Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did Tesla Service Touch My Perfectly Fine Panels and Make it Worse // Best Service Center in Bay Area Recs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, recently I had my model Y passenger side rear door adjusted at a Tesla Service Center. It was raining a lot on that day, so I couldn't really look at the results too closely. However, when I got home in my garage, I noticed that now I have weird panel gaps near the trunk that was not there before.

Here is a picture of before:
IMG.jpeg

And here is a picture of after:
IMG_4433.jpeg

I don't understand why the gaps have been made bigger? The door issue they fixed, but made my unrelated panels worse. Should I take it back to them and show these before and after pictures? Will they even fix it for me? Super discouraged about all of this—really not sure why they did this.

Also, any Tesla service center recommendations in the Bay Area? Preferrably one that will fix issues and treat you with respect/courtesy!

What do the gaps look like on the passenger door? Why did it need adjusting?

Perhaps they adjusted gaps on the door after adjusting it, which pulled the rear panel away from the hatch? (I wouldnt think the year panel could actually move at all...)

What do the gaps look like on the passenger door? Why did it need adjusting?

Perhaps they adjusted gaps on the door after adjusting it, which pulled the rear panel away from the hatch? (I wouldnt think the year panel could actually move at all...)

No gaps on passenger door. The issue with the door wasn't panel gaps. The door would make a really loud booming noise when opening. Tesla fixed this issue.
Not sure how fixing the door is now causing panel gaps near trunk/taillights

They might have increased the height of the rubber stopers which tell trunk when to stop closing Thus making the gap. The second you say booming noises, they might adjust them. You can adjust yourself (search for the model y ear pain pressure mega thread) or make appointment for trim issue and say the trunk bump stops might need tweaking. Hopefully they will send mobile repair to take a look.

They might have increased the height of the rubber stopers which tell trunk when to stop closing Thus making the gap. The second you say booming noises, they might adjust them. You can adjust yourself (search for the model y ear pain pressure mega thread) or make appointment for trim issue and say the trunk bump stops might need tweaking. Hopefully they will send mobile repair to take a look.
If memory is correct, this video from the thread mentions the four rubber stoppers In the trunk.

Hmmm... they might have been trying to be nice and checked on your trunk. In the newer picture the trunk is actually MORE aligned now to the rear tail lamp than before. This seems to be an improvement to me. The average person will not notice the gap you're highlighting but they will notice where corners meet up.

No gaps on passenger door. The issue with the door wasn't panel gaps. The door would make a really loud booming noise when opening. Tesla fixed this issue.
Not sure how fixing the door is now causing panel gaps near trunk/taillights

"Booming" noise in a Model Y is normally related to the rear liftgate (vibration in the liftgate acting like a subwoofer). It looks like they may have adjusted the liftgate in hopes of reducing the "booming" noise. The panel gaps in your liftgate can be adjusted by turning the four rubber liftgate stops. The two upper stops are near the taillights outside of the weather stripping and the two lower stops are on the lower sill plate inside the weather stripping. Turn them clockwise to lower the liftgate and counterclockwise to raise the liftgate. There are other posts that talk about booming noise in a model Y that give detailed instructions on how to adjust the liftgate (i.e. the envelope method). However, adjusting the stops may reintroduce the booming noise (if that was the problem). There are also posts that describe other DIY fixes for booming noise in a model Y (e.g. inserting vinyl tubing into the weather stripping - which does work). Search on "noise in model Y".

Reactions: Nanaholy
"Booming" noise in a Model Y is normally related to the rear liftgate (vibration in the liftgate acting like a subwoofer). It looks like they may have adjusted the liftgate in hopes of reducing the "booming" noise. The panel gaps in your liftgate can be adjusted by turning the four rubber liftgate stops. The two upper stops are near the taillights outside of the weather stripping and the two lower stops are on the lower sill plate inside the weather stripping. Turn them clockwise to lower the liftgate and counterclockwise to raise the liftgate. There are other posts that talk about booming noise in a model Y that give detailed instructions on how to adjust the liftgate (i.e. the envelope method). However, adjusting the stops may reintroduce the booming noise (if that was the problem). There are also posts that describe other DIY fixes for booming noise in a model Y (e.g. inserting vinyl tubing into the weather stripping - which does work). Search on "noise in model Y".
FYI: My MYP does not have pannel gaps or booming noises. Should not you take auto back to Tesla for repair? DYS repairs may void your warranty and cause more issues.

FYI: My MYP does not have pannel gaps or booming noises. Should not you take auto back to Tesla for repair? DYS repairs may void your warranty and cause more issues.
My comments were to propose a possible reason why Tesla Service changed the panel gaps on the liftgate for John Lim and how to correct the panel gaps if he so desired. If you have neither panel gaps or booming noises you don't have need for the information I provided. Tesla Service, in my experience and that of other members, has not been very responsive in addressing the booming noise issues with some model Ys, which is why there are several threads on the issue. But for other problems I do agree that you should take your vehicle to Tesla for service. I would only employ DIY fixes when they tell you it's a characteristic of the vehicle or it's "within spec" and you can't get them to address your issue (i.e. last resort).

Reactions: RedY23
My comments were to propose a possible reason why Tesla Service changed the panel gaps on the liftgate for John Lim and how to correct the panel gaps if he so desired. If you have neither panel gaps or booming noises you don't have need for the information I provided. Tesla Service, in my experience and that of other members, has not been very responsive in addressing the booming noise issues with some model Ys, which is why there are several threads on the issue. But for other problems I do agree that you should take your vehicle to Tesla for service. I would only employ DIY fixes when they tell you it's a characteristic of the vehicle or it's "within spec" and you can't get them to address your issue (i.e. last resort).
Sry that was for the orig poster, I understand your point of view.

My opinion on a new car is to play Karen with the seller, Tesla. Although I can fix stuff myself most of the time, If I paid for a new product its …here > Teslas responsibility to repair. After 3Tries it is a lemon and they are required by law to at least engage the customer with a mutually agreeable solution. Why take a manufacturing issue upon yourself. If service wont deal with it pay 200 for an atty and contact tesla. They WILL respond or repair!!
Easier than wasting your own time with you tube videos that often are inaccurate. also if you do your own attempts at repairs you are just playing into Teslas hand. They wont have to acknowledge there is a problem.
Again just my opinion, having had a new car every 2 years for the last 20. Its ultimately a product and if not sold in good condition I make the seller repair. One time Dealer and automaker would tell me there is no problem. Subsequent to a well placed complaint from an attorney a more experienced quality control staff from the company called us to explain its a known issue and they just now have a repair available. And also they issued a discount on my next lease as part of a lemon law complaint/arbitration.
So make em fixed it!!!

Reactions: aerodyne