TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why can't we create a mode for flat towing a Tesla model 3

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by Jlike, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Jlike

Jlike New Member

I received my Leaf December 2011. It is a great little car for around town but I long for something with the range that can replace my gas car. I am waiting patiently for a Model 3 as I can't afford any of the other Teslas. The problem I have is a need to flat tow this car behind a motor home after I retire. Now my leaf has a wonderful mode called neutral. I place the car in neutral and it will coast for miles with less than a 1% downhill grade. It seems like I should be able to flat tow the leaf in this mode, yet the Nissan will not allow it. Tesla is the only manufacture that comes up with software upgrades. I wonder if there is any thoughts going into providing a flat tow function to the tesla bag of tricks.

2. unreliantrobin

Currently the Model S has tow mode, this allows the car to stay in neutral with the car off. Thus allowing you to flat tow the car. However it will not charge the car while towing.