Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own both and can sum them up as follows:

* The ride is better on the Model 3 (with 18" tires, not 20" tires), the Model Y's suspension is a little bit "bumpy"...
* Yes, the 3 has less storage space. If you need that, get the Y, but the 3 does pretty well with the seats folded down.
* To me the 3 feels more connected to the road and is more fun to drive. More solid feel. Of course, it is a bit lower to the ground.
* The 3 gets a little bit better efficiency, if that matters.
* Small thing, but the blunt front end of the Y is larger and is more of a bug catcher.

That's it from my perspective...

It drives like it's top heavy and handles poorly compared to the Model 3. It's too high a center of gravity and too much mass for the platform it rides on, which was clearly designed for a sedan and just sort of had a crossover body kludged onto it. At least, that's how I feel about the Model Y. Plus, the view out the rear view mirror of the Y absolutely sucks.

Reactions: miatadan and voxel
It drives like it's top heavy and handles poorly compared to the Model 3. It's too high a center of gravity and too much mass for the platform it rides on, which was clearly designed for a sedan and just sort of had a crossover body kludged onto it. At least, that's how I feel about the Model Y. Plus, the view out the rear view mirror of the Y absolutely sucks.
I see where you are coming from.
About 99% SUV/CUV platform is based on their sedan chassis/platform on the market, and as you mentioned law of physic applies for the taller vehicles. Definitely MY/MYP has smaller rear view areas from the cabin, but you really don't use it much unless you check it if you are getting pulled over by cops or not. You use the back up camera when backing up.

Definitely MY/MYP has smaller rear view areas from the cabin, but you really don't use it much unless you check it if you are getting pulled over by cops or not. You use the back up camera when backing up.
More restricted view to the rear and rear side makes it more difficult to get rid of blind spots in mirror adjustment. The Model 3 is not great in this respect, so the Model Y is rather poor in this respect if it is worse than the Model 3. However, it is presumably still better than a cargo van with no rear windows.

More restricted view to the rear and rear side makes it more difficult to get rid of blind spots in mirror adjustment. The Model 3 is not great in this respect, so the Model Y is rather poor in this respect if it is worse than the Model 3. However, it is presumably still better than a cargo van with no rear windows.
Not sure what blind spots you are talking about. Proper side mirror adjustment gets rid of all blind spots, and Tesla cars have the big screen that shows you all the cars around you and you have the side view camera screen pops up on top of that.

The rear view of the 3 is good. The tiny rear view of the Y is useless. And there no rear wiper so in rainy Florida I can’t see sugar. Whereas the visibility in the 3 in wet conditions was fine because of the larger rear view.

Everything is better in the 3 except the lower seating position and cargo room. The suspension I waffled on - whether the 3 or Y was better… but in the end the higher seating position combined with firm suspension causes the Y driver to “feel” more of the bumps.

I noticed that in Europe, Peugeot has announced a future 308 Sedan and Station Wagon EVs, the size of the Tesla Model 3.
I think this will be the first EV Station Wagon available, since Audi and Volvo only make SUVs.

I wish Tesla would decide making a Model 3 hatchback or station wagon, smaller than the Model Y for the US market.
I believe that Tesla is going to deliver a smaller vehicle Model Four (?) which will certainly build in China and imported to Europe.

Since he new Inflation Reduction Act can be applied only to vehicles build locally in the US or Canada,
so I doubt that the Model Four (?), build in China where the labor is cheaper, will be available in the US.

Peugeot 308 EV - Tesla Model 3 .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: house9
the polestar 2 is definetly a smaller car. yes its taller/an suv but its more akin european lenght/width. The Model 3 dwarfs it - its not just that the 3 is a bit bigger, the polestar 2 is also just a retrofitted ICE Volvo so has less interior space than it would have as a proper EV.

If you compare them side to side its just a smaller car. SUV, yes, but smaller.
I'm still waiting for my M3LR ( only been a few weeks) but very nearly ordered the P2 before even test driving the M3. I think it looks good, any the suspension and performance was great, but the interior just was meh. Had to pay for an upgrade to just get wireless phone charging. It was snug too. I'm 192cm, and it was tight. Also, only one usable cup holder. The second was under the arm rest. Wtf is up with that. I'm a long time android fan, so the Android interface was sweet.

I was 100% sold on the P2, and only drove the M3 to satisfy the wife. After the test drive, Walker straight back into the sales office and orderer one. Comes first quarter next year ( I hope)....

On topic.... Didn't like the look of the MY, and in Australia, only had choice of standard or performance. And didn't want to shell out for the performance. Just going to upgrade to a LR+ soon as I get it.