Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do realize that Android is based on Linux, right? Also, most cars on the road today uses windows QNX. I don’t miss CarPlay at all unlike some. I think if and when Tesla choose to add CarPlay/Android auto support, it’ll be just window shell like the web browser. Last but not least, CarPlay is projected to cars using good old HTTP. At least that’s how the wireless version works.

CarPlay does not use HTTP, it uses iAP2 to transfer between the iOS and headunit.

I appreciate the simplicity of CarPlay. It's a fairly intuitive and familiar interface for anyone with a smartphone - which is most everyone. I feel that Tesla has their own user experience model, which adding either Android Auto or CarPlay would clash against. Not to mention potential revenue from a Tesla app store if such a thing was to exist. Perhaps we will see it one day, at the very least, the option would be nice.

Reactions: Daekwan
CarPlay does not use HTTP, it uses iAP2 to transfer between the iOS and headunit.
I stand corrected. Since IAP can be used in both TCP/IP and QUICK, Apple uses QUICK for wired connections and SDP for wireless connection. And like I mentioned above, Tesla would just open a web shell that sends x and y coordinates back to the IOS device connected to the car. Source: https://devstreaming-cdn.apple.com/...22_developing_carplay_systems_part_1.pdf?dl=1

Last but not least IAP is only used for sensor data 😊.

Reactions: tweaker
I'm going to be coming from a 2015 Honda Odyssey to the MY, so I have never had a car with Carplay. My wife and daughter's cars both have it, and I've used it a little bit, but I don't think it's something I'm going to miss because I use so little of the Carplay functionality. It certainly would have been nice if Tesla had Carplay, but hopefully it won't be a big deal for me to not have it once I take delivery of the MY.

I'm going to be coming from a 2015 Honda Odyssey to the MY, so I have never had a car with Carplay. My wife and daughter's cars both have it, and I've used it a little bit, but I don't think it's something I'm going to miss because I use so little of the Carplay functionality. It certainly would have been nice if Tesla had Carplay, but hopefully it won't be a big deal for me to not have it once I take delivery of the MY.
It depends what you listen to when you drive, but yes, it's hard to miss something you've never had!

Another advantage I've found is consistency - Automotive infotainment interfaces are all over the map in terms of features, usability, etc. Many are down right atrocious. Not withstanding the quality of some of the apps, the Tesla interface is above average. CarPlay is generally one of the better if not the best system I've used but more importantly, it's the same for every car. We have a 2011 Odyssey and I swapped out the radio for a newer unit that had CarPlay and my wife who is generally a technophobe rapidly came to like it. Of course, if all you do is listen to the radio then all of them are fine.

I grew up in the time when you had a single DIN or double DIN or '3 hole' and could fit aftermarket units in, with your own amps, etc etc.

in a way, its good that that era is mostly gone, but it also removes a lot of choice. I even had some decks I carried over from one car to another. there was a nak cd player that I really liked and had for a long time.

but I really shudder to think of android and its really crappy architecture running on anything inside a car. a whole new, SECURE, trimmed down os for infotainment is needed for the industry. and it AINT android (imho). its not apple, either, for that matter; they also are entirely inappropriate for a secure car environment.

writing for cars is just not the same as android or apple.

Reactions: tangible1
I was sort of hoping Elon criticizing "Walled Gardens like Apple" would mean he would allow CarPlay. Right now Tesla's UX is more of a walled garden than Apple and any other car manufacturer. He forces me to only use his apps and the apps he allows. not cool.

It's funny because one thing that made me hesitate before buying my Tesla was that it was a pretty closed company and system. I'm an Android guy, and I guess that translates to other things in my life :D I still ended up buying the Tesla, and I love it... but there are "closed" aspects that I don't like. Some repairability aspects, a proprietary "connector" (plug), a custom UI/OS etc. It's still the best car for me, but it has negatives. Nothing's perfect,,,

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
It's funny because one thing that made me hesitate before buying my Tesla was that it was a pretty closed company and system. I'm an Android guy, and I guess that translates to other things in my life :D I still ended up buying the Tesla, and I love it... but there are "closed" aspects that I don't like. Some repairability aspects, a proprietary "connector" (plug), a custom UI/OS etc. It's still the best car for me, but it has negatives. Nothing's perfect,,,

@GtiMart yeah ditto to pretty much all of that. I do wish that Tesla used a standard charging plug connector but then I also think the Tesla connector is far preferable to CCS. So actually, I guess I wish all manufacturers and charging networks used the Telsa connector instead! Alas, that's for some parallel universe and not ours.

I thought I would miss CarPlay when I bought my Tesla, but I don't. I really like the nav on the Tesla with the ability to pinch in and out on the map and to rotate the screen, so I can see the route far ahead and not just the next few miles. Plus the integration with the charging status of the car and Superchargers is essential. With any of the nav apps on CarPlay it is challenging to zoom in and out. And I have always had connection issues between the car and CarPlay - both with wired and wireless connections. Works most of the time, but sometimes have issues. Text messaging on Tesla is great - especially with voice commands, so don't miss that in CarPlay.

I guess the only things I miss are Audible and Waze. For Audible I just play that from my phone to the car - I can pause and resume on the screen in the Tesla. That is about all the functionality I need for audio books. I just have to remember to queue it up before I drive. When on the interstate I often run Waze on my phone in the wireless charger and have it notify me of speed traps ahead. I run with a radar detector, so it is not essential to have Waze, but I do like the double protection.

I have Spotify premium, so the Spotify app in the car is great. Fortunately we have a Spotify Family Plan as I found I had to create a separate user for the car. If I used my account for the car, I would have issues when my wife was driving the car and I was home listening to Spotify - both of us trying to use the same account. Now the car uses a separate (dedicated account).

