Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you buy/order an electric car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do I own an EV? Realized lust.

I first saw the Tesla Roadster a number of years ago at an Earth Day event at work. A couple of folks from the SF Bay Area brought them to show off, and, well, what's not to love about them. Small, fast, sexy looking, environmentally sound, high tech, and positively unique. I had always driven a sports car, originally a Datsun 240 Z, then an Acura Integra GS-R after our second child made the Z's 2 seats impractical for family life.

Tab forward a few years. Kids are grown and on their own. Integra's getting old. Memories of Earth Days past come to mind. Browser search tab open looking at Roadsters. Too expensive. Wrong color. WAY too expensive. Wrong model. Wrong this and too much that. {sigh}

Then just before Christmas 2014, I hit the "refresh" button. Oh my, there is was. Discussed with the family (second guessing myself. Do I really want to spend that much money on a car?) Long story short, two weeks later it's in my garage.

It's a beautiful car, fun to drive, and I will admit, fun to watch others when they see it on the road. That it is all-electric is a strong plus, as I believe that we need to get off fossil fuels ASAP. That I can contribute to that objective, and have fun at the same time, is what clinched the deal for me.

I have land in Montana that is not only off the grid, it's way over 100 miles from the nearest supercharger. I drive fast in this part of Montana and the range of my P85D suffers at 100+ (not as bad as an X, apparently, but it still drops the range well below 200 miles). The nearest town, about 20 miles from my land, has two gas stations and one main street and no EV infrastructure.
One of my other vehicles is a Ford F150. It has a 36 gallon fuel tank and I can drive it for days without need for refueling. At legal speeds, it has a 600+ mile range, and I am one of those people who can drive for hours without the need for a break (I prefer it that way). At 90 or so, it still gets 400+ miles on a tank.

So for my relatively unique situation, the EV isn't very workable all of the time, whereas an ICE is.

The Model 3 has a lower drag coefficient so compared to the Model S it will do better at high speeds. Second you said it's over 100 mi from the nearest supercharger and yet you said your range is below 200 mi so looks like you're fine there. Also if your land has property on it then you might have electricity, if so your can always plug in. Heck you could even invest in solar panels out there.

If you live in San Francisco, have land in Montana, own a P85D, own a Ford F150, AND you're going to get a Model 3 then you aren't short on cash and solar panels are a no brainer. Heck, If you aren't out there very often then you could have a small solar installation and a couple Tesla powerwalls to store energy until your next visit. There's no need to wait for an EV infrastructure when you can do it yourself.

We (I) bought it for the AP. I had been researching AP systems for a year or so when I stumbled on the fact that Tesla has one which has included OTA updates. A friend of mine had a high end Mercedes coupe with their Distronic system and let me try it out. I was sold on the TACC alone from that experience. I was looking into the AP because I had predicted that there may be substantial changes in our commuting situation, which became true, sooner than I expected.

When I looked at options the 70D was comparable (after fed rebate) with MB E400, BMW 535xi, Audi A6 all with some variation of AP. Of those the MB was the closest in functionality. When we went to look at the cars (wife refused to consider Audi), Tesla's showroom and staff were the best and most accommodating (the other's weren't as helpful, to say the least). We didn't make an appointment to test drive as required on website, but they offered one to us that day when we visited. I was sold after the test drive. Wife agreed after the second test drive and playing around with AP (TACC only back then).

The EV, honestly, was an afterthought. However, now that we own a Tesla we love the convenience of plugging in to charge at home and having a full charge every morning. The no gas thing is a huge plus as the ICE I drive now (waiting to get rid of) loves to vent gas fumes when it gets hot into the garage; a real stinker.

My wife had to borrow my ICE the other day and couldn't "remember" how to get gas so left it pretty much empty for me to fill up, oh and left it running by accident, oh and left the car unlocked, etc...

I've driven the same Buick I bought new in 1992 for 24 years, but I'm getting to a point where I need to take more road trips to California (both work and family). In February 2015 I started researching cars as a replacement for the Buick. I thought my criteria should be easy to meet, but it turned out to be tough:

1) I have very long legs and broke my tailbone when I was a kid. If I drive on long roadtrips without enough leg room, I get shooting pains going down my legs. The last time we went on a roadtrip to CA it was with my SO's Impreza and I was in pain for a month after we got back. This pushes me into a larger car to start with.

2) I wanted at least 80% the cargo space of the Buick.

3) I wanted at least 30 mpg highway (about 20% more than the Buick).

4) I wanted at least equal acceleration with the Buick so I didn't have problems pulling onto the freeway.

I thought in almost 25 years of progress I should be able to find something that fit this criteria without too much difficulty. I was wrong.

I don't like SUVs and I think trucks are for a purpose, not every day driving. I wouldn't mind having a truck for periodic hauling needs, but I would only drive it when needed. I never considered any European luxury cars, I like some creature comforts, but the difference between a decently equipped Buick and a Mercedes is a waste IMO. My price target was in the $30k-$40K range.

On a whim I came across an article on the Model S and become intrigued. I thought about the Model 3 when I learned about it, but I needed the car before it will be available and I would never buy a car I couldn't sit in first. I don't know for sure the Model 3 will have enough legroom.

