Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I had traffic display on, but I can’t be sure at this point. My year of premium connectivity expired a few weeks ago and I opted not to pay to continue it.

That’s another advantage of CarPlay/Android Auto. The Tesla navigation is very good. Better than Apple Maps in some ways, worse in others but overall it’s a wash, IMO, except you don’t have to pay extra for traffic with Apple Maps (I assume google maps j Android is the same.)

Reactions: Daekwan
I've not got my MY yet but eagerly waiting but I've noticed a lot of peoples disappointment in Tesla not utilising Apple Carplay

I use Carplay in my current Ford I drive but just wondering what Teslas are 'missing' from Carplay in their entertainment system?
I’d like CarPlay too but I haven’t had it for over a year now and don’t even think about it any more.

Reactions: laservet
. It eliminates the need for automakers to include any meaningful infotainment hardware or software - just a dumb screen with a graphing calculator-style interface that can't do much of anything other than to (slowly) launch Carplay.
Automakers suck at infotainment. And you’re lucky to get any sort of update. I’d rather leave software and UI to software and design experts. CarPlay/android auto is the perfect solution and offers far more integration and extensibility than any automaker is willing to put into it. It also offers a very safe level of future proofing, as those platforms evolve, automakers simply need to offer the interface/“dumb screen”.
I’d rather Tesla focus on FSD and the sheer engineering for that, rather than also keep up with infotainment and phone integrations.

I agree with all your points @Skyeforge except "integration".

It's quite a burden to have to mess with your phone, mess with your screen, run down your battery, and burn thru your data plan every freakin' time you get in the car. So for me the most valuable part of the infotainment is that it does what I want, when I want, without effort - and the only way for that dream to come true is thru OEM integration so I'm grateful for Tesla's efforts in this regard.

It's quite a burden to have to mess with your phone, mess with your screen, run down your battery, and burn thru your data plan every freakin' time you get in the car. So for me the most valuable part of the infotainment is that it does what I want, when I want, without effort - and the only way for that dream to come true is thru OEM integration so I'm grateful for Tesla's efforts in this regard.
It doesn’t sound like you’ve actually used CarPlay. In our other cars, I get in the car and plug in my phone. That’s it - it comes up on the screen automatically. Far less to mess with than playing through a BT connection and my phone charges as long as it’s plugged in. The charging is also faster and more reliably than through Tesla’s wireless charger.

As far as ‘burning through your data plan’ is concerned, I’m having a hard time understanding how that’s a concern. You either use data from your cars connection of from your phone’s connection. If you use the car’s connection you pay extra for it. It doesn’t magically come from nowhere.

streaming audio takes relatively little data; generally less than a MB per min, and my phone is set to download podcasts off the WiFi, so that uses no data. Our T mobile plan included 2 GB per month and I rarely had an issue going over, so unless you’re driving several hours per day and streaming the entire time data is a made up concern.

I agree that “ the most valuable part of the infotainment is that it does what I want, when I want, without effort.” In that, Tesla is better than most, but CarPlay wins, pure and simple.

Reactions: dyau and ucsdsig
I believe correct me if im wrong tesla’s interface is linux based, so i guess it would be hard(not impossible) to implement since almost every other ui from almost every other manufacturer is android based which is simpler to adapt and integrate carplay and android auto.
Android is Linux-based also. If a Chinese company can simulate an android head unit in a usb stick and develop their own wireless CarPlay for $69, shouldn't be a stretch for a $50K car.

I grew up in the time when you had a single DIN or double DIN or '3 hole' and could fit aftermarket units in, with your own amps, etc etc.

in a way, its good that that era is mostly gone, but it also removes a lot of choice. I even had some decks I carried over from one car to another. there was a nak cd player that I really liked and had for a long time.

but I really shudder to think of android and its really crappy architecture running on anything inside a car. a whole new, SECURE, trimmed down os for infotainment is needed for the industry. and it AINT android (imho). its not apple, either, for that matter; they also are entirely inappropriate for a secure car environment.

writing for cars is just not the same as android or apple.
You wanna really shudder, you can realize that the OS in the new Volvo XC40 Electric is all Google-based.. not Android... Google.

Actually, as @sleepydoc mentions, I don't think you've used CarPlay before. I have a total hack to have CarPlay on a tablet in my MY, and I also had wireless CarPlay in my last car. I don't fiddle or 'mess' with anything, run down my battery, or have data plan issues (I have unlimited data, but I also have the Premium Service in the MY).

With wireless CarPlay I get in my MY, set my phone on the built in Qi charger, tap the power button on the tablet and then say "Hey Siri, Getting in the Car to Go". The phone has likely already connected to CarPlay (but doesn't have to have completed the auto-connect yet) and automatically opens the garage door so I can back out, Starts playing my audiobook at the last index, and then checks the day & time and will route me on Waze to work or to home, depending on the time of day (although I'm starting to think that I don't need the nav quite as much for local, since the MY has gotten much better with traffic, and I really only use Waze vs. the in-car now for speed traps).

I would much prefer if that same wireless CarPlay were available without the separate tablet, but it doesn't seem like Elon wants to do that. He should for better CS, but he doesn't. Why anyone would argue that it is better for the consumer not to have access to something that is market pervasive because of user demand, doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: dyau and positiv
I love CarPlay and just ordered a MYLR. I will miss it and will probably run Waze, my #1 app via CarPlay, from my phone.

As navigation software goes, Waze has the best utilization of real-time crowd sourced data. You see a deer munching on grass on the side of the road, simply "tag" it thru Waze and everyone Waze user will get an alert with a marker on their map of where the deer was. See a cop hidden setting up a speed trap, "tag" it and others benefit. Waze also measures your speed and builds traffic profiles to assist others in re-routing if necessary.

