Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 for carplay or mounting my big phone/iPad mini in my model y. I’ve had my 2022 Model Y for 3 weeks. The podcast listening experience in Tesla’s apps is horrible. If you pause a podcast , switch to another podcast or audio source , play something and return to the original podcast, playback happens from the start of podcast again. On CarPlay and phone, playback would continue from where you paused.

I would like to chime in as a huge apple fan boy / iOS engineer. I originally thought the lack of car play would annoy then heck out of me, after only a few days i forgot about it.

- Tesla maps are as good as apple or google and include charging nothing missed here
- integration with phone contacts for mapping - it’s so easy to share location to Tesla app and have it instantly show up.
- voice - I find Tesla voice recognition better than apple, google , or Amazon. No contest it just works.
- music a little cumbersome but my phone is right there charging I just start whatever playlist or YouTube music etc, car is smart enough to get the iPhone to resume the correct thing.
- calendar is integrated and is slick , destination comes up right away when I get in the car.

Will see if I miss anything as I use more but so far I’m happy 🤷‍♂️

I would like to chime in as a huge apple fan boy / iOS engineer. I originally thought the lack of car play would annoy then heck out of me, after only a few days i forgot about it.

- Tesla maps are as good as apple or google and include charging nothing missed here
- integration with phone contacts for mapping - it’s so easy to share location to Tesla app and have it instantly show up.
- voice - I find Tesla voice recognition better than apple, google , or Amazon. No contest it just works.
- music a little cumbersome but my phone is right there charging I just start whatever playlist or YouTube music etc, car is smart enough to get the iPhone to resume the correct thing.
- calendar is integrated and is slick , destination comes up right away when I get in the car.

Will see if I miss anything as I use more but so far I’m happy 🤷‍♂️
“Nothing is missed” in the perfect Tesla navigation app? How about showing alternate routes and letting me pick from them?

I don’t need Car Play in anything other than rental cars, but do need support for more music subscription services like Apple Music and navigation software like Waze.

“Nothing is missed” in the perfect Tesla navigation app? How about showing alternate routes and letting me pick from them?

I don’t need Car Play in anything other than rental cars, but do need support for more music subscription services like Apple Music and navigation software like Waze.
Yes I really haven’t found myself missing anything here , guess I’m not the same demographic. I don’t like Waze.

I agree on the music it would be nice to have YouTube music and Apple Music native.

But non of these things are huge and since Tesla actually improves software over time it’s not like traditional cars which will be out of date the moment you drive it off the lot. This is the big difference and why I don’t care to not have apple car play or android auto.

Reactions: WhiteWi
My only complaint or observation is the Tesla nav displays a 3 years old photo of our subdivision and of course that means everything else, and while Apple Maps has our address the Tesla Nav does not.

We have lived in our new house over 3 years now. I wonder how FSD folks get along being guided along with outdated maps?

I’ve come to realize that Idon’t need CarPlay. What I need is for Tesla to create the same thing they have for Spotify for Apple Music and XM. Unless Tesla is ivensted with Spotify there is no reason not to enable this. My tonal let’s me link my Apple Music account. So does peloton. It’s literally a safety hazard at this point.
True but Tonal doesn’t let you use Spotify.

1) Text messaging is abysmal in the Tesla app - works like a dream in CarPlay
2) Apple Music: built in music - seriously no. "back" to last song???
3) Alternate Routes in Waze - objects on road, etc
4) pod casts
5) Driving Focus

Elon rails against a "walled garden" for charging - yet has created a larger one than Apple.

We don't need to debate if its better or not - or if YOU want it or not - the point is many of us feel the CarPlay system is than what Tesla delivers for entertainment and would like that option.

I can survive without it - but I am certainly missing it and on my long drives find especially the text messaging system to make me want to install a 3rd party CarPlay system ASAP

4) pod casts
5) Driving Focus

Elon rails against a "walled garden" for charging - yet has created a larger one than Apple.

We don't need to debate if its better or not - or if YOU want it or not - the point is many of us feel the CarPlay system is than what Tesla delivers for entertainment and would like that option.

I can survive without it - but I am certainly missing it and on my long drives find especially the text messaging system to make me want to install a 3rd party CarPlay system ASAP
Lol you can literally use Siri to text on your phone without CarPlay in the car.

