Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you buy/order an electric car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I have a pre-order on a model 3. The reason I want an electric car is the instant torque, low emissions and the high tech of it all.
The only thing I am not sure about is Autopilot. I am sure its a great feature but it should be an option. The mechatronics parts needed for autopilot (motors, solenoids, servos etc) add weight to the vehicle.

It would be great if Autopilot was an option.

Having said that I understand Tesla are trying to stick to a single production platform per vehicle as much as possible and also trying to keep ahead of the industry in terms of technology.
Thinking out loud.

All of that, plus convenience, reliability, smoothness, and energy independence both personal and national. :)

The weight impact of Autopilot is trivial - pretty much limited to the weight of the camera module and radar module. The steering is controlled by the same motor that's always been in every Model S and Model X as the power steering assist - Tesla has been using a dual pinion electric power assist system, a fairly popular choice on newer cars which works very well. With new programming, it does other things.

The brakes are powered using the same motor that serves as the brake power assist, too. I'm not sure how the iBooster compares in weight to the prior more traditional power assist system, but it isn't grossly larger, and iBooster is a much better power assist system even if AP weren't around.

Trust me, after a couple weeks with AP, you won't have any doubts about its value - and that's not even counting the safety systems Tesla is building into every car, which require all that same hardware anyway.

The fact that the car was electric was ancillary with regard to my decision to commit to buying a Model S.

I bought when I bought primarily due to the AP features announcement, and wouldn't drive a car without these features. Not a day goes by that I don't appreciate the TACC, speed management, interface, performance, and lanekeeping abilities of this chariot. And that doesn't include the AP passive features.

I don't know how much time and/or lung tissue I've saved by not waiting in line at the nearby Costco to get gas, but I do know that time spent supercharging can be productive, and that right there is a win all by itself.

Your mileage, evidently, may vary :).

The fact that the car was electric was ancillary with regard to my decision to commit to buying a Model S.

I bought when I bought primarily due to the AP features announcement, and wouldn't drive a car without these features. Not a day goes by that I don't appreciate the TACC, speed management, interface, performance, and lanekeeping abilities of this chariot. And that doesn't include the AP passive features.

I don't know how much time and/or lung tissue I've saved by not waiting in line at the nearby Costco to get gas, but I do know that time spent supercharging can be productive, and that right there is a win all by itself.

Your mileage, evidently, may vary :).

Yeah, AP matters a lot. I answered the way I did because of the question he asked...

Without AP (or without the extensive Supercharger network,) I'd almost certainly still have my Volt and be kibitzing over here and wishing, but not willing to spend the money.

However, my decision to go (mostly) electric was made several years ago for the reasons above, before I bought the Volt, back in the days when the Model S was still a prototype.
Walter

Reactions: TaoJones
Yeah, AP matters a lot. I answered the way I did because of the question he asked...

Without AP (or without the extensive Supercharger network,) I'd almost certainly still have my Volt and be kibitzing over here and wishing, but not willing to spend the money.

However, my decision to go (mostly) electric was made several years ago for the reasons above, before I bought the Volt, back in the days when the Model S was still a prototype.
Walter

Fwiw, I didn't see your post - I was writing mine when you posted yours, and in hindsight meant to quote the OP anyway which would have highlighted to which post I replied.

That said, I tip my hat to all of the early adopters of EVs in general. And to all of the early Model S buyers, who not only had to endure all of the foibles of a newly-produced car, but the wait of, in some cases years rather than, in my case, 6 weeks or so. Less than 2 months from the first notion of buying one to picking it up at the factory, now that I recall.

In some ways, these are now the remaining few years of driver-engaged driving :). Although it will probably take a generation, the act of actually *driving*, at least on major highways, will probably be looked down upon by the young folk as "so last year". Heh.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the autopilot hardware is trivial in weight. It's all part of the safety features anyway, and that's highly desirable I think. Autopilot is all about the software.

I've gone into my reasons for buying this car in other threads, but I don't mind repeating it. The M3 promises the following that appeals to me:

* Be a real rocket
* Use alternative fuel that is cheaper and doesn't spit out hazardous gases
* Be packed with technology
* Be a good looking car

Reactions: Electric_Blue
Hi guys,

I have a pre-order on a model 3. The reason I want an electric car is the instant torque, low emissions and the high tech of it all.
The only thing I am not sure about is Autopilot. I am sure its a great feature but it should be an option. The mechatronics parts needed for autopilot (motors, solenoids, servos etc) add weight to the vehicle.

Having said that I understand Tesla are trying to stick to a single production platform per vehicle as much as possible and also trying to keep ahead of the industry in terms of technology.
Thinking out loud.
It is only an option. The hardware is installed in all Model 3s, you have to pay to have it enabled. Same as the Model S and X.

