Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Cramer Is Right To Call Tesla A 'Sell'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's insane. Yes, market conditions would definitely play a part. In the US ICE cars tend to be cheaper even with the incentives. At the same time though, we don't have many pure EVs here
Yeah it's strange here in Norway. EV sales was in Jan 2011 to Jun 2011 1.4% of total sales, not of hybrid sales but total sales. Total national sales was 68 505 cars and total EV sales were 952 EVs.
We got about 30% of total European sales of the MiEV triplets, and considering we've got about 0.7% of the population that's saying something :) The Leaf is first officially launched in october here, and should sell like crazy. Not to mention that Tesla has stepped up the plans for a showroom here in Norway...

Cobos

I'll chip in on this, just for kicks. Hopefully some of my thoughts are not totally out of whack. (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

1. A new Reuters article states: "The limitations of the electric cars right now are all well known," said Houchois. "They will not be replacing combustion engines anytime soon. A lot of people aren't going to replace their cars with electric cars. The industry is reluctant too. Every electric car you sell is a combustion car you don't sell."

Limitations? Apparently they haven't seen the multiple road trips done my Roadster owners using only their Roadster. The EV obviously isn't going to replace the combustion engine overnight but, as the saying goes, the writing is on the wall.

2. Tesla has reported losses, and analysts expect the losses to continue into 2012. Auto sales estimates for almost all makers are coming down substantially, so it's very likely that Tesla might not sell as many cars in 2012 as some previously expected. Plus, in a tough economy, consumers are less likely to buy expensive cars from a relatively new automaker.

So far the reservations seem to be going OK and no one outside of Tesla (AFAIK) has even ridden inside a Model S yet. I'd bet that Model S reservations will increase once the public has access to test rides or drives. Also, unless Model S has major issues in the quality department I don't see the "new automaker" label getting in the way. The Roadster sold well despite the price tag, initial issues and the economy.

3. Green jobs have been a huge disappointment for many, and some green company stocks ranging from solar to wind have been in a very sharp downtrend. The market correction has taken the air out of many stocks in the green sector. The business realities and major losses have turned many high profile, promising green companies into huge disappointments for investors in certain stocks, such as Evergreen Solar (ESLRQ), which now trades on the pink sheets for about 11 cents. A company once visited and praised by Obama, Solyndra received hundreds of millions of dollars from government agencies, and the company recently filed for bankruptcy.

I'm not sure what a solar company has to do with Tesla. That seems like comparing an apple to a watermelon to me (yes, not even an apple-to-orange comparison). I don't know much on the Solyndra issue but that just seems like a case of fraud and/or horrible management.

4. Oil prices have been dropping, and that makes gas much more affordable. Plus, as the Reuters article outlines, automakers are making so many refinements to weight, fuel efficiency and other factors that regular cars and hybrids are narrowing the gap with electric vehicles.

Oil prices are only down due to world economic factors, not supply. Oil is also becoming harder and harder to find. In the meantime China is well on it's way to using more oil than the U.S. and India is also greatly increasing their oil usage. Increasing demand of anything with a finite supply eventually means (extremely) high prices.

Also what "gap" are they talking about? Efficiency? It's kind of hard to make a ~35% (hybrid) car compete with a 88% efficient EV (according to Tesla). Even if a pipe-dream 55% efficient ICE doesn't complete with an EV.

5. Tesla shares have been in a downtrend and do not appear to have found a solid bottom. The stock is only about $3 away from possibly hitting new 52-week lows.

Wall Street lives quarter by quarter. I would actually be shocked (no pun intended) if Tesla didn't get near or below it's 52-week low before Model S is released. Until it's release Tesla won't make much money since the Roadster is (almost?) sold out.

Actually I'm not quite sure that isn't the truth in some places. Here in Norway it seems quite a few are willing to jump on higher value EVs than ICE cars. Partly that's because of our incentives it's possible to get a good brand new EV for a much smaller price than a similar ICE vehicle. And access to HOV lanes is worth almost 2 hours each day in reduced commute for some areas of Oslo. Hence many that have usually bought a 5-10 year old ICE vehicle as their secondary car is trading that for a brand new MiEV or LEAF. I'm probably trading my $3500 1996 Civic for a Model S when it's available, that's a huge leap in cost. I would never buy another new ICE vehicle though if my current ICE clunker dies it will be replace with a 1998-1999 Civic I suppose :)

So in Europe there seems to be a few that will stretch far for a functional/good/luxury EV but wouldn't want to sink that much money into any regular ICE car. After all in Norway a VW Golf TDI with similar equipment as the Leaf costs almost $12 500 more than the LEAF.

Cobos

I heard that someone from Norway put down $500k for 100 Model S's...no wonder!

I heard that someone from Norway put down $500k for 100 Model S's...no wonder!
Iceland?
Denmark?

First Ride: 2012 Tesla Model S Beta
...one gentleman from Iceland who inked a deal to purchase 100 examples for his car sharing service. Fittingly, he signed the papers on the hood of a Model S beta...

Are you also investing in Tesla?
...One guy in Denmark ordered 100 cars for a new taxi company...

Are these multiple 100 car orders from different countries or are people getting their Nordic countries mixed up?

There are many kinds of people trading stock. Who you are will determine if you value a given trade.

1. Arbitrager - will trade strictly to make money from situations which should be correlated or not. i.e. buy in one market, sell in the other to pick up the imbalance of value - TSLA is not interesting - maybe for an options arb.
2. Day trader - mostly these people just trade momentum, very short term - don't really research a stock - TSLA may be interesting.
3. Short term - not really investing, will hold a stock, will look at what they see for fundamentals on their website - don't really research, TSLA looks like a loose. Never profitable, numbers look horrible.
4. Long term - real investing - funds are here - will look past the standard numbers and will look at business plans. Here is where TSLA shines. TSLA has an ambitious plan. TSLA's plan says it will loose money until it will not. It's managing its cash flow and has enough cash for until sometime after product starts getting out the door. This is a business which really shouldn't be publicly traded yet. Lots can go wrong. But so far things seem to be on track and if everything goes to plan it will be a winner.

The problem is that TSLA isn't a stock which should be publicly traded yet. It's not mature enough. But, if you're an investor who really understands risk and who has time to wait for profitability, TSLA makes sense. Some years ago there was a tech downturn and I started working for a startup company. Sure it was risky, but people were losing jobs at all levels. It seemed to me that a startup company which has a plan to develop for 2 years and the cash to do that is a great place to be in a downturn. As long as we stay to plan and hit our milestones we're good. And if the downturn changes into an upswing we'll be well positioned. And it worked out! It is how I made the money to eventually buy my Roadster. The upside is a huge potential. So I think the short sellers should continue to short TSLA. It makes a lot of sense. TSLA isn't going to make a profit. It isn't planning to for awhile. There are good investing reasons to short securities which will under perform or even those which market perform. TSLA isn't going to be a big investing win until late 2012. However when that happens.... if the shorts are not out... if TSLA stays on plan... if TSLA doesn't need to go to the market for capital... Boom! Short squeeze big time.

TSLA provides an opportunity to truly invest. Owning TSLA stock is like being a venture capital investor. Sure it's too late to get in at dollars a share, but you can still get in pretty early.

Or I could be all wrong...

TSLA provides an opportunity to truly invest. Owning TSLA stock is like being a venture capital investor. Sure it's too late to get in at dollars a share, but you can still get in pretty early.

The idea of going public initially was to get money to invest in your business. So people buying your stock are your investors. Dunno, somehow this stock thingy got a life of its own...