TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why did my range go up after parking?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by notAnExpert, Jan 12, 2020.

1. notAnExpert

notAnExpert Member

I haven’t seen this with my car before. I’m curious why it happened.

This morning, I supercharged to 254 mile battery capacity. Drove home about 4 miles and the battery was at 250. So far so good. After about two hours, I get in the car to drive, and now the range says 256 miles.

How did my car magically get six extra miles after parking for a couple of hours? I’m used to the range dropping after parking. But this is the first time I’ve seen it go up and that too by six miles!

Does this happen to others too?

2. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

I blame dark energy.

definitely.

• Funny x 3
  3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Battery cooled down.

Just another one of those pieces of magic that are a part of the equation and why ALL the numbers are just guesses.

• Informative x 1
  4. garth_angst

garth_angst Member

I have had my car parked at work on a cold day with the snowflake on. It showed 180 miles of range. I drove home 13.5 miles and the miles were going down more than my actual miles. After a while, the snowflake was gone and my range started going up. I ended up at home showing 176. I was contemplating driving around for another 100 miles to see if it went down only by 20 or so ;-)
    I think when I got to work, I was at around 188-190. Those cold days do a number on range, and it's been a mild winter so far here on Long Island. Almost 70 today. I took off Chill mode and had some fun.

• Funny x 1