I own a 2010 Fusion Hybrid and a 2003 Acura EL, and when I bought the Fusion brand new in 2010, I really, really wanted my next car to be an electric, as excited as I was about just getting a hybrid.

Until 8 months ago I was considering a Ford electric, or Chevy as that next car, so to now realistically have it be a Tesla, is just so incredible. I was going to get an electric for environmental reasons, which is probably # 1 for me, but now I get this wicked kick ass electric that mops the floor with their competitors, it's just awesome!

Why did I order an electric car?

A very interesting question. I had absolutely no qualms about standing in line at a store to put a $1000 deposit on a car I'd never seen, or read a review about, or could even find any specs on. And I'm about the cheapest bastard in the world.

I don't currently own a hybrid or an EV - I drive a 5 year old Civic getting 32 MPG. I figured that I was getting nearly the mileage of a Prius, without the complexity of having both an engine and a motor. I'm not a died-in-the-wool environmentalist, though I do the easy environmentally conscious things consciously. I'm not into ultimate performance - buying a Mazda Miata and bolting on a turbocharger could scratch that itch.

I ordered one for multiple reasons. I am entranced by the magic that Elon Musk is creating with SpaceX and Tesla - though not so much by Solar City. The idealist in me wants to reward the risk-taking, the optimism, the desire to improve mankinds lot in life that he represents, along with the desire to do all those things WELL. The early adopter in me wanted to participate in what is inarguably the transformation from an oil-based transportation system to an electric one. The engineer in me wants a product built by people with a passion to make the best vehicle that they know how to make, even if they're a bit wet behind the ears. And the cheap bastard in me decided that $35K was a great entry point to all of this, when a $70K Model S wasn't.

I imagine a world without a Model 3. I'd never go buy a Model S because it's just too expensive for me. I'd love looking at them as they drove past, the same way I look at other $100K cars - a pretty thing meant for others to own. I'd look at the Bolt or I3 as ugly little cars that had interesting technology in them. I might consider a Volt or a Prius for my next car, as they have proven themselves reliable and as hybrids would get me from Phoenix to LA once or twice a year. But nothing out there would generate the enthusiasm, the excitement, that Tesla does.

And that's why I ordered an electric car.

Hi guys,

Thinking out loud.

We bought out first Tesla (a P85) to replace an Audi A7 that was getting up there in miles. The primary reason for the Tesla was that my wife has a horrible Bay Area commute and wanted to be able to use HOV lanes, but did want to drive a penalty box of a car. The Tesla looked nice and was comfortable enough. Without the HOV access, we wouldn't have bought the car.

We bought our second Tesla (P85D) because of the improved performance and the promised AP features.

While we use AP, it's turned out to be a lot less helpful than we expected. I like the P85D and I appreciate the way Tesla incorporates such smart technology and design in its products. I'm not really sold on the idea of EVs, though. Since my wife's commute is not nearly as bad as it used to be, if we were in the market for a new car today I doubt we'd buy a Tesla. The new Panamera, however, would be high on the list.

Why did I order an electric car?

A very interesting question. I had absolutely no qualms about standing in line at a store to put a $1000 deposit on a car I'd never seen, or read a review about, or could even find any specs on. And I'm about the cheapest bastard in the world.

I don't currently own a hybrid or an EV - I drive a 5 year old Civic getting 32 MPG. I figured that I was getting nearly the mileage of a Prius, without the complexity of having both an engine and a motor. I'm not a died-in-the-wool environmentalist, though I do the easy environmentally conscious things consciously. I'm not into ultimate performance - buying a Mazda Miata and bolting on a turbocharger could scratch that itch.

I ordered one for multiple reasons. I am entranced by the magic that Elon Musk is creating with SpaceX and Tesla - though not so much by Solar City. The idealist in me wants to reward the risk-taking, the optimism, the desire to improve mankinds lot in life that he represents, along with the desire to do all those things WELL. The early adopter in me wanted to participate in what is inarguably the transformation from an oil-based transportation system to an electric one. The engineer in me wants a product built by people with a passion to make the best vehicle that they know how to make, even if they're a bit wet behind the ears. And the cheap bastard in me decided that $35K was a great entry point to all of this, when a $70K Model S wasn't.

I imagine a world without a Model 3. I'd never go buy a Model S because it's just too expensive for me. I'd love looking at them as they drove past, the same way I look at other $100K cars - a pretty thing meant for others to own. I'd look at the Bolt or I3 as ugly little cars that had interesting technology in them. I might consider a Volt or a Prius for my next car, as they have proven themselves reliable and as hybrids would get me from Phoenix to LA once or twice a year. But nothing out there would generate the enthusiasm, the excitement, that Tesla does.

And that's why I ordered an electric car.

