Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did the car alarm just go off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car was unlocked with the driver's door open, boot open and two kids in the back. All other doors closed.

The car was unlocked by proximity of the iPhone in my pocket. I pressed the brake pedal and all hell broke with the sound system blasting out rock music and the sentry logo flashed up full-size on the screen.

I couldn't turn the alarm off my pressing anything on the app. I press the lock/unlock button and it came up with an error message (something like can't lock/unlock the car). However I was able to turn the sound of the music down by using the left scroll wheel, as you usually do to change the volume.

Only had the car a couple of weeks but not had this problem before. Any ideas?

M3 LR, software: 2020.8.2

It appears that sentry can be activated in some circumstances when the car is occupied. Not sure of the circumstances.

If it was the alarm, the app would probably get a notification. If sentry, it would not. But it sounds like sentry to me due to the music.

As hinted in TeslaFi:
upload_2020-3-31_9-7-31.png

It appears that sentry can be activated in some circumstances when the car is occupied. Not sure of the circumstances.

If it was the alarm, the app would probably get a notification. If sentry, it would not. But it sounds like sentry to me due to the music.

As hinted in TeslaFi:
View attachment 527813

I think you are on to something - there was no notification in the app.

I will do some further research to try and find out why sentry can be activated when in the car - it doesn’t make sense to me why this should ever happen.