Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3P was same price as MYLR at the time. Early MYs had some serious build issues. Leaking roofs, roofs flying off, loose suspension bolts. Tesla did a good job with the NDAs. M3 does fine with 2 young kids. I’ve done several road trips no problem. Oh and I guess Track Mode. Which is there mostly for flexing.

Last edited:
If when i bought my model 3, model y was available i would likely picked model y for extra cargo space. unlike many here, i did not care for sportiness of model 3, just wanted affordable Tesla. model 3 is fine for majority of smaller trips where cargo space is needed, but not for bigger like beach days, camping, etc.

Reactions: tm1v2
Oh and I guess Track Mode. Which is there mostly for flexing.
@UncertainTimes Track Mode was a huge selling point of the M3P for me, it's why I bought the M3P over the M3LR. I actually do use Track Mode regularly, no not daily, but on a regular basis when tearing up rural back roads, or the occasional late night jaunt around empty ramps. If there was no Track Mode or other means of dialing back the intrusive nannies on the 3 I might not have bought it at all, we might have stuck with the Polestar 2 Performance order we placed before we got to test drive the 3.

I would like Track Mode in an MYP too, but I'd consider it less essential in that car (snow driving aside). Can the MYP get around turns quickly (or any Model Y if fitted with good performance tires)? Yes absolutely. But does the Y call to me for such driving? Would I do extra drives or go out of my way just to shred up a back road in the Y? I don't think so, I didn't feel that way after test driving it. Of course that goes for every crossover I've ever driven, from Tesla to BMW to Porsche...I'm not trying to pick on the Y in that regard!

(Exception: The Mach-E GT Performance Edition with Magneride suspension was legit enjoyable in the twisties, but that car really felt more like a tall wagon than a typical crossover. I prefer either Polestar 2 Performance or Model 3 Performance though, among like-priced sporty EVs.)

I also want to mention that I actually quite like most aspects of the Y. It's a very good crossover. Great packaging, great seating positions front and rear, excellent forward and side visibility for a modern car, it's fast, and all the Tesla EV goodness. The one I tested had awful ride quality and really bad wind noise on the highway (by modern car standards) but from what I've read lately, the suspension has since been improved, and most leave the factory with less wind noise than the bad example I drove.

@UncertainTimes Track Mode was a huge selling point of the M3P for me, it's why I bought the M3P over the M3LR. I actually do use Track Mode regularly, no not daily, but on a regular basis when tearing up rural back roads, or the occasional late night jaunt around empty ramps. If there was no Track Mode or other means of dialing back the intrusive nannies on the 3 I might not have bought it at all, we might have stuck with the Polestar 2 Performance order we placed before we got to test drive the 3.

I would like Track Mode in an MYP too, but I'd consider it less essential in that car (snow driving aside). Can the MYP get around turns quickly (or any Model Y if fitted with good performance tires)? Yes absolutely. But does the Y call to me for such driving? Would I do extra drives or go out of my way just to shred up a back road in the Y? I don't think so, I didn't feel that way after test driving it. Of course that goes for every crossover I've ever driven, from Tesla to BMW to Porsche...I'm not trying to pick on the Y in that regard!

(Exception: The Mach-E GT Performance Edition with Magneride suspension was legit enjoyable in the twisties, but that car really felt more like a tall wagon than a typical crossover. I prefer either Polestar 2 Performance or Model 3 Performance though, among like-priced sporty EVs.)

I also want to mention that I actually quite like most aspects of the Y. It's a very good crossover. Great packaging, great seating positions front and rear, excellent forward and side visibility for a modern car, it's fast, and all the Tesla EV goodness. The one I tested had awful ride quality and really bad wind noise on the highway (by modern car standards) but from what I've read lately, the suspension has since been improved, and most leave the factory with less wind noise than the bad example I drove.
The 2022 model my dad briefly owned (he’s since sold it for a profit and took delivery of an X) still had very choppy suspension. Wind noise seemed comparable to my 3.

