wifi requires a complex pairing process.
- Wifi requires your phone to connect to the car's wifi network (if the car had one), and your phone won't autoswitch. Even if Tesla implemented this, it would probably be worse UX than what we already have (going via the internet).
- Wifi also requires a more complex stack at the broadcaster's (the car).

The reason bluetooth is unsuitable,
- It requires pairing - which brings it back to "experience would not be much better than what you have now".
- It is inherently insecure to things such as DDOS or even brute force hacks.

That leaves bluetooth LE.
- This is actually suitable, very similar to how apple watch unlocks your mac when you are in proximity. But ..
.. proximity is a hit or miss, plus minus 10 meter accuracy
.. apple watch relies on touch, unlocked, and accelerometer to detect your movement to unlock your mac.
- So you could use bluetooth LE, but it still won't be automatic since proximity detection is a hit or miss. Connectivity will also be a hit or miss.

So long story short, using bluetooth or bluetooth LE, you could eliminate the need for internet connectivity. But you'd still need to connect to the car, start the app, and request to unlock .. so it can serve as a back up to no internet access. But not much more than that. I suspect Tesla may do this one day, but the return on effort here is very low IMO.

Now what Tesla really ought to do, is to stick a solar panel on top, and eliminate some load on the 12v battery. That would be a real improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
Now what Tesla really ought to do, is to stick a solar panel on top, and eliminate some load on the 12v battery. That would be a real improvement.

Spy photo of the Model 3 with the solar option (an alternative fact):

model-3-Solar.jpg

There's only one reason why the app can't communicate directly with the car. Control. Tesla has it, and they don't want anyone else to.
The more dependant you are on Tesla's infrastructure the better it is for them. You only think it's your car. Tesla really believes it's theirs.

I'd be happy if only the basic functionality of the official Tesla app on my phone could talk directly with the car; and not have to go thru the internet.