What's also nice about CarPlay is that it's seamless when you drive a different car with CP. You instantly know how to use the software.

Most car specific software is confusing garbage and widely different between car manufacturers. I say leave the software to the experts and not Ford/GM/Honda etc.

Now Tesla is different. So much of controlling the car is done thru the UI and not buttons on the dash/stalks, etc. Having Tesla share some of that screen real estate would be very difficult and would require a significant redesign - might not be worth it.

You're thinking that you can stream music anyway without Apple Carplay / Android Auto? That is true. You can also navigate. However, you are stuck with the apps that Tesla provides. I for example would love to use Youtube Music for music streaming as I'm subscribed already. Can't do that without using my cell phone's data plan.
Apple Carplay / Android Auto support essentially means replicating your phone's screen on the car's screen and supporting user input (touches) on that second screen. You can run the apps you want. Don't like Apple Maps? Just run Google Maps, Waze or other... etc...

By not supporting these widespread standards, Tesla forces us into their user experience, removing the possibility to choose otherwise. We'd still use the Tesla UI/UX if it was better than Carplay/Auto, without blocking us...

EDIT: I made one slight mistake in my answer. Carplay/Auto will systematically use the cell phone's data plan, they cannot use the car's data connection. The only exception would be if the car provided a hotspot that the cell phone could connect to. You can forget about that as it could too easily be abused. At least that's my understanding based on what I've read.
It's also worth remembering (not saying CarPlay is a bad idea) that the built-in nav system is much more tightly integrated into the car than is usually the case. For example, you MUST use the build-in system if you want to so Supercharger preconditioning, Navigate on Autopilot or the upcoming Full Self Driving.

I doubt very very much that Tesla would ever allow a 3rd party nav system to integrate with NOA or FSD .. if nothing else the liability exposure would be huge. Nor are they likely to allow a 3rd party nav system to trigger SC preconditioning.

It's also worth remembering (not saying CarPlay is a bad idea) that the built-in nav system is much more tightly integrated into the car than is usually the case. For example, you MUST use the build-in system if you want to so Supercharger preconditioning, Navigate on Autopilot or the upcoming Full Self Driving.

I doubt very very much that Tesla would ever allow a 3rd party nav system to integrate with NOA or FSD .. if nothing else the liability exposure would be huge. Nor are they likely to allow a 3rd party nav system to trigger SC preconditioning.
I agree, Tesla’s navigation is quite good. Apple Maps has the advantage of being linked to your address book and calendar, making it easier to enter/find destinations while Tesla’s is linked to their charging network.

Since I pay for supercharging, it’s cheaper and more convenient for me to charge at home so super chargers are really not much of a concern for me. (I’ve used one 3 times since I got my vehicle a year ago.)Tesla also doesn’t list other, non-Tesla chargers that I’ve seen. I don’t know stats, but I suspect the number of people charging at home is steadily increasing since Tesla quit providing free charging. Bottom line for me is the charging network integration is of little to no value.

I also agree that Tesla won’t allow integration into their system for external apps to allow battery conditioning, nor do I think they should for all the reasons you’ve mentioned.

for me and I suspect many others, maps is a minor reason I want car play; if it were just the maps I’d be content with Tesla’s mapping app. It’s all of the other features/functions, plus the fact that I’m already paying for those features on my phone.

I was very concerned with not having Apple car play, and much to my surprise, XM radio as well. The latter I never even considered to be honest, so when I got my MY I was a bit shocked. Anyway, its a big loss and I wish Tesla would add both. Understanding that Tesla wants you to use their connected services I’m not holding my breath for either to show up. the solution, while not perfect by any means, is just to stream everything from my phone. Yes, its less safe because I’m picking up my phone more, but it works well enough. Other than waze of course. I cant see myself getting a phone mount. Seems completely out of step with driving a space ship.

I just want Waze. I don't care about the rest, to be honest. Proper navigation with cops and waypoint capability on the dash. That's it.
Waze is the best application of crowd sourced traffic and hazard data mixed with GPS navigation. They may not have the best info for Super Charger Sites, but that's an easy add. Waze on a Tesla screen would be perfect.

I just want Waze. I don't care about the rest, to be honest. Proper navigation with cops and waypoint capability on the dash. That's it.
Waze is the best application of crowd sourced traffic and hazard data mixed with GPS navigation. They may not have the best info for Super Charger Sites, but that's an easy add. Waze on a Tesla screen would be perfect.
Does Tesla currently use traffic data from Google or Waze? Or is their live traffic data based on Tesla vehicles on the road?

Since Google owns Waze, they are integrating many of the features natively into Google Maps. I'm not sure if this is a geographic rollout, but that includes speed trap warnings that I assume are tagged by users across both Google and Waze. Found two for me the other day using Google Maps. The question is when will Google and Tesla work out an agreement that this will be part of Google's map version for Tesla. Wasn't it announced that waypoints are coming?

I suppose I had the concern about Carplay when considering vehicles. You certainly read about it over and over. But I then kept asking myself the question: what will I miss? I don't have my MYLR yet, but I kept coming back to nothing. But I use Spotify premium for all of the things others have called out.

I'd agree though, I'm not AGAINST it as a choice. I think Tesla often pushes the boundaries of what their customers will accept. In this case it allows them to define the UI experience, which is key for their strategy. The other thing it does is offer them two business strategies: 1) control, presumably, of anonymized user data that otherwise would be covered under Apple and Google privacy policies, and 2) an immediate revenue stream from premium connectivity and potentially from an app store down the line. Am I annoyed that I have to pay $10/month for connectivity? Yes. Am I going to buy a $60k car and not have real-time traffic so that i can save $120 a year? No.