Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem is that if you're a M3P or MYP fan, the base Model S just isn't going to cut it. Only the Model S Plaid is compelling, and that's a huge jump in price!

the MSLR is faster by over 1/2 second on the 1/4 mile than the M3P, so it's significantly faster. Big enough difference to get me to give up $40k extra, nope. But for some people.

@airpor41 I hope this thread doesn't sour you on your future Y!

Think of it this way...somewhere there's a group of sports car drivers celebrating that they don't need the practicality of our big, tall, boring sedans. ;) It's all relative, and the Y is surely in a different world of fun than that Buick Encore!
I expect to be OK with the Y. I have also been waiting for the supposed +16% range from 4680 cells. 330 x 1.16 = 383 would be excellent. It's beginning to look like they won't go that way any time soon, however.

Or if you an outdoors, sports loving couple. At least that is what I hear from advertising.

The less grand, but much more common reason is a big dog in the back. The next leading explanation is a bad back or obesity, making it uncomfortable/difficult to enter/exit a low to the ground car.

the problem with this american dream is that people buy these "sports utility vehicles" but dont really use the capacity. Even if you think back to the 90s the model 3 trunk (and seat folddown capability) is huge and not too different from a 90s wagon with seats up.

I think the only time the big wagon/suv opening makes any difference when you transport boxy goods i.e. a new washing machine. but tbh society has evolved to a point where we just pay the 30 bucks to get it delivered and set up anyway. so whats the point?

Yeah great, dog in the back, 2 passengers in the rear, front in use etc. Fringe scenarios which dont actually affect that many people. And you of course you always get the odd person with a huge truck which is completely muddy with extraprofiled tires - these people genuinly go offroad frequently and they are of course also allowed to go shopping in their vehicle. And those people also exist in i.e. Germany but are of course a minority.

My gf also keeps talking about this mercedes SUV she wants and prado. She currently has a crappy hyundai suv - the suv capabilities she has.... never used in the last 5 years. she doesnt want to drive a small sporty hatchback/sedan (bmw 2 series, golf etc) because "bigger car is better and more safe and she needs space to transport her nonexistant goods".

JetFalcon (OP):
“While [the Model Y is] bigger and about same price as a Model 3, I felt the Model 3 […]is a better driving car if space is not an issue.”
—————

That’s my answer, in a nutshell. In fact my other car is a tiny two seater convertible. There are trade offs to everything. I would have loved a hatch. However, the performance and handling aspect of my (Performance) 3 is more paramount than the utility of the Y. The Y wasn’t available when I ordered and received my car. But no matter; my next one will be a 3.

While I love our 3, I wonder if the next “other” car in the garage won’t be a Y. Do I regularly need the space, no? Would the 3 undoubtably be a sportier drive? Yes. However, when we do load up for a trip, or get a new boxy something, would the space be nice, yes? As importantly would the ability to on occasion tow a trailer be nice? Yes. On my commute, is the added height nice…although I haven’t had that in many years now…yes.

While the other car replacement will be a while away…who knows. And if I only had one sitting there, it would be the 3, but I’m not sure I would have two of the same sitting in the garage, without other considerations.

Reactions: tm1v2
Now if you each basically have your own car, then I could see ending up with two Model 3's. :)
🤣 I have been the one that typically has driven the “practical” 4 door (until the Tesla) while she got the coupes and manuals. Occasionally I’d get to drive the “fun” ones. But I can’t complain - still got to play with the fun stuff, and even have some fun toys of my own.

I don’t own the 3 yet, but recently rented a 3LR from Hertz for a week. It was a free upgrade so jumped on it. We loved the car and it was great to travel with. Yesterday I test drove the LR and P Y’s. I was looking at a Y for the added utility but also to hitch mount a large bike rack. I didn’t like the Y’s. Maybe because of the worse ride and handling, but also because the Y felt half-baked. I think the 3 feels like a more mature better developed car, which makes sense since it’s been out longer.

So I am ordering an MP3 despite the limited utility, and we’ll revisit the Y later when the car has been improved.

Reactions: Bouba and tm1v2
I wish there was a Model 3 wagon.

Love my 3 but it would be easier to deal with bikes having a hatch back.

Making a Model 3 Hatchback or Wagon would be so great.

See below, the Polestar 2 is smaller than the Model 3, but still was able to accomodate a hatchback:

Overall LengthWheelbaseWidthHeight
Tesla Model 3184.8 inches113.2 inches72.8 inches56.8 inches
Polestar 2181.3 inches107.7 inches73.2 inches65.5 inches

tesla-model-3-vs-polestar-2_100693302_h.jpg

Making a Model 3 Hatchback or Wagon would be so great.

See below, the Polestar 2 is smaller than the Model 3, but still was able to accomodate a hatchback:

Overall LengthWheelbaseWidthHeight
Tesla Model 3184.8 inches113.2 inches72.8 inches56.8 inches
Polestar 2181.3 inches107.7 inches73.2 inches65.5 inches

View attachment 832498
It's not actually smaller, it's much taller, in fact even taller than Model Y (at 63.9"). That's going to bring all the negatives of a Model Y that people brought up.

A Model 3 wagon instead would keep pretty much the same height, just extend the cargo area back.

I'll be honest. Before I got my model 3 I was looking at the model 3 and then I looked at the model Y and I kept going back and forth a lot. I was leaning a lot towards the model Y cuz I liked having more cargo space. But then I thought about it did I really need the cargo space enough to justify the extra cost. What ultimately led me to the model 3 was the lower cost and the shorter wait time and the fact that I couldn't justify that I'd use the extra cargo space that much. As it is I don't even use all the cargo space I have in the model 3.