Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why charity do you think Elon donated his shares?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
human fund.JPG

Probably the closest to reality. I don't for a second believe he did anything out of altruism.
Then you don't know Elon Musk very well. He has dedicated much of his life to humanitarian causes. I don't much care for his twitter posts or some of his politics but he has often shown sensitivity to human suffering, and often allocated resources to help reduce suffering.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Then you don't know Elon Musk very well. He has dedicated much of his life to humanitarian causes. I don't much care for his twitter posts or some of his politics but he has often shown sensitivity to human suffering, and often allocated resources to help reduce suffering.
Any examples of this other than him posturing on twitter or trying to get a tax break?

Elon Musk’s Latest Innovation: Troll Philanthropy

• Disagree
Reactions: Brovane

Any examples of this other than him posturing on twitter or trying to get a tax break?

Have you even tried to look? Cuz you don't have to look very far. Here's a partial list.
  • Donated massive solar/ battery energy system to Puerto Rico after hurricane Maria wiped out a huge portion of the Island's grid in 2017.
  • When Covid first arrived, Musk re-directed a lot of engineering and dev resources to solving a potential ventilator shortage. He later delivered thousands of medical devices to hospitals in need.
  • When 12 boys and their soccer coach got stuck in a flooded cave in Thailand, Elon allocated engineers from Tesla, SpaceX and Boring Co to create a submarine to rescue them.
  • Musk offered to help Flint, Michigan repair and replace the lead contaminated water supply, donating computers and water filters for Flint schools.
  • Donated solar and battery materials to help restore power in Japan after the tsunami, in addition to other tsunami-related donations.
  • Musk's latest $5.7 B donation to (presumably) reduce world hunger.
  • Donation of broadband infrastructure supplies and Starlink satellite bandwidth to Ukraine.
This is in addition to the 4 companies he helped start, each of which has a humanitarian mission. Climate change (Tesla); Preventing a mass-extinction event (SpaceX); City air pollution and congestion (Boring Co); Slowing neurodegenerative disease (Neuralink).

You may not like Elon Musk, and I'm the first to criticize his politics and cringe-worthy twitter posts, but you cannot deny his overwhelming concern for human suffering. Some of these efforts may not have produced the intended results, and many are still developing. The point though is that Musk has devoted tremendous resources to solving humanity's problems, like him or not.

• Disagree
Have you even tried to look? Cuz you don't have to look very far. Here's a partial list.
  • Donated massive solar/ battery energy system to Puerto Rico after hurricane Maria wiped out a huge portion of the Island's grid in 2017.
  • When Covid first arrived, Musk re-directed a lot of engineering and dev resources to solving a potential ventilator shortage. He later delivered thousands of medical devices to hospitals in need.
  • When 12 boys and their soccer coach got stuck in a flooded cave in Thailand, Elon allocated engineers from Tesla, SpaceX and Boring Co to create a submarine to rescue them.
  • Musk offered to help Flint, Michigan repair and replace the lead contaminated water supply, donating computers and water filters for Flint schools.
  • Donated solar and battery materials to help restore power in Japan after the tsunami, in addition to other tsunami-related donations.
  • Musk's latest $5.7 B donation to (presumably) reduce world hunger.
  • Donation of broadband infrastructure supplies and Starlink satellite bandwidth to Ukraine.
This is in addition to the 4 companies he helped start, each of which has a humanitarian mission. Climate change (Tesla); Preventing a mass-extinction event (SpaceX); City air pollution and congestion (Boring Co); Slowing neurodegenerative disease (Neuralink).

You may not like Elon Musk, and I'm the first to criticize his politics and cringe-worthy twitter posts, but you cannot deny his overwhelming concern for human suffering. Some of these efforts may not have produced the intended results, and many are still developing. The point though is that Musk has devoted tremendous resources to solving humanity's problems, like him or not.
Funny how all those things coincide with world media coverage.

Also, none of those are charities.

• Disagree
So Musk buying ventilators and then donating them to Medical Facilities that need them is not a worthy cause?
A worthy cause can also be a publicity stunt.

I’m just saying all his philanthropic endeavors strangely seem to coincide with what’s going on in the news at any given point. That’s not real philanthropy. It’s opportunism.

• Disagree
A worthy cause can also be a publicity stunt.

I’m just saying all his philanthropic endeavors strangely seem to coincide with what’s going on in the news at any given point. That’s not real philanthropy. It’s opportunism.

You claim opportunism in Musk's philanthropic endeavors but we really only hear about the ones that make the news. So yeah his philanthropic endeavors always seem to coincide with the news cycle because that is what makes the news. Do you see how this claim of yours can be a self-fulfilling prophecy? If you are not looking for any other giving by Musk beyond the news headlines then of course all of his endeavors will be opportunism in your opinion because they coincide with the news cycle.

• Disagree
Funny how all those things coincide with world media coverage.

Also, none of those are charities.
So he's not allowed to help with anything that might be in the news, because if he does it would be "opportunism?"

Regarding charities, so you think no effort is legitimate unless it goes through a charity? Regardless, your statement that none of those are charities is also patently false.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and Brovane
You claim opportunism in Musk's philanthropic endeavors but we really only hear about the ones that make the news. So yeah his philanthropic endeavors always seem to coincide with the news cycle because that is what makes the news. Do you see how this claim of yours can be a self-fulfilling prophecy? If you are not looking for any other giving by Musk beyond the news headlines then of course all of his endeavors will be opportunism in your opinion because they coincide with the news cycle.
No. Because he isn’t making donations which generate a headline, unsolicited.

He sees a headline, globs n to it, and then does something for publicity to stay in the news cycle.

People who defend Elon as a human being always amaze me.

No. Because he isn’t making donations which generate a headline, unsolicited.

He sees a headline, globs n to it, and then does something for publicity to stay in the news cycle.

People who defend Elon as a human being always amaze me.

The reason I defend Elon as a human being is because I relate to the struggles that he goes through everyday as somebody who is on the spectrum and having to interact with a world full of neurotypical judgmental people.

• Disagree