Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just keep my cell phone on the charging pad with Waze running, set the audio to alerts only. That way I can enjoy the gorgeous big navigation screen on the Tesla and still get the utility from Waze with audible warnings for cops, accidents, and other hazards.
I do the same for the audio but it is not easy to contribute when the phone is on the charging pad, i.e. marking accidents, speed trap, etc. or saying tanks to contributors.

It is much easier in my BMW with CarPlay. Phone is either in my pocket for short trip or on the charging pad for long trip. The iPhone to CarPlay is automatic using the car built-in WiFi Access Point.

Makes sense and was just wondering - thanks.

I do like my carplay and have jailbroken my iphone to allow me to stream exactly what is on my phone to the screen in the car. Works great with Live TV, you tube etc.

hmm. wonder if I can stream live TV from the browser on the Tesla. Anyway - that's a different story/thread and thanks again. I'll sit back patiently waiting for my own Tesla so can get involved more in this community.
Big thing for me is I would like the ability to use waze. I find it to be superior to Tesla’s Nav. I often use my phone and waze now instead because it has shown me better shortcuts around traffic as well as police presence.

Since Google owns Waze, they are integrating many of the features natively into Google Maps. I'm not sure if this is a geographic rollout, but that includes speed trap warnings that I assume are tagged by users across both Google and Waze. Found two for me the other day using Google Maps. The question is when will Google and Tesla work out an agreement that this will be part of Google's map version for Tesla. Wasn't it announced that waypoints are coming?

I suppose I had the concern about Carplay when considering vehicles. You certainly read about it over and over. But I then kept asking myself the question: what will I miss? I don't have my MYLR yet, but I kept coming back to nothing. But I use Spotify premium for all of the things others have called out.

I'd agree though, I'm not AGAINST it as a choice. I think Tesla often pushes the boundaries of what their customers will accept. In this case it allows them to define the UI experience, which is key for their strategy. The other thing it does is offer them two business strategies: 1) control, presumably, of anonymized user data that otherwise would be covered under Apple and Google privacy policies, and 2) an immediate revenue stream from premium connectivity and potentially from an app store down the line. Am I annoyed that I have to pay $10/month for connectivity? Yes. Am I going to buy a $60k car and not have real-time traffic so that i can save $120 a year? No.
Huh. I've yet to receive one warning of "police reported ahead" on a highway anywhere. Hoping it's coming.

I do the same for the audio but it is not easy to contribute when the phone is on the charging pad, i.e. marking accidents, speed trap, etc. or saying tanks to contributors.

It is much easier in my BMW with CarPlay. Phone is either in my pocket for short trip or on the charging pad for long trip. The iPhone to CarPlay is automatic using the car built-in WiFi Access Point.
Keep in mind Waze responds to verbal Google Assistant commands. "Hey google, report police." "Hey google, report accident on opposite side of road." Easy.

Not sure about the thank yous.

Reactions: L_Mont
Have you turned traffic display on? Touch the map once and then, at the bottom right, at the same place as the earth icon (aerial photo) and charger locations icon you'll see an icon for traffic (stoplight icon I believe).
Whoopee! Thanks. I overlooked that. It seems linked to each driver profile. Traffic control now activated.

I guess it’s time to reread the manual. The release notes have minimal discussions.

Reactions: GtiMart
I used to post this too, but now that I am sitting in one, I've come to realize we don't need CarPlay as long as we use spotify. The only thing I miss is Waze, but simply don't need carPlay-- it feels dinosaur. The Tesla interface is clean, quick and easy to use already. CarPlay is restricted to the lower resolution audio (356kps.) A high format streamer would be appropriate for the new amazing sound systems in the S/X refresh and latest 3, though.
Same here. Don’t miss CarPlay at all since the MYP showed up. The “steaming” music source is so well curated; texting / messaging works great; Tesla maps are awesome and the guidance works so much better; and a lot more. Open your mind to a new experience and you’ll be happy.

In the not so distant future, Apple will be a competitor of Tesla. Tesla is wise to not let CarPlay be usable in their cars. Apple is also incentivized to not let CarPlay be usable in Teslas. That way when Apple comes out with their car, people who prefer Apples OS will buy Apple’s EV. A lot of Apple employees drive Teslas. They would love to get CarPlay in their car but it’s not a good business decision long term for either.

