Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, M3s have been out 4-5 years now, is the build quality much better than MYs?
@nate704 From what I gather on these forums, Y build quality and consistency has caught up. Which doesn't mean it's perfect, Tesla still has consistency problems across all models, but the Y is as good now as any of them and you are likely to get a good one (modulo unexpected part removals 😅).

@UncertainTimes is certainly right though that in 2020 when the Y first came out, and the 3 had been out for a couple years of steady manufacturing improvements, the average 3 was easily better than the average Y. Lots of anecdotes on these forums, YouTube, etc to support that.

Same thing for 3 vs S when the 3 was new. And as an owner of a Jan 2013 S, feel free to ask me about build quality of those early beta cars, and how many things got replaced and updated under warranty over the years... 😁 (Much love for that car!)

Reactions: DerbyCityY
We make it work!
DB74982B-C167-4DEB-B937-977DB7EFEC66.jpeg
F81A7BE8-7B56-449A-BEFF-34D962AC8937.jpeg
8427D509-DD5F-43CF-A6E5-1CFCC6712051.jpeg

But also…
4D5D61B8-0D9C-4443-8AFD-8E9559383C31.jpeg
39A3C509-B0A4-4191-BD67-A071CF2F9FA9.png

Attachments

• 8B1E3C9D-C0B0-438A-AC83-D8AAB6DF873C.jpeg
    8B1E3C9D-C0B0-438A-AC83-D8AAB6DF873C.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: tm1v2
I never understood the "I want an SUV because its higher and safer" logic, since a higher and therefore less stable, more likely to rollover vehicle is the opposite of safer. And no one ever goes off road with their "SUV". They just get a less safe, less efficient, lower range, more expensive vehicle because American society/advertising has convinced people that SUV=better somehow.

A potential benefit of the Y is the better towing capacity. Not sure if the ~120lb tongue weight on the M3 hitch is enough for much other than bikes or a luggage rack.

Last edited:
The only thing I would prefer a Model Y for would be for hauling around bulky things, like small to medium sized furniture. Just can’t get that into a Model 3. But I can rent a van or borrow our daughter’s hatchback for the odd occasion I need to do that.

I never understood the "I want an SUV because its higher and safer" logic, since a higher and therefore less stable, more likely to rollover vehicle is the opposite of safer. And no one ever goes off road with their "SUV". They just get a less safe, less efficient, lower range, more expensive vehicle because American society/advertising has convinced people that SUV=better somehow.

A potential benefit of the Y is the better towing capacity. Not sure if the ~120lb tongue weight on the M3 hitch is enough for much other than bikes or a luggage rack.
A lot of people like the higher up seating position and the road visibility it provides. It also makes getting in and out of the car more easy, especially as you age. The higher bumper height also makes it more likely to be compatible with the crash structures of other SUVs given they have gotten more and more popular.

EVs already reduce the rollover risk drastically, as does modern ESC.

A lot of people like the higher up seating position and the road visibility it provides. It also makes getting in and out of the car more easy, especially as you age. The higher bumper height also makes it more likely to be compatible with the crash structures of other SUVs given they have gotten more and more popular.

EVs already reduce the rollover risk drastically, as does modern ESC.
Ugg I hope to never be too feeble to get in or out of a car!

Too many enormous vehicles that sit way too high...yes.

Better visibility....I don't see that point. I hear the argument, just don't see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msjulie and pikeman
Threads like this are lame as it polarizes ppl who should just be getting the car they want. They're the same platform one for sedan and one for suv. Pick the one you need or want, no need to put one down over the over.

Its a simple decision...either you want a sportier experience or a more practical one. The more important decision is white or black interior...such a hard choice...

i guess the cargo argument is there. However europe has had Wagons for years which offer even more space than SUVs with similar handling to a sedan but they are on the decline for some reason. I find once I drive above 150-160kmh the wagon really handles poorer than sedan but until then it is very similar.
A Model 3 wagon or liftback would be completely killing it imho.

Now in 2023 there is a new reason some will prefer Y over 3...our lawmakers like SUV's more, and gave them a higher purchase price limit in the Inflation Reduction Act. :( It's really backwards to give a larger incentive towards bigger, less efficient vehicles.

(Clearly this was done for the "big 3" Detroit area automakers who love selling overpriced SUVs these days.)

Reactions: BigNick and chinney
Now in 2023 there is a new reason some will prefer Y over 3...our lawmakers like SUV's more, and gave them a higher purchase price limit in the Inflation Reduction Act. :( It's really backwards to give a larger incentive towards bigger, less efficient vehicles.

(Clearly this was done for the "big 3" Detroit area automakers who love selling overpriced SUVs these days.)

the usa just need to pull the finger out of their asses and stop classifying SUVs and light trucks as trucks but as normal passenger vehicles....
but i feel the damage is already done. people will quite happily pay higher car lones if it means driving a huge car.
clearly we arent poor enough yet.

Someone literally sat in the Model 3 the other day and was like "I wouldnt wanna do a road trip in this car". And then you sit in a 5 series from the late 2000s and its literally the same size...

10 years from now people will refuse to sit in the back of anything smaller than a hummer.

The space on model 3 is more then enough for me. I've had smaller cars in the past and that is a no issue. In fact if there was a cheaper compelling hatchback from Tesla that is AWD and long range I would probably choose it.

I don't like the look of the Model Y as much as I like the model 3, a bit out of proportion too tall with little ground clearance.

That being said I fully understand people who want more space and I think is a very valid argument. But is not what everyone need or want.