Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why couldn't the Model X be an eight seater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as a random thought, to keep us amused in our wait for the X, why couldn't the Model X have three seats in the first and second rows? It appears to be a relatively wide car, doesn't have a transmission tunnel or gear lever to get in the way, so there ought to be the space for three seats. Wouldn't that be an interesting option for some? Or have memories of the Fiat Multipla ruined this option for ever?

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I spent a little time searching and didn't find anything.

Robert.

The prototype had 3 seats in the 2nd row and 2 seats in the 3rd row. The base Model X will not be a 4 seater by default. You may be able to order that as an option similar to Model S (executive rear seats).

These days, most 3-rwo vehicles are two in the 3rd row to fit them between the wheels. For Tesla to fit 3 in the back row, the car would have to run higher, at a cost to aerodynamics.

I'm suggesting two seats in the 3rd row, due to having to fit them between the rear wheels. However, the first row isn't between the front wheels so should have enough space for three seats, same as the second row.

That would be good, then we could sell our campervan when the X turns up. A double bunk in the trunk would do though.

I suppose having three across the front would possibly not leave the driver with much elbow room. But I wonder if it would be possible to turn the central console into an occasional seat for those odd times when carrying seven isn't enough?

Just as a random thought, to keep us amused in our wait for the X, why couldn't the Model X have three seats in the first and second rows? It appears to be a relatively wide car, doesn't have a transmission tunnel or gear lever to get in the way, so there ought to be the space for three seats. Wouldn't that be an interesting option for some? Or have memories of the Fiat Multipla ruined this option for ever?

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I spent a little time searching and didn't find anything.

Robert.

There's certainly plenty of space to do this, and making it a folding center console would probably work for most people.

The one part I'm not sure about is crash requirements. You'd certainly have to arrange a shoulder belt, and might need a center airbag?