Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did I do that?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OrthoSurg

Jun 2, 2017
Montreal
My corolla needed many parts replacement so I was hoping to get my Model 3 soon, however I had to find out a car for work for the next 18 months till my Model 3 delivery.
So, it happens that a collegue of mine at work was switching his Mazda 6 for a Mercedes AMG C43 last month and the garage was giving him only $5000 for his Mazda 6 since he had 2 accidents on the front bumper and it was reducing the value of his car for each accident even if it was the same part that had to be replaced twice.
So he decided to keep it and sell it on craiglist or local classified.
I was in the process of searching a minivan for the family since we have 3 kids but in the meanwhile it was falling right in the good timing to replace my Corolla for work temporarly for the next 18 months before my Model 3.
So he tells me he listed it $7500 on local classified and he could cut me a sweat deal and let it go for $6000.
I said ok, let's do this, I know you, is it a reliable car?
He said, yeah I did all the maintenance and I replaced all brakes last year, changed oil line, wheel bearing last year, 4 winter tires with mags.

Ok fine, Tuesday morning from last week, we go to his house, the car is in the Driveway, his father is there because he was mandated to sell the car because my collegue doesn't have time for that stuff. My collegue and I agree for a car inspection to make sure everything is in order but here is the mishap, his father steps in and says with his mecanis background that everything is in perfect working order, not to lose money and time on a car inspection, blah blah blah. Pretty much convinced both of us so we head out for a test drive and go to get the registration transfered. Cars drives smoothly, no evident noise, AC on, windows closed, brakes well, etc.
After the test drive, we get to the store, transfer the registrations of the car, eat for dinner, we go to his place so I pick up the winter tires, then we go play tennis.
Everything is perfect, everyone is happy.

Wednesday morning, I drive to work, I go through a speedbump slowly while braking in my backstreet when I get out of my parking, I feel and hear a little muffled sound from the hood and feel it a little bit in the steering wheel.
I thought, oh well it might be a little rock on the speedbump left by the kids yesterday or I fell in the space between the 2 speedbumps.

Anyways, I continue the drive to work and on the highway the samething happens again while hitting a pothole at highspeed.
Thurdsday same sounds.
Friday, going to my old garage downtown where I used to live and I know well and trust the guys.
They jack the car on the lift, tell me to accelerate and then brake. While doing that you see the whole engine and transmission shifting and going to hit the radiator.
They discover that the engine support rods and the transmission support rods are broken on the driver side and basically the engine and the transmission are floating around in the car on one side.

Now the problem, they don't have the parts. I need to go to Mazda to order them, they make me take a pictures to make sure Mazda order the good ones, then I have to come back and it's a 3 hours job if I'm lucky to get the engine and transmission out to complete the work. Probably $2000 at the dealer, probably $600 at the local garage since they know me for a while and they are good at doing fair jobs at a really cheap rate.

Speaking with my friends, they tell me that this car had to be beaten of the accidents caused the rods failure and that this guy should take back his car and make the repairs and sell it after it's repaired and good working order as announced.

Sunday, I work with my collegue, show him the video and he say that the car never had this problem when he had it, it's new, that I'm bad lucked in my 3 days of ownership of the car and that since we're "friends" he'll refer me to his garage and he will pay me cash half of the repair costs.
I tell him that after discussion with my wife, I don't have time to start going repeatedly at the garage to get some supposedly good working order car back on the road by fixing a rusty part that for a 2010 Mazda 6, should be in good condition, well at least fixed before someone sells his used car.
He refuses to take back his car since he said he already canceller his insurance contract and don't want to pay for another year of it as a penalty if he has to renew, he then says he doesn't have space to park this car anymore, speak with his father, calls me a liar and says I'm dishonest, blahblahblah, *sugar* gets real.

So I partially agree to his plan to get the repairs all done at my cost and then he plans to refund me cash after the repairs. But then I speak with my wife that according to the consumer protection office, hidden defects are by law eligible for Sell cancellation if the refund offered by the seller doesn't suffice. So my wife tells me to bring back his car to where I picked up, drop the keys in the mailbox, and then meet him at the Registration store to get the transaction canceled.

I swear solemnly to never buy a used ICE car ever again in my whole life and if one of my kid intends to do so, I will tell him to bring the car to the garage for a formal inspection even if there is an earthquake or a tsunami, no matter what.

Thanks you for listening, hope my anger makes you feel better if your week was better than mine.
Sorry for those who have health problems whom think that I complain for nothing for my car problem which is seemingly superficial to all the refugisn refugees problems out there. I apology.

Or, a reason to have a good test drive and have the car inspected before buying. That way there can be no argument that they hid anything.

Yeah, I don't get the 'don't do business' with friends. I've bought a used vehicle from a friend before. No issues. The friend is the one who had the issues when they went and bought a brand new vehicle, and ended up lemon lawing that vehicle and (jokingly) asked for their old vehicle back.

First, is the person REALLY your friend? Or more of an acquaintance? Co-worker? How do you define friend? My friends are only the ones who will help me bury the body and not ask any questions. Everyone else is just people I'm friendly with.

Second, if you don't know enough about cars/the used car you're buying and don't want to be bothered researching online the make and year for general mechanical trends with the vehicle, then hire a professional to do it for you. Especially when you know the vehicle has been in repeated accidents.

I might use that line instead...

My line is usually "My friends are the ones I can call at 3am and say I need $xxxx, and the only question they'd ask is large bills or small bills"

That's an excellent question and true friend parameter as well. I guess the difference is I've never needed a lump sum of money like that that I couldn't simply get myself, but there's been a number times when...oh, um...so, how about those Raiders? :oops:

This sounds like extenuating circumstances, but cars break. It's what they do. My wife and I once loaned a car to a friend I would trust with my life, and during that 24 hours 2 things broke! I'm positive he did nothing wrong and it was just bad luck. All I'm saying is, make so much money you don't care.

I ended up giving him the money because I'll just bring the car to the garage and get the things changed if the 2 other mounts bust and it's a 3 hours job. So my garage guy charge 50$/hour, 150$ labor + the mounts that's nothing.

The guys who sold me the car is even read to give me 50% of the cost if they break in the next 12 months, official contract signed.

We'll see.