Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose 8.5" wheel over a 9.5"? (Aftermarket)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not come across a definitive answer as to the pros and cons of getting an 8.5" wheel over a 9.5"?

I'm looking at Replika r241 19"x8. 5"... although the stock wheel is 9.5, I see many people choosing 8.5....

Does the 8.5 with +40 offset stick out a little further? Does it look better? What about performance-wise?

Reactions: Daekwan
Thanks for the information. Is the effect on aerodynamics quite significant?
I would doubt that it would be significant or even noticeable, but this is the company that does everything they can to be a little bit more efficient. The shape of the sidewall is flatter with the 9.5” wheel (which is also why it doesn’t provide any protection), but that’s also why it’s more aerodynamic.
Either way, by going away from the factory 19” wheels, efficiency will take a hit.

Reactions: Singhman
Waiting in Japan for a Model Y Performance, and considering aftermarket 19X8.5J with TOYO 255/45R19 tires. My goals are less chance of shameful curb-rash and a little more comfort. I test drove the RWD Standard and Performance, loving the comfort of the former, and the zip of the latter!

Any thoughts about either RAYS Gram Lights or ENKEI Performance Line?

Cheers, cj

Opted for 18s with 245/50 tires from TSportLine. 15 pounds per wheel lighter than the 21" UT, the car is faster and has recovered almost all of the 27-mile delta between the P and LR Y. I was going to sell the 21s but have decided to keep them for trade-in time.
5Ei6neU.png

And the car rides and feels better on city streets. Plus I get all the other benefits associated with a smaller squared setup. Unless you track your Y the 21s in shitty public roads makes no sense.
howQI9U.jpg

Opted for 18s with 245/50 tires from TSportLine. 15 pounds per wheel lighter than the 21" UT, the car is faster and has recovered almost all of the 27-mile delta between the P and LR Y. I was going to sell the 21s but have decided to keep them for trade-in time.
5Ei6neU.png

And the car rides and feels better on city streets. Plus I get all the other benefits associated with a smaller squared setup. Unless you track your Y the 21s in shitty public roads makes no sense.
howQI9U.jpg
Some very nice info in this post @TomServo. I just ordered a red Model Y Performance, but Japan has delivery dates quite a bit later than the US. Being right-hand drive, ours come from Shanghai Giga (I know I'm deluding myself, but just can't say "made in C****"). I will also go for more comfort, but probably 19X8.5J and 255/45. I imagine your speedometer is off a bit? Did you tweak the suspension? I talked with a service fellow the other day, and he mentioned that squaring the wheelset may lower the rear a few millimeters. Like the grey wheels, but my wife is "suggesting" something a bit brighter ... but NOT chrome! Cheers from an AF brat. cj

So for a MYP is the consensus that the 8.5 wheels are better than the 9.5? My goals are comfort and better efficiency. Thanks y’all
:p I wish!

The problem is that Tesla feels that the Model Y optimal width is 9.5 inches (10.5 MYP rear), and does not really embrace the aftermarket. And I’m sure a good portion of Performance buyers would, if anything, like even wider wheels and tires (like me, a few decades ago, lol). But yeah, folks drawn to this thread looking for comfort and daily practicality seem to like 8.5. In my case I need more range, but Japan only sells Standard RWD and Long Range Performance AWD, so I’m out to “tame the beast” a bit.

Cheers! cj