4) pod casts
5) Driving Focus

I don’t get the text messaging comment , responding to text messages in my model 3 is enjoyable and easy.

I don’t get the text messaging comment , responding to text messages in my model 3 is enjoyable and easy.
Test messaging works fine on the Tesla but better on CarPlay IME. Among other things Tesla makes you look at the screen for emojis. The message list on the Tesla UI only shows messages that have been received since connecting to Bluetooth, vs all recent messages.

Apple Music is another big miss and the TuneIn app is so bad Tesla might as well not even have a podcast.

Finally, you get all of the various services using the mobile data you’re already paying for on your cell phone.

Apple Music is another big miss and the TuneIn app is so bad Tesla might as well not even have a podcast.
You are aware Apple Music uses TuneIn behind the scenes? And fwiw I find Apple Music terrible for radio listening .. it seems to require you reconnect to the radio stations almost daily, since otherwise it just sits there thinking for a few moments and then gives up. The car has no trouble at all with TuneIn working.

And while the organization of music/songs on the car isnt great, Apple Music is hardly a poster-child for logical layout and ease of use. In fact imho its an abysmal app, whose primary purpose seems to be to upsell you to the various tiers of Apples streaming services.

You are aware Apple Music uses TuneIn behind the scenes? And fwiw I find Apple Music terrible for radio listening .. it seems to require you reconnect to the radio stations almost daily, since otherwise it just sits there thinking for a few moments and then gives up. The car has no trouble at all with TuneIn working.

And while the organization of music/songs on the car isnt great, Apple Music is hardly a poster-child for logical layout and ease of use. In fact imho its an abysmal app, whose primary purpose seems to be to upsell you to the various tiers of Apples streaming services.
I never use Apple Music to listen to radio; I use the radio for that.

As far as tune in goes, all I care about is how much it sucks for listening to podcasts in the Tesla. The Apple Podcast app (or any other app written by a computer science freshman) is infinitely better.

The beauty of CarPlay is it also gives you any other app you want for podcasts, music, ebooks, maps or any other audio feature. Tesla’s interface gives you exactly zero options.

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler
I never use Apple Music to listen to radio; I use the radio for that.

As far as tune in goes, all I care about is how much it sucks for listening to podcasts in the Tesla. The Apple Podcast app (or any other app written by a computer science freshman) is infinitely better.

The beauty of CarPlay is it also gives you any other app you want for podcasts, music, ebooks, maps or any other audio feature. Tesla’s interface gives you exactly zero options.
Once again this is why we have competition if you find something not to your liking in Tesla to the point you complain about every little thing maybe Tesla is not for you. Easy fix right? Next purchase will be mega CarPlay car with knobs and buttons for defog, seat warmers and whatever else is upsetting dear fellow Tesla owners lately. Oh and no PBing 😂
I personally don’t like CarPlay or android auto and I like Tesla native UI.

I agree, but wish it would support messaging groups. As it is now, when I respond to a text received from a group text (of which I have several) it only responds back to the individual that sent the text, not the entire group. That is bothersome.

I agree, but wish it would support messaging groups. As it is now, when I respond to a text received from a group text (of which I have several) it only responds back to the individual that sent the text, not the entire group. That is bothersome.
Good point !

Re the other point : access to message history etc. seems unneeded if you really need to be looking through history you should be stopped anyway and not driving 😅 which means it would be quicker to pick up your phone anyway. Just saying 😆

We‘ve also come to appreciate and rely on WAZE’s hazard alerts, such as “Object In Road”, wildlife ahead, potholes, etc. I don’t see such warnings, or the ability to report such hazards, on the Tesla’s map.

That being the case, will likely use the Tesla navigation most of the time, but run WAZE on my phone on trips for alerts.

A week into Tesla ownership, I don’t miss CarPlay as much as I thought I would, but still miss it.

We‘ve also come to appreciate and rely on WAZE’s hazard alerts, such as “Object In Road”, wildlife ahead, potholes, etc. I don’t see such warnings, or the ability to report such hazards, on the Tesla’s map.

That being the case, will likely use the Tesla navigation most of the time, but run WAZE on my phone on trips for alerts.

A week into Tesla ownership, I don’t miss CarPlay as much as I thought I would, but still miss it.
Don’t forget Tesla is ever evolving company and maybe one day they will add Waze features to their native nav who knows.