TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by aviators99, Jun 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

#541 182RG, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Plenty? You and I have a different definition. So I either move to MA, become a fireman, or open a body shop if I want a service manual? Nice!

• Like x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

#542 JeffK, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    The first responder stuff is here: First Responders | Tesla public and free.

The docs for typical end users are online search for "tesla owners manual".

In addition, according to Tesla is working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair their own cars with replacement parts
    a more widespread program is in the works.

In the meantime, there is nothing stopping a third party from providing a Tesla service guide.

3. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

As a native of MA, then a former VA resident, and then back to MA.......

the punishment for getting pulled over for speeding up here is way less archaic than it is in VA

4. 182RG

So in short, no service manual. Got it.

A first responder video isn't a service manual.

An owners manual isn't a service manual.

Tesla promises a lot of things that never materialize, so I wouldn't hold my breathe for consumer service manuals, a parts depot system, or a scan tool.

I'm guessing that Tesla, legally, or by simply not providing source data, would prevent an Ross-Tech or erWin or Elsawin or AllDataDIY from publishing one or ECU tools.

Torque specs? Procedures?

Pathetic.

• Like x 1
  5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Please read my original post I've never claimed you could get the service manual outside MA. Point is Tesla does have all sorts of documentation on various topics. Also we know they are working on a program so you simply have to be patient.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

So you don't believe the report that they're working to open things up? If not, will anything make you even slightly happier other than the actual release of the manuals? You're the first person I thought about when I heard about this (FWIW, not through the channels posted here). I assumed you'd at least tick up slightly from being such a service manual curmudgeon. :)

• Like x 4
  7. 182RG

No, given Tesla's track record of a lack of open, transparent communication.

t would be really simple to take the 'MA' only block off of the online service manual access. If written properly, it's a database config entry. That would be a good start. Reducing the usurious pricing of the online access to a level that shows they are not pricing to discourage use, would be a good second step.

I strongly agree with one of the commenters on the Electrek piece. Having service documentation for a product you purchased is a fundamental right. I purchase the service manuals (or online access) for a vehicle before I purchase. You may think that's pedantic, but I like to have a keen understanding before I hand over the check.

I purchase cars and keep them for 10 years. I pay cash. I expect to be able to maintain/replace/repair wear and tear items and perform routine maintenance myself. I am not a believer in prepaid service plans or extended warranties.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Without that program in place it would do you no good if you couldn't get the parts.

In the meantime, feel free to replace wear and tear items such as wiper blades, the tires, put a new battery in your key fob, replace the brake fluid. You can even go get your tires aligned or do it yourself if you want.

You do not need a service manual for any of these.

Look at the actual routine maintenance done by the service center:
    Service plans

• Informative x 1
  9. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

I'm not a Tesla car owner yet.

Does the service center sell these consumables/maintenance parts at reasonable prices? Or is it more like aftermarket where we can get these at reasonable cost but at great OEM quality? After reading the information on that page, it seems all these we can do ourselves except for the a/c and the wheel alignment and maybe the brake fluid and of course, the battery coolant replacement.

Surprised why brake fluid is to be replaced every two years instead of every three in regular ICE vehicles.
    I am thinking: wiper blades / refills, cabin air filters, brake pads and rotors and anything that is maintenance and not repair related.

My next car will really be an EV with so much fewer maintenance to do DIY. :)

10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I'm not yet an owner either so I can't tell you if the service center would sell you parts directly. That's probably what this new program is all about.

You can replace things with aftermarket parts example:
    Wiper blade options for Model S
    There are a large amount of aftermarket brake pads available as well.

I don't know about the air filters for the biohazard defense mode, you might have to get this from Tesla.
    I fully expect service center prices to go down for Model 3 related parts because parts are being mass produced unlike Model S. Higher volume will also allow service center prices to decrease since Tesla doesn't run the service centers for profit. Higher volume = spreading the cost to run the service centers.

• Helpful x 1
  11. 182RG

Gosh, I get to take care of those? Super! I can probably leave my Italian shoes on for most of that.

You're right @JeffK , a mechanical dummy like me should leave the "really hard stuff" to the non-profit SvC, that's booked out a month, and 70 miles from my house and office. What was I thinking......?

12. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I agree with your end goal. I always had a Chilton or OEM manual for my ICE cars. I just thought I might hear a slight, "hey this is a move in the right direction" kind of comment from you.

Given that you don't feel that way, I'd warn you that you'll probably be unhappy with the solution they likely implement.

• Like x 2
  13. 182RG

I like you @ohmman . Because of that, and to prove that I'm not 100% cynical....Hey, this is a move in the right direction.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  14. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I'm really interested as to what other routine maintenance on normal wear and tear items you'd need the service manual for in order to do yourself. I expect to be a future Tesla owner myself and maybe there's something I'm not thinking of that's considered "routine maintenance"

15. 182RG

12V battery replacement, battery coolant change, brake fluid flush, brake pads, rotors, struts, control arms, tie rod ends, CVs, etc. Simple things like fluid specs (yes, an EV has fluids), fastener torque values, fuse diagrams.

10 years, 150K - 200K miles is sure to generate a need for most of these items. If I swapped cars every 3 years, I would care less.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Speaking of the 12V, I really hope a solution is implemented for the Model S 12V battery replacement issue in the Model 3.

• Like x 1
  17. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

Suspension components I have no experience with and repairs could be costly but given time, won't many independent mechanics figure out how to fix EV's that don't have repair manuals?

Damn Japanese car makers are taking their sweet time with BEV products most of us will be forced into buying a Model 3, mainly to take advantage of government incentives.

Suspension components of Toyota/Honda/Nissan BEV should not be that much more expensive than on the ICE counterparts, right?

18. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

And... I'm done. Their communication has been very clear, since at least 2012, as I already showed you months ago: Tesla wants to protect themselves from certain 'risk factors' that would arise from third parties modifying or hacking their cars. That is a perfectly reasonable position given the widespread resistance to electric vehicles by the traditional automobile industry and the foul practices of the automotive repair industry that has grown up around it. Consumer protection bodies seem to exist solely to reign in their actions, because integrity and truthfulness is the lowest priority for their businesses. It isn't paranoia when they are really after you. And in Tesla's case they certainly are, and your vehemence on this subject matter makes me believe you are among them. Goodbye.

• Disagree x 1
  19. msnow

msnow Active Member

Are you referring to this?
    Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

20. 182RG

I'm glad you're done.

[​IMG]