So I got upsold into a Model S. It cost way more than I was planning on paying, but it blew away my criteria in every category.

The Model 3 has a lower drag coefficient so compared to the Model S it will do better at high speeds. Second you said it's over 100 mi from the nearest supercharger and yet you said your range is below 200 mi so looks like you're fine there. Also if your land has property on it then you might have electricity, if so your can always plug in. Heck you could even invest in solar panels out there.

If you live in San Francisco, have land in Montana, own a P85D, own a Ford F150, AND you're going to get a Model 3 then you aren't short on cash and solar panels are a no brainer. Heck, If you aren't out there very often then you could have a small solar installation and a couple Tesla powerwalls to store energy until your next visit. There's no need to wait for an EV infrastructure when you can do it yourself.

I was asked why I said that I'm not really sold on the idea of EVs. I answered based on my own experiences and preferences. I didn't in any way purport that I was providing a blanket statement that applied to other people or situations.

With that said, here are my responses to your post. N.B.: I did not say I am buying a Model 3 and, in fact, I am not planning to buy one. The question posed by the OP was not limited to Model 3s.

I said the land is over 100 miles from the nearest supercharger. That doesn't mean 100 miles exactly. It means in excess of 100 miles exactly. So even assuming that I were to just drive the car from the Bozeman supercharger to the land and then turn around and drive back to Bozeman, even if I drove at speeds and in conditions that delivered the ideal rated range, I'd run out of charge before I got back to the Bozeman supercharger (the land is 130 miles from Bozeman, to be exact).

In reality, I have to deal with the fact that I'll be driving at speeds that don't deliver ideal rated range. Could I drive at 50 mph to squeeze out range? Sure, but see, I said that I am not sold on EVs, I didn't say that if you are willing to make extreme compromises you can make them work. Driving 50 mph on a road with an 80 mph speed limit where most people are driving closer to or above 100 mph is not an acceptable compromise for me. Then, add in the fact that the area is cold and gets lots of snow. That cuts into range. And it can get really windy. Again, range cut.

THEN, factor in the reality that when I go to the land, I'm not turning around immediately. The vampire drain is going to suck out x miles of range a day (I'm not sure what x is under these conditions, but it's not immaterial).THEN, add in the fact that when I'm at the land, I actually go places. For example, my land is about 20 miles from some excellent trout fishing. There's no charging anywhere nearby.

So I'm definitely not "fine there".

As for solar, what I have on the land is a log cabin. It's a very nice log cabin, but it's off the grid. No solar. No electricity. When I need heat, I burn wood. I have a small generator for things like lights and a cistern pump. And sure, I could put an expensive solar installation on the land, but the cost of that, and the upkeep (given that there are no solar contractors nearby and the conditions are pretty harsh on equipment) make it impractical. Could I find a way to fund a solar installation? Sure. But that's not something I want to waste my money on just so I can have an EV.

And that brings us back to my original point. I'm not sold on the idea of an EV. An ICE works far better for my needs, at lower cost. I'm not interested in making the extreme compromises needed to live with an EV for my situation.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
To accelerate the advent of sustainable transportation.

I did buy Powerball tickets back in 2005, with the expressed purpose of starting an electric car company (actually converting a military contractor to one) with the proceeds. No such luck.

Thank you kindly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Red Sage and msnow
My military service was a huge driver of my decision to go electric: As the CIA has publicly stated for years, 'groups hostile to the U.S. are funded primarily by oil revenues', so, driving an ICE was akin to me funding my adversary and supporting terrorism. I'm also, sympathetic to the innocent victims of our corrupt oil companies' influence in public policy in pursuing oil from nations abroad (Google "CIA TPAJAX" for more reading) and my consumer power to boycott their product is the strongest possible message I can send to the powers that be.
If the question were, "Why did you buy a Tesla" then I'd say, drive experience/performance, safety, auto pilot etc and last but not least, supporting competition in the automobile space since the majors were/are doing a deplorable job at bringing sustainable solutions to the market place.

Reactions: Red Sage and CliffG
Why bother? Why not put an inexpensive solar installation on the land?

Thank you kindly.

If you read the post I was responding to, the person suggested I install a solar system with a few Powerwalls. The cost of the equipment plus labor plus the other items needed (inverter, who knows what else) precludes the system from being inexpensive.

You're welcome, kindly.

I'm willing to support this no compromise EV company. I'm not granola by any stretch, i don't have a Prius or solar panels but I do believe for the good of society we should drive EVs when we can, which I also believe is the future of cars that and I think it's good to set an example (hopefully without being smug).

Reactions: Red Sage
Economics: Monopolies can be bad. The oil industry has almost a virtual monopoly on transportation in many countries. Those in CA, remember $5/gal gas? Remember feeling powerless?

For multi car families, one can now slant usage towards the cheaper fuel. And if electricity rates rise, you can put solar on the roof so you can effectively cap/reduce their rate increases.

If you read the post I was responding to, the person suggested I install a solar system with a few Powerwalls. The cost of the equipment plus labor plus the other items needed (inverter, who knows what else) precludes the system from being inexpensive.

I wasn't really addressing that post, just sounds like you have a good case for a small cheap solar system. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: JeffK