Great post! This is about 90% of how I feel as well, with the other 10% being the performance factor of the Teslas. They've taken an EV and actually made it into a performance car, distancing themselves from other offerings like the Leaf, Volt or Bolt. Not to say those three are bad, but they don't inspire me to want to own one like the Tesla does. It looks great and will have great performance at the same time.

I drove a friend's Model S in early March and that was the end of it. Next thing I know I'm standing in line at a Tesla store dropping a thousand bucks on something I've never seen and won't get for 2 years, and it all seemed perfectly rational. Still does. Bought a hat, that will have to hold me over 'til 2018 I guess.

Got burned in the VW dieselgate fiasco. Parked the car awaiting a buyback and bought a used Gen 1 Volt for next to nothing. Loving it so far, the perfect gap car until the Model 3 arrives.

I buy in to the vision and the company, and I sincerely want them to succeed, so a thousand dollar deposit seemed like a no-brainer.

Reactions: Red Sage
I'm not really sold on the idea of EVs, though.
Care to explain your concerns? I ask not with the intent to attack you, I simply want to know what you think. Since you own two Model S, you've spent a lot of money with Tesla yet you give the impression that you are not enthusiastic about the idea of driving pure electric. I consider that rather unusual: invested a lot of money in two BEVs but "not really sold on the idea of EVs".

In my mind, Tesla is the first company to build a "compelling" electric car. The thought of an electric car alone didn't really appeal to me. I had seen the Tesla website in 2013/14 and thought it was an okay looking car and good concept. I happened to be in the market for a luxury sedan and was weighing options when the "D" announcement came. I need AWD for my areas climate and my type of work so that sealed the deal. The 691hp 0-60 in 3.1 stuff was a super bonus too! Next-gen seats also was a big deciding factor for me. To top it off, the stigma of the car and Tesla was way better than some of the other luxury sedans. I get thumbs up all around and feel like I'm part of a bigger-picture movement which I support. This car is far less "douchbag" than a 7-series, s-class, or A8.

In summary, the Model S did everything for me and way more. Now I'm learning to love things about the car I didn't think I would... Such as the single-speed drivetrain, one-foot driving, autopilot, free road trips, etc.

The Model 3 is again the first lower-priced electric car that doesn't look like it belongs on a distant planet. It continually boggles my mind why so many automobile designers believe that just because a car doesn't rely on gas it should look like a Roy Rogers future-mobile!

The new Panamera, however, would be high on the list.
Porsche hit the nail on the head with the new Panamera! If I were buying again purely on looks/design/interior that would be at the top of my list too. I just can't go back to gas cars now that I've been spoiled with electric. Maybe an all-electric Panamera? (But it couldn't have an ICE engine in it for me)

Care to explain your concerns? I ask not with the intent to attack you, I simply want to know what you think. Since you own two Model S, you've spent a lot of money with Tesla yet you give the impression that you are not enthusiastic about the idea of driving pure electric. I consider that rather unusual: invested a lot of money in two BEVs but "not really sold on the idea of EVs".

Sure, I'm happy to explain. For the Bay Area, and probably Califonia generally, EVs are pretty easy to transition into. My issue is that as I get, er, closer to slowing down my work schedule, I'm heading out in directions that are fairly remote. For example, I have land in Montana that is not only off the grid, it's way over 100 miles from the nearest supercharger. I drive fast in this part of Montana and the range of my P85D suffers at 100+ (not as bad as an X, apparently, but it still drops the range well below 200 miles). The nearest town, about 20 miles from my land, has two gas stations and one main street and no EV infrastructure.

One of my other vehicles is a Ford F150. It has a 36 gallon fuel tank and I can drive it for days without need for refueling. At legal speeds, it has a 600+ mile range, and I am one of those people who can drive for hours without the need for a break (I prefer it that way). At 90 or so, it still gets 400+ miles on a tank.

So for my relatively unique situation, the EV isn't very workable all of the time, whereas an ICE is.

PLUS, I'm a bit of an old school car purist and while I truly appreciate the tech and performance of the P model Teslas, there's something about an ICE with a manual transmission that gives me satisfaction. I have a 9 year old VW Rabbit, a very basic 2.5 5 cylinder with a manual transmission, and even though it's nowhere near as quick/fast as the P85D, it just makes me smile when I rip through the gears, especially when roads get twisty.

EVs are absolutely the future and a good part of me will be happy when we stop burning things to power our vehicles and, instead, use sunshine, wind, nuclear reactions and other sources of energy. But I was raised on ICEs and I have a strong affection for the way they drive. When EV infrastructure is as prevalent as ICE, people will look back on people like me and wonder why we clung to our ICEs. It's just inertia, I think, but I can't deny it. In a generation or so, very few people will have my point of view, and that's probably a good thing.