Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did my car do this? (Dash Cam Video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At night. Wet roads. Low speeds. Lots of changes in lane configurations. Open driveways to the right.

Probably not the best place to be trying AP. AP can handle some of those things, and can handle some of those things at the same time. Throwing all of those things in together at once is probably not a great idea.

Seems like the opening of the turn lane on your left, with the driveway that came up on the right, made AP think that the lane you were in was changing. The wet roads at night might have made the lane markings more difficult to see. You might have seen an indication on the display, but in that situation I wouldn't have been looking at the display to see it.

It is a proof that your version of AP gives priority to left lane. 18.39 version is known for swerving when lines disappear. 18.42 does not do it as much.

Be careful using AP on local roads. Always ask uourself, if AP did something unexpected would I have time to detect it and correct it.

Let's play AI for a moment. Look at the view and find the lines. Where is the road?

EAPai3.jpg

It's just a guess, and it only lasts for a few frames. But that computer works very fast so it is possible that it was trying to get you back on "the road".

Dash cam certainly makes this game more interesting. And more fun.