There's really no dispute that a small, low sedan will feel lighter on its feet and be more fun to drive than a higher SUV. What makes the Y so compelling for so many is that it's almost as fast, handles well enough, and could be an ultra utilitarian do-everything kind of vehicle.

However, if one absolutely will not need rear seat or cargo space (or has another car for utility, and the 3 just for commuting), then the benefits of the Y would not hold as much weight.

I’m not going to lie. My M3P is too small for everything I ask it to do from a “family man” standpoint. Still, every time I looked at the MYP I kept feeling like I’d regret getting the “family version” of the M3P I actually wanted.

Zero regrets.

083AEDE7-E4BA-443F-930D-3F4CAE01766D.jpeg

Well, there is also the extra 5+ inches of seat height above the ground for the Y. I love my 3 but my wife complains about the height (we're in our 70's) and my Mother (90's) simply cannot get out of it without great difficulty. That sticks me driving her garbage Buick Encore when I take her to the Dr. I'm likely to order a Y here pretty soon as a result and expect to enjoy driving it less, sadly.

Reactions: house9 and tm1v2
Well, there is also the extra 5+ inches of seat height above the ground for the Y. I love my 3 but my wife complains about the height (we're in our 70's) and my Mother (90's) simply cannot get out of it without great difficulty. That sticks me driving her garbage Buick Encore when I take her to the Dr. I'm likely to order a Y here pretty soon as a result and expect to enjoy driving it less, sadly.
@airpor41 I hope this thread doesn't sour you on your future Y!

Think of it this way...somewhere there's a group of sports car drivers celebrating that they don't need the practicality of our big, tall, boring sedans. ;) It's all relative, and the Y is surely in a different world of fun than that Buick Encore!

Reactions: rpiotro
When I got the Model 3, the only SUV option was Model X but it was over budget and probably too big. But Model Y came out later and I thought it would have been nice to have more trunk space because I go snowboard sometimes. And also I play at the arcade and win more tickets than the average customer, so sometimes I may not have enough trunk space for all the plush and toys I may clean out. My arcade friends we do day trips or vacations just to hit up arcades and win everything we can, and we need space for all the plush and monopolies. And they usually ask me to drive because the Model 3 is more economical to drive when driving to arcades 1-2 hours away, and in exchange my friend will offer to win me tickets on my card so I can win double tickets in the same time frame.

I did get to test drive a Model Y once at the Tesla store. While it's bigger and about same price as a Model 3, I felt the Model 3 (which I own) is a better driving car if space is not an issue. It was kind of high, which I didn't like, I like the Model 3 height to be low to the ground. Is getting a Model Y make sense just to have more space, will you forgo anything not going with Model 3? Will a Model 3 be a more fun car to drive?

Model 3 is faster. Make the model Y faster and I'll gladly jump ship.

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
I did get to test drive a Model Y once at the Tesla store. While it's bigger and about same price as a Model 3, I felt the Model 3 (which I own) is a better driving car if space is not an issue. It was kind of high, which I didn't like, I like the Model 3 height to be low to the ground. Is getting a Model Y make sense just to have more space, will you forgo anything not going with Model 3? Will a Model 3 be a more fun car to drive?
Actually personally, I think the cargo space of the 3 is good enough, the major difference is the Model Y having the hatch allows larger cargo to fit into the existing space. If the 3 had a hatch, even with existing dimensions, a lot more bulky items can fit in it (especially ones that are boxy). However, for long items that can fit into the openings, the Model 3 can fit quite a bit with seats down.

if you frequently have passengers in the rear or transport a lot of goods.
Or if you an outdoors, sports loving couple. At least that is what I hear from advertising.

The less grand, but much more common reason is a big dog in the back. The next leading explanation is a bad back or obesity, making it uncomfortable/difficult to enter/exit a low to the ground car.

Reactions: Jeremy3292