Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why detail? Why not use a regular car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some discussion forum participants talk about detailing and OptiCoating. Why not use a regular car wash? What are the pros and cons?

I'm a new Tesla owner; took possession last week. I used regular car washes, for 10 years, for my previous car, a Lexus LS, I'm not aware of any problems that the car washes caused.

Why is a Tesla more delicate than a Lexus, or..., is it?

I had never used detailing on my previous cars, including a Lexus LS, but on this jewel I decided to try going "all in." I had my multi-coat red Model S treated by a detailer with CQuartz Finest (CQuartz Nanotech Ceramic Automotive Paint Coating) and it really changed the appearance--the color seemed deeper and richer. On the advice of the detailer (what else would you expect him to say) I continued getting him to detail my car every couple of weeks. Car washes and even most "detailers" will leave swirl marks in the paint that I never noticed in my previous cars but this thing is so beautiful that I sure notice blemishes on it.

The paint on the Model S is, indeed, softer than that on the Lexus because it's painted in Fremont under stringent CA regulations which don't allow the use of several chemicals that are used in paints on cars built in more forgiving localities. I guess that this contributes to the tendency to get swirl marks but any car paint will get them at a car wash.

After 13 months my Model S still looks as beautiful as when it was new, and I'm blown away every time I see it freshly detailed by a professional. It's worth it to me.

Since I stretched just to get the car there's no question that there won't be any opti-coating. However I will never take this car through a regular car wash -- hand and wand wash only. I just don't want to be on the sad example end of the learning curve. I'll probably have it detailed next year though, get the first year's grime (and 17,000km trek dirt) off by someone who knows what they're doing.

Since I stretched just to get the car there's no question that there won't be any opti-coating. However I will never take this car through a regular car wash -- hand and wand wash only. I just don't want to be on the sad example end of the learning curve. I'll probably have it detailed next year though, get the first year's grime (and 17,000km trek dirt) off by someone who knows what they're doing.

I understand that OptiCoat will cause a further financial stretch. You are wise to hand wash until you can get OptiCoat. You will minimize swirls. Maybe you can get Opticoat later. It will help protect the soft paint. It makes washing the car so much easier.

I took delivery a little more than a week ago and asked my DS about sealant. He said the arguments about the paint being "soft" are inaccurate. In his opinion the paint was fine as-is. However, he then said that spending the money on a sealant as an extra layer of protection would "not be a waste of money."

I bought my car to drive and use daily, but do like to keep it looking nice. In the summer months, I actually enjoy spending a Saturday hand washing and, once or twice a year, waxing. In the winter, I have no qualms about taking it through a car wash. I've used both the "soft cloth" and "touchless" kinds. One problem I did have (nothing to do with Tesla) was having my rims "scuffed" on the rails that guide the car through. There is a new car wash near me that uses a giant conveyor belt meaning there is nothing to damage your tires. I like that or the ones where you drive in and stop, then the mechanism moves around the car.

Reactions: Struja
I'm with you on this! But maybe only one wax job per year...:)

I bought my car to drive and use daily, but do like to keep it looking nice. In the summer months, I actually enjoy spending a Saturday hand washing and, once or twice a year, waxing. In the winter, I have no qualms about taking it through a car wash. I've used both the "soft cloth" and "touchless" kinds. One problem I did have (nothing to do with Tesla) was having my rims "scuffed" on the rails that guide the car through. There is a new car wash near me that uses a giant conveyor belt meaning there is nothing to damage your tires. I like that or the ones where you drive in and stop, then the mechanism moves around the car.

After doing some research, I bought this kit when I first got my car a few months ago:

22PLE Pro Car Kit - EsotericCarCare.com!

I was really impressed with how easy it was to put on - much easier than waxing - and the glass-like finish is amazing. I just put a second coat on yesterday even though it was still beading from the first coat.

I wouldn't buy the kit again. All you need is the Pro bottle and the largest size is the best deal:

VX1 Pro Glass Coating 50ML

I wash the car with a bucket of turtle wax car wash soap and microfibre cloths, then dry it. It takes no time at all and with the coating it washes and dries easier. I've never washed a car as much as I've washed this one, but I find it enjoyable.

u
you should increase the pressure of the machine and choose a suitable spray nozzle. maybe your pressure washer is not from a valid company.
It's an electric Gerni brand model.
Gerni 1.4kW Classic 120.5PC High Pressure Cleaner
It comes with two different nozzles and I've tried both.
It looks strong, but for some reason doesn't remove most grime from car :-(

Some discussion forum participants talk about detailing and OptiCoating. Why not use a regular car wash? What are the pros and cons?

I'm a new Tesla owner; took possession last week. I used regular car washes, for 10 years, for my previous car, a Lexus LS, I'm not aware of any problems that the car washes caused.

Why is a Tesla more delicate than a Lexus, or..., is it?

Welcome to the forums. The pros and cons are going to be the same for this car, as it is for any other car. From experience on 3 Tesla's totalling over 100,000 miles on them; the only time any of them get a detail or hand wash is when it goes into Tesla service. The rest of the time, it gets slapped around through a drive through automatic wash. I haven't had any issues over time.

All my cars get dirty:
full

and then they get clean:
full

No dents. No scratches. Mirrors haven't been ripped off. Spoiler is still there. AP cameras are still aligned. It's all pretty drama free.

Reactions: snellenr