TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why Consumer Reports Bought a Tesla Model S P85D

Discussion in 'Video' started by Insane, Apr 10, 2015.

1. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Awesome. They got the all season tires though but looks like he was still having fun.

2. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

Might be the first time I've ever heard a Consumer Reports video with a *bleep* for bad language when he first launches the vehicle, ROFL:biggrin:

3. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

I'm a little concerned about why he was leaving rubber marks on launches. You can see this clearly at the 2:00 point in the video.

4. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I'm guessing they had already done some donuts and burnouts earlier and the rubber was already soft because they didn't let the tires cool down. But who knows maybe they lined the car up on existing marks?

5. Andyw2100

#6 Andyw2100, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    The tires being soft is a possibility, I guess. You can definitely see the marks being made as the car moves forward. There were some existing marks, but you can see new ones being made a little to the inside of the old ones, and starting closer to the camera. (The first set of tracks started further back.)

6. notAmeenPerson

The thing is that the car had 40-something miles when he launched it. So it launched at crazy speed not insane speed. Just imagine the string of profanities when it's launched fully charged :biggrin:.

7. lphe

lphe Member

That doesn't seem to be a very objective review. I'm not sure I trust Consumer Reports anymore to provide objective reviews of cars.

8. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

How is the 2 minute something clip in the OP a review?

The only thing he tested was the 0-60 mph acceleration...

9. lphe

lphe Member

This was my attempt at humor. Apparently, I wasn't very successful.

10. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

IDK. Maybe it was just me being tired and feeling a bit grumpy since I currently can't really get my hands on ~965.000 SEK to get a 85D for myself...

That and American English being a second language and all...

11. lphe

lphe Member

#12 lphe, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Or things were lost in my transcription.

12. Amped-Up

Amped-Up Member

Not sure it wasn't more fully charged. if you see the Energy Consumption screen where it shows 40 miles of range - they had been hammering the car plenty before that clip was taken. My guess is that was a filler shot - this is a pretty slickly produced video. But damn I want one...

13. dsm363

Why is that concerning?

14. Andyw2100

Because I thought if the wheels don't spin there is no rubber lost, so thus no excessive tire wear. I've done some launches and did not think I was wearing my tires down unnecessarily in the process.

Am I wrong about all that?

15. Dbitter1

Dbitter1 Journeyman Member

Probably applying stresses to the drivetrain (yay unlimited mile warranty!) but you are right AFAIK, no slip, no lost rubber. And trust me, if your wheels slip at all, you will feel it in the launch*- it makes a tremendous difference. Your passengers may be subjected to a mere S85 or P85+ strength launch, and may not properly risk cr**ping their pants.

---

*I knew I had the most advanced car in the world when I did one in a new area... didn't realize I was driving over railroad tracks at 45 degrees to the road on wet pavement, and felt the slip. It handled just fine. Afterwards, I realized if I were applying 480KW of power to a ICE and hit the same slip pattern, I'd probably have skidded off the road and crashed.

16. gocken2

gocken2 Model S: P6931

The more force you put through the tires the faster they will wear. This applies in straight line acceleration and turning. If the tires spin or slide the wear is greatly amplified.

17. dsm363

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought would happen. If you accelerate at 3.1 seconds (even if the tires don't smoke or leave tire marks behind) that'd be much harder on the tires than a gentle 8 second acceleration.