In the not so distant future, Apple will be a competitor of Tesla. Tesla is wise to not let CarPlay be usable in their cars. Apple is also incentivized to not let CarPlay be usable in Teslas. That way when Apple comes out with their car, people who prefer Apples OS will buy Apple’s EV. A lot of Apple employees drive Teslas. They would love to get CarPlay in their car but it’s not a good business decision long term for either.
In a way I agree with this, even though I am a proponent of CarPlay for the myriad of items that I cannot get from my MY. My largest issue is that the in-car voice assistant can do very little (ask it the temperature, ask it to switch inputs). I also listen to a lot of audio books and podcasts, neither of which get a fair shake in the MY software. In addition, making the MY simulate a phone call to use other voice assistants on phones (Siri/Google) is a bad integration that most carmakers have eschewed years ago. It isn't a call, why treat it as one?

If you can't handle the software competition, then do the smart thing. Make your own API/DevKit and allow the various software companies to develop applets within your framework. There is no reason that Tesla shouldn't allow isolated apps (none that integrate with the vehicle driving functionality for obvious reasons) from companies like Audible, Google, Apple, and others.

CarPlay/Android Play were the car industry's answer to not having to make those API/DevKits and manage them. They will all eventually compete with Apple and/or Google, but they allow them in now because it is cheaper than managing it themselves.

In a way I agree with this, even though I am a proponent of CarPlay for the myriad of items that I cannot get from my MY. My largest issue is that the in-car voice assistant can do very little (ask it the temperature, ask it to switch inputs). I also listen to a lot of audio books and podcasts, neither of which get a fair shake in the MY software. In addition, making the MY simulate a phone call to use other voice assistants on phones (Siri/Google) is a bad integration that most carmakers have eschewed years ago. It isn't a call, why treat it as one?

If you can't handle the software competition, then do the smart thing. Make your own API/DevKit and allow the various software companies to develop applets within your framework. There is no reason that Tesla shouldn't allow isolated apps (none that integrate with the vehicle driving functionality for obvious reasons) from companies like Audible, Google, Apple, and others.

CarPlay/Android Play were the car industry's answer to not having to make those API/DevKits and manage them. They will all eventually compete with Apple and/or Google, but they allow them in now because it is cheaper than managing it themselves.

Prediction: Apple launches their own car and COMPLETELY remakes the UI and stops caring about/supporting Carplay. I used Carplay again over a weeklong road trip right before I got my Model Y and remembered why I can't understand other people pining for it. It's ugly, it sucks. It has SOME limited functions that certain people care about.

I listen to podcasts on Spotify Premium. I honestly don't miss Apple Carplay to play them.

I do agree with you that voice commands on the Tesla are great, but it is a total failure at Voice Assistant, which is going to be a real must-have pretty soon. They're sort of skating by on that.

I guess my summary is that there is ZERO good UI in cars right now, and I think Tesla has actually done the best job. They need to keep investing in improvements there. The things you mentioned should be easier.

I got a CarPlay for my Model Y, perfect!
Hi @muxinn . Nice looking setup! What hardware did you use and mounting product/method? I just got a used Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet ($30) + USB wired carlinkit dongle ($45 or so) working last night. I already had the other cables and hubs/bridges to test it out. Still deciding if I want to add a parlay unit to my Tesla or just mount an iPad somewhere since the maps look even better... lol. I like Apple's maps features and visuals + text messaging for certain longer trips.

• Funny
Reactions: muxinn
Reactions: Driver08
Hi @muxinn . Nice looking setup! What hardware did you use and mounting product/method? I just got a used Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet ($30) + USB wired carlinkit dongle ($45 or so) working last night. I already had the other cables and hubs/bridges to test it out. Still deciding if I want to add a parlay unit to my Tesla or just mount an iPad somewhere since the maps look even better... lol. I like Apple's maps features and visuals + text messaging for certain longer trips.
Alright. I figured out that muxinn has the hansshow product (the hardware shown in his profile avatar image ) which I am not considering after reading people’s experiences . Nice looking setup but a bit too integrated in to the Tesla for my comfort. Might reconsider after the product has been around longer.

Reactions: muxinn
Alright. I figured out that muxinn has the hansshow product (the hardware shown in his profile avatar image ) which I am not considering after reading people’s experiences . Nice looking setup but a bit too integrated in to the Tesla for my comfort. Might reconsider after the product has been around longer.
Hi, @ElectricAnt54 sorry for the late reply, I don't visit the forum daily.

No, I don't have that one. I don't like the thick edge like that.

I bought 2 hardware devices like my avatar image from Taobao (one of the biggest online markets in China).
It connects the car using the OBD port. but It's not easy to un-plug the OBD connecter and plugin again cuz the car computer space is narrow. I did it. The other steps are very, very easy.

here is an unplug video for your reference

Attachments

• IMG_6991.JPG
    IMG_6991.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 58
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54