Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did Tesla remove option to disable regenerative braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm asking here instead of directly to Tesla because their only Contact Us options were for solar roofs or calling a store and neither of them knows....

While test driving the Model Y I noticed the regenerative braking was pretty aggressive. I called the sales person from the car to ask if I could adjust it. He explained that unfortunately Tesla removed the option to disable regenerative braking in the October 2020 software update, and suggested cheerfully that it's a driving experience drivers adapt to. (Some context here, I'm used to regenerative braking from my Prius of the past five years, but I like the freedom of easily toggling it on or off as needed, and its resistance is considerably milder than Tesla's.) I found Tesla's regenerative braking to be so strong it was similar to actively depressing a brake pedal half way to the floor when the foot wasn't on the accelerator. In my opinion it was a fatiguing nuisance having to stay on top of the accelerator all the time. I know you can engage cruise control as a workaround but cruise is only useful in certain conditions.

I went to an Earth Day fair a week later because many makes and models of EVs would be there and I wanted to hear pros and cons directly from owners. One Model Y owner said he'd always driven with regenerative braking at the maximum setting anyway so it didn't bother him, but he felt sure there was still a way to turn it off. Then a woman, intrigued by the topic, offered to take me on a test drive in her Model Y and go through all the settings for regenerative braking. We did and both agreed none of the settings made much difference. Then she confessed that she can't take her best friend around in her car because the regenerative braking gives her friend motion sickness, and that she'd heard similar stories from others. (But she was still crazy about her Model Y.)

What do you think Tesla's rationale is for removing the option of turning off regenerative braking, especially when it could limit their pool of consumers? It's a deal breaker for any buyer who has to consider how many kids/relatives, friends, business associates, or other unknown future passengers it might affect. My only thought has been maybe Tesla wants to pump up their range statistics and didn't realize that it could make some people ill or fatigued if they suffer from motion sickness or certain disabilities.

Aside from that, I'm bothered a seller can change something without my permission after I've paid for it.

Solution
For those with a tendency toward motion sickness, the solution is to drive more smoothly - feather the accelerator, plan your stops further ahead, etc. Chill mode helps with passengers that easily get motion sickness.

To answer your question, low regen was removed in order to boost the EPA figures due to the way the EPA handles driving modes.
I have no issue controlling speed with my right foot, either accelerating, constant speed, or slowing down. It’s just pivoting my foot, gently, after all.
That was not the question. Have you driven your Tesla in a low or no traction situation? How do you know you have perfectly matched wheel speed to vehicle speed in those conditions? There is literally no feedback.

Upvote 0
It has been stated before, but it might be good to bring up again for any new to the thread that you can still set your regen level in new Tesla's. You need the aftermarket S3XY buttons though. Yes, the commands to set the regen level are still in the new cars, Tesla just hides them from you.

Reactions: ord3r
Upvote 0
Where is this?
All the CAN bus commands to set the regen level are still present. Which makes sense, since the car itself still needs to do that for cold weather, high SOC, etc. You just need a device to issue those commands, which is what the S3XY buttons let you do. In fact, they let you do more than just a regen off/standard setting like the older cars do. You can set from 0-100% in 25% increments.

Upvote 0
VERY interesting...i might pick myself up this kit...
Agree, need to think of this IF I decide to keep my S reservation.

I loved the one pedal drive but fact is that you continuously must use your right foot.
My Audi etron GT has zero regeneration standard, only activated when touching break and (with predictive re-gen) activated when approaching situation where lower speed is needed.
I do like the fact that you can take of your foot from the accelerator without losing speed.

You need to keep in mind that with Tesla you have a mechanical connection with your brake, so IF you touch brake you WILL brake and not regenerate. So when disabling this feature you will not recharge battery and wear down your brake pads. In the Audi you can have massive regeneration and even with hard braking it will not activate your real brakes.

Upvote 0
You need to keep in mind that with Tesla you have a mechanical connection with your brake, so IF you touch brake you WILL brake and not regenerate. So when disabling this feature you will not recharge battery and wear down your brake pads. In the Audi you can have massive regeneration and even with hard braking it will not activate your real brakes.

I actually had 208k miles on my MS and the rear brakes were still original. I replaced the front brakes only once around 190k miles.

Upvote 0
And I'd like it to be less. Wouldn't it be great if we could both have what we want! Here's to adjustability.
Yeah exactly....What is the argument against having the options? I just see the same Kool Aid drinkers talk about it as if Tesla just knows what is best for us...when we all know they only removed this to boost EPA ratings..not because they actually don't want the options.....other car manufacturers seem to be figuring it out.

For me personally, I enjoy the one pedal driving..except on longer drives....but I can totally understand why one wouldn't want this..or in certain conditions not want this...

Reactions: smogne41
Upvote 0
Yeah exactly....What is the argument against having the options? I just see the same Kool Aid drinkers talk about it as if Tesla just knows what is best for us...when we all know they only removed this to boost EPA ratings..not because they actually don't want the options.....other car manufacturers seem to be figuring it out.

For me personally, I enjoy the one pedal driving..except on longer drives....but I can totally understand why one wouldn't want this..or in certain conditions not want this...
There are aftermarket solutions to the reduction of Regen.

Upvote 0
My inability to turn off go-pedal regen braking doing my overnight test drive so traumatized my wife that to this day she still will not drive "my" MY, even though I have had the MY for more than nine months now. I even bought the S3XY buttons, specifically because of her trauma. She still refuses to drive the car. My S3XY buttons sit in the glove box unused.

Personally, after a few weeks of driving with regen I felt totally comfortable. After a few months owning the MY I had to drive her ICE vehicle in for service, and I came slightly close to crashing when her car did NOT automatically brake. So I do have some sympathy for individuals who only rarely drive a car with the OTHER system.

Reactions: laservet
Upvote 0