Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did Tesla remove option to disable regenerative braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm asking here instead of directly to Tesla because their only Contact Us options were for solar roofs or calling a store and neither of them knows....

While test driving the Model Y I noticed the regenerative braking was pretty aggressive. I called the sales person from the car to ask if I could adjust it. He explained that unfortunately Tesla removed the option to disable regenerative braking in the October 2020 software update, and suggested cheerfully that it's a driving experience drivers adapt to. (Some context here, I'm used to regenerative braking from my Prius of the past five years, but I like the freedom of easily toggling it on or off as needed, and its resistance is considerably milder than Tesla's.) I found Tesla's regenerative braking to be so strong it was similar to actively depressing a brake pedal half way to the floor when the foot wasn't on the accelerator. In my opinion it was a fatiguing nuisance having to stay on top of the accelerator all the time. I know you can engage cruise control as a workaround but cruise is only useful in certain conditions.

I went to an Earth Day fair a week later because many makes and models of EVs would be there and I wanted to hear pros and cons directly from owners. One Model Y owner said he'd always driven with regenerative braking at the maximum setting anyway so it didn't bother him, but he felt sure there was still a way to turn it off. Then a woman, intrigued by the topic, offered to take me on a test drive in her Model Y and go through all the settings for regenerative braking. We did and both agreed none of the settings made much difference. Then she confessed that she can't take her best friend around in her car because the regenerative braking gives her friend motion sickness, and that she'd heard similar stories from others. (But she was still crazy about her Model Y.)

What do you think Tesla's rationale is for removing the option of turning off regenerative braking, especially when it could limit their pool of consumers? It's a deal breaker for any buyer who has to consider how many kids/relatives, friends, business associates, or other unknown future passengers it might affect. My only thought has been maybe Tesla wants to pump up their range statistics and didn't realize that it could make some people ill or fatigued if they suffer from motion sickness or certain disabilities.

Aside from that, I'm bothered a seller can change something without my permission after I've paid for it.

Solution
For those with a tendency toward motion sickness, the solution is to drive more smoothly - feather the accelerator, plan your stops further ahead, etc. Chill mode helps with passengers that easily get motion sickness.

To answer your question, low regen was removed in order to boost the EPA figures due to the way the EPA handles driving modes.
For those with a tendency toward motion sickness, the solution is to drive more smoothly - feather the accelerator, plan your stops further ahead, etc. Chill mode helps with passengers that easily get motion sickness.

To answer your question, low regen was removed in order to boost the EPA figures due to the way the EPA handles driving modes.

Last edited:
Upvote 6
Solution
I have to agree with Big Earl. If you can control your foot well enough to accelerate smoothly, you can control it well enough to decelerate slowly.

Sure, you can continue to drive as if the car will coast if you lift your foot off the pedal entirely, and curse the car every time it doesn't do that. Or you can learn how to control a modern car.

Upvote 0
A big game changer for me was when I realized the dotted lines next to the speedo were saying my throttle and regen braking was limited. Prior to that, I had no idea why it'd get inconsistent regen braking, and that made it really hard to smoothly control it.

All that being said, I wish I had the option to turn it off. I like it when driving by myself, but my wife and youngest son feel sick from it. I would happily sacrifice range for it. Honestly, I'd look into an aftermarket tune just to be able to remove this functionality. I just don't want to throw away my warranty over it.

Upvote 0
A big game changer for me was when I realized the dotted lines next to the speedo were saying my throttle and regen braking was limited. Prior to that, I had no idea why it'd get inconsistent regen braking, and that made it really hard to smoothly control it.

All that being said, I wish I had the option to turn it off. I like it when driving by myself, but my wife and youngest son feel sick from it. I would happily sacrifice range for it. Honestly, I'd look into an aftermarket tune just to be able to remove this functionality. I just don't want to throw away my warranty over it.
I wonder if Tesla could get around the EPA stuff if they made it a 'paid upgrade'. So I have to pay $10 to unlock this feature or something arbitrary like that. Again, Tesla, if you're listening, I'd gladly pay $10!

Upvote 0
I wasn't aware that they removed this option in new cars until I placed my order. I don't think this will deter me from buying the car, but I rented the Y a few times, and the first option I disable is regen braking (model I rented still had that option). I have a road trip coming up where I'm renting the Y again, and this time I won't disable it. I suspect it's a matter of getting used to it kind of feature.

