Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Maserati Granturismo a while ago - now that is stunning and makes the MY look like......well you decide.

1707853918127.jpeg

1707853967720.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: fholbert
Aesthetically the Performance trim makes a huge different for the Y. Otherwise it looks quite eggy. For the 3's shape all trims look good.
We're switching to the Y after years of the 3 because these factors:
-height is better for toddlers and child seats
-take lots of road trips and absolutely max out the 3's trunk height
-transport large furniture and cargo a fair amount (think a large tv)
-more rear legroom for grandparents and other adults

I was looking to buy a 2nd M3 - love it so much........but and it's a massive BUT......
In the UK, Tesla have told me that categorically you cannot fit an after market tow bar????
[Only order one to be fitted pre-production].
I am a keen biker which means I couldn't fit my bike rack to the car in future.

So I started looking for the next best thing: ideally a smallish SUV, much the same display presentation (ie - all on one screen) and as fast as the M3 AWD long range.

Found it - hiding amongst the very dull and uninspirational fleet otherwise offered by ...........believe it or not - Volvo o_O
Here it is:

The EX30 twin motor performance:
1707912728087.jpeg

I was looking to buy a 2nd M3 - love it so much........but and it's a massive BUT......
In the UK, Tesla have told me that categorically you cannot fit an after market tow bar????
That doesn't sound right. If towing is legally allowed for the defined (defined in the certificate of conformance / technical papers), and the tow bar is within spec, I dont see why it cannot be fit. They should not be able to define warranty terms against that.

But why not use the OEM one anyway?

Tow bar - I spoke to the local SC and they said two things (a) Post production fit mustn't be installed by an after market company because it means them splicing into the existing electrics which will make the warranty null and void.
(b) tow bar anchor is too clase to battery tray and a rear end 'shunt' may cause the car to be written off??

Spoke to Tesla UK: You cannot splice into existing electrics. (b) fitting a tow bar post production may invalidate the cars' warranty.

They do quote fitting a tow bar in the manual - however this quote requires the purchaser to specify this fit before production.

And of course - the usual mandate: hitch vertical load <55kg. Which is 2 x bike rack loading.

Tow bar - I spoke to the local SC and they said two things (a) Post production fit mustn't be installed by an after market company because it means them splicing into the existing electrics which will make the warranty null and void.
(b) tow bar anchor is too clase to battery tray and a rear end 'shunt' may cause the car to be written off??

Spoke to Tesla UK: You cannot splice into existing electrics. (b) fitting a tow bar post production may invalidate the cars' warranty.

They do quote fitting a tow bar in the manual - however this quote requires the purchaser to specify this fit before production.

And of course - the usual mandate: hitch vertical load <55kg. Which is 2 x bike rack loading.
Yeah, splicing into the rear tail light assembly is so dangerous, it can completely destroy the batteries. :rolleyes:

They seem to be having such clauses so they can get out of any warranty work. lol

So I started looking for the next best thing: ideally a smallish SUV, much the same display presentation (ie - all on one screen) and as fast as the M3 AWD long range.

Found it - hiding amongst the very dull and uninspirational fleet otherwise offered by ...........believe it or not - Volvo o_O
Here it is:

The EX30 twin motor performance:
View attachment 1018167
There's a whole thread on this. The issue seems to be there is a certification missing on the sticker if you don't order it from factory. In the UK apparently you may get a ticket if you don't have that sticker. Basically if you don't order from factory, the car's sticker says it has zero towing capacity, so it's illegal to tow with it. This is different with the Model Y.