If Tesla added an Audible app to the screen, that would be perfect.

Messaging, podcasts are superior on CarPlay.
The ability to get additional app functionality is also nice (thinking ABRP, PlugShare, weather). having access to Siri (even with her flaws) would also be nice.

Other than that, I don’t miss CarPlay as much as I thought I would. I can appreciate highly functional, secure and snappy native “apps”.

Reactions: Daekwan
My experience with Carplay is that it's the junk you get on a rental car because you're too cheap to upgrade to the "luxury" class. While I certainly agree that Tesla's support for Pandora/podcasts/etc. is desperately lacking, I don't see how Carplay could be the solution preferred over native support.

Carplay is intended to be cheap. It eliminates the need for automakers to include any meaningful infotainment hardware or software - just a dumb screen with a graphing calculator-style interface that can't do much of anything other than to (slowly) launch Carplay. It's a hassle to get the thing started (or restarted) every time you drive and it completely devours your phone battery. Plus, people over 25 sometimes still need to drive and they probably don't have unlimited data plans.

Carplay also gets automakers off the hook for updates. Tesla is frequently adding music services, video services and games. Well, actually just games. But in theory they could someday add more music services. And once they add Carplay they'll officially end all development like every other automaker has. So when the next hot Jeezer/Squeezr/Whatever music service comes out they'll just say "use Carplay" which is great in the short term because you'll always be able to use the coolest services that no one has even heard of yet. But in the long term it means that any built-in infotainment would evaporate in the years ahead.

By the way, if you want to use your phone data to microwave your balls as you drive you can put it in hotspot mode since Tesla now supports hotspots in lieu of a premium connectivity plan.

And if you want to use Waze, just get off at the next exit and weave randomly thru whatever neighborhood you find. Then look into the mirror and tell yourself that you saved 3 minutes even though you know in your heart that can't possibly be true.

My experience with Carplay is that it's the junk you get on a rental car because you're too cheap to upgrade to the "luxury" class. While I certainly agree that Tesla's support for Pandora/podcasts/etc. is desperately lacking, I don't see how Carplay could be the solution preferred over native support.

Carplay is intended to be cheap. It eliminates the need for automakers to include any meaningful infotainment hardware or software - just a dumb screen with a graphing calculator-style interface that can't do much of anything other than to (slowly) launch Carplay. It's a hassle to get the thing started (or restarted) every time you drive and it completely devours your phone battery. Plus, people over 25 sometimes still need to drive and they probably don't have unlimited data plans.

Carplay also gets automakers off the hook for updates. Tesla is frequently adding music services, video services and games. Well, actually just games. But in theory they could someday add more music services. And once they add Carplay they'll officially end all development like every other automaker has. So when the next hot Jeezer/Squeezr/Whatever music service comes out they'll just say "use Carplay" which is great in the short term because you'll always be able to use the coolest services that no one has even heard of yet. But in the long term it means that any built-in infotainment would evaporate in the years ahead.

By the way, if you want to use your phone data to microwave your balls as you drive you can put it in hotspot mode since Tesla now supports hotspots in lieu of a premium connectivity plan.

And if you want to use Waze, just get off at the next exit and weave randomly thru whatever neighborhood you find. Then look into the mirror and tell yourself that you saved 3 minutes even though you know in your heart that can't possibly be true.
Wow. So much hate for anything that is not Tesla made. Other people here have very clear points. Calling CarPlay "cheap" and "dumb" reminds me of holy wars between Apple/Android or Canon/Nikon fanboys.

Nobody was talking here about the native os replacement. Carplay and AndroidAuto support can be just implemented to have its own screen (not the full screen). It does not bring any security issues as you still interact with your phone though API in your phone and you merely use a big touch screen of your car to do actions in your phone. I don't see how anyone can be against it. Some may no need this. But being against it suprises me.

I don't miss carplay. And I find it amusing that people with Apple products are complaining about anyone else using a proprietary interface to control the content on/in the device.
iOS is 'closed,' but only sort of- anyone can make an app and CarPlay lets you chose which apps you use or not and you're free to use the Apple apps or 3rd party apps, so it's actually far more open than Tesla. I'm not arguing that Tesla should simply open up its OS. To expand on your point, criticizing Apple for being 'closed' while supporting Tesla is actually more hypocritical.

When I say 'CarPlay,' I mean CarPlay and Android Auto; they both have similar systems. To my knowledge, both operate similarly - they simply use the car's screen as an external touchscreen display.

to each their own, but my experience has been the exact opposite. On balance the CarPlay interface is a vast improvement over most manufacturers' interfaces. Starting it is a matter of simply plugging in your phone, and your phone charges while it's connected, so battery drain is not an issue.

you are correct that it 'gets automakers off the hook for updates,' but in reality, Tesla is the only automaker that makes any attempt at all to update things on a regular basis.

The thing about CarPlay & Android auto is you don't have to use them, but there is a large number of people who prefer them and would like the choice.

i was worried about no carplay either, since i was coming from a lexus nx. overall usability is still there for main things like navigation (was using google maps), music (spotify), and text messenger app.

would i prefer to have carplay again? sure.
does it hinder me on an everyday with tesla's built in system? not at all.

navigation in showing traffic is decent. shows same red/dark red indicators as google maps

navigation in showing traffic is decent. shows same red/dark red indicators as google maps
Do you have a picture? I've never seen any indication of traffic levels, even when I was completely stopped in a traffic jam. When I was trying to decide whether to continue my premium connectivity or not I saw "live traffic visualization" and thought 'really? seems pretty worthless since I've never seen it!'