Upvote 0
I wasn't aware that they removed this option in new cars until I placed my order. I don't think this will deter me from buying the car, but I rented the Y a few times, and the first option I disable is regen braking (model I rented still had that option). I have a road trip coming up where I'm renting the Y again, and this time I won't disable it. I suspect it's a matter of getting used to it kind of feature.
Steve Jobs would be proud!

Yes, it's just a matter of getting used to it. Once you do, you won't want to go back.

Upvote 0
I'm asking here instead of directly to Tesla because their only Contact Us options were for solar roofs or calling a store and neither of them knows....

While test driving the Model Y I noticed the regenerative braking was pretty aggressive. I called the sales person from the car to ask if I could adjust it. He explained that unfortunately Tesla removed the option to disable regenerative braking in the October 2020 software update, and suggested cheerfully that it's a driving experience drivers adapt to. (Some context here, I'm used to regenerative braking from my Prius of the past five years, but I like the freedom of easily toggling it on or off as needed, and its resistance is considerably milder than Tesla's.) I found Tesla's regenerative braking to be so strong it was similar to actively depressing a brake pedal half way to the floor when the foot wasn't on the accelerator. In my opinion it was a fatiguing nuisance having to stay on top of the accelerator all the time. I know you can engage cruise control as a workaround but cruise is only useful in certain conditions.

I went to an Earth Day fair a week later because many makes and models of EVs would be there and I wanted to hear pros and cons directly from owners. One Model Y owner said he'd always driven with regenerative braking at the maximum setting anyway so it didn't bother him, but he felt sure there was still a way to turn it off. Then a woman, intrigued by the topic, offered to take me on a test drive in her Model Y and go through all the settings for regenerative braking. We did and both agreed none of the settings made much difference. Then she confessed that she can't take her best friend around in her car because the regenerative braking gives her friend motion sickness, and that she'd heard similar stories from others. (But she was still crazy about her Model Y.)

What do you think Tesla's rationale is for removing the option of turning off regenerative braking, especially when it could limit their pool of consumers? It's a deal breaker for any buyer who has to consider how many kids/relatives, friends, business associates, or other unknown future passengers it might affect. My only thought has been maybe Tesla wants to pump up their range statistics and didn't realize that it could make some people ill or fatigued if they suffer from motion sickness or certain disabilities.

Aside from that, I'm bothered a seller can change something without my permission after I've paid for it.

There never was an option to "turn off" regenerative braking. There was an option to "turn DOWN" regenerative braking, but it does not seem to have been removed from cars that had that option when sold, so it was either there when you bought it, and remains there, or it was never there, and still isnt.

Upvote 0
@jjrandorin is correct, there never was a turn off option. You could only adjust the regen to have a slightly milder effect. I would encourage you @Tipjar to not let the regen dissuade you from purchasing a Tesla. It only takes a few days to get used to the footwork required for smooth usage. My passengers never know I don't have "standard braking" like a traditional ICE vehicle.

I suspect Tesla removed the option because they wanted to maximize range, knowing that after the first few drives, customers forget regen braking is even a thing. It just becomes normal.

Upvote 0
@jjrandorin is correct, there never was a turn off option. You could only adjust the regen to have a slightly milder effect. I would encourage you @Tipjar to not let the regen dissuade you from purchasing a Tesla. It only takes a few days to get used to the footwork required for smooth usage. My passengers never know I don't have "standard braking" like a traditional ICE vehicle.

I suspect Tesla removed the option because they wanted to maximize range, knowing that after the first few drives, customers forget regen braking is even a thing. It just becomes normal.
I wouldn't drive without it. It took so little time to get used to the feature

Upvote 0
Eh, yes. It's up to 85kW of regenerative braking. Obviously you hit high values when you're going fast. If your battery is cold, regen is limited. Maybe that's why you find it's not much. Look at your power bar to see if there's a dotted portion on the left...
Note that your Tesla is probably much heavier than the Prime was so it takes more energy to slow it down...

Reactions: Big Earl
Upvote 0
Ah! The battery indicator uses a flat EPA factor whereas most cars use the average consumption as the main indicator. I believe that explains the discrepancy. Said another way, you're comparing apples to oranges. Open up the energy graph on your Tesla and look at the estimated range remaining go up as you go downhill... That will be closer to the Prime's display I believe.
The real measure would be how many kWh were put back in the battery. Unfortunately the cars don't show that on the displays.

Upvote 0