Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did iphone key drop from car as available key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both my wife and I have our separate iPhones as keys for our new Tesla 3. Today when my wife went to the car she could not access it and we discovered the phone was no longer linked as a key. We got in with my phone and then re-added hers as a key and all is apparently well. Why did this happen and how do we prevent it happening again?

Weird question - no updating to newer iPhone?

I did that recently and had to remove old phone and add the new phone, even though the backup restore made everything look/act the same.

Don't think it is the case based on how you worded your question, but thought I would ask.

Followup - was the Tesla app uninstalled/reinstalled on her phone? Or signed out of and then back in?

Had the same problem today. The only way to get her phone working was to open her Tesla APP. Seemed to stop running in background. We have to select the app every time now.. Not sure why it is stopping. My cell does not do that.

Last edited:
OK I HAVE THE ANSWER!!! My Wife's iPhone 12 would not stay connected. It continuously dropped or she had to activate her Tesla app over and over to get into the car when she was alone, and then it would disconnect while she was driving causing numerous warnings. Mine always would work because I was the only one that had a Tesla Account. I called Tesla Software Support They had me remove the Tesla app from her phone.. Reinstall it and made a new account for her under her email. Then I sent her a text message from my iphone to her iphone from my Tesla app under "Security and Drivers" allowing her to have her own account. Activated it from that text on her iphone. I then erased her phone from my Y and searched and connected her phone again. I had to use the Key Card during the process of connecting her phone after i accepted the text on her phone. Location services always has to be on for the app. That is the fix! Salute!

Last edited: