Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the side-by-side S vs. 3 photo comparisons I have seen on TMC, I believe the front row headroom will be the same in both cars and the rear seat headroom will be better in the 3.

I think you will fit in a 3 with the sunroof or glass roof. Probably not with the standard metal roof.
There's intrinsic value (to me) of knowing - not based off internet hearsay or frame-by-frame analysis of prototypes. I know I fit in a Model S, I can afford it, I love the car so I bought it.

upload_2017-8-2_11-57-1.png

I went for the S. Thought about keeping my reservation but no key fob was the last straw. Too much of a weirdmobile for me.

These were my main disappointments:

• No glass roof as standard - I felt it was always implied this would be included
  • No key fob - I don't want to carry around a massive square swipe card in case my phone runs out - come on!
  • Continued secrecy over battery size
  • Still no UK price
  • Trunk access still compromised - if no glass roof then why no hatch?
  • No dash - I don't want to look to the side to see my speed or navigation instructions. Screen too cluttered to show everything like energy graph, turn instructions, speed, entertainment, etc.

View attachment 239238

I went for the S. Thought about keeping my reservation but no key fob was the last straw. Too much of a weirdmobile for me.

• No glass roof as standard - I felt it was always implied this would be included
  • No key fob - I don't want to carry around a massive square swipe card in case my phone runs out - come on!
  • Still no UK price
  • No dash - I don't want to look to the side to see my speed or navigation instructions. Screen too cluttered to show everything like energy graph, turn instructions, speed, entertainment, etc.
  • Glass roof wasn't implied... it was explicitly stated as an option since launch.
  • Massive card... you mean like the size of a credit card which you probably already carry?
  • Why does battery size matter when you know the range?
  • It's going to be a while for the UK why not determine it with exchange rates when the time is closer?
  • It's not a hatchback. Trunk access is not compromised.
  • You think the screen is too cluttered so you want more screens, with more info, and buttons? o_O
If you have the money then, yes, maybe a Model S is perfect for you. Congrats on the purchase! :D

The access is just like every other Sedan that has a trunk, there is no compromise. The rear will still have glass, the optional glass piece is the middle one, above the drivers head.

It's not a sedan shape though, is it? It's more of a Coupe and every Coupe I've has has had a hatch.

I'm sure it will be a perfect car for many but for me, it's just not a great fit and I was hoping for more.

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
View attachment 239238

I'm glad you're buying the Model S - you will enjoy it greatly.

You'd probably enjoy the 3 also, but it sounds like you want to make rationalizations for retrieving your $1000 deposit. Calling it a "weirdmobile" implies that Tesla didn't think through their innovations, and they won't be better than what you're used to. I'd bet you're on the wrong side of history here.

I think I would prefer not having a fob for my Model X. Depending on how it's done, of course.

It's a bit annoying to have to carry around a big fob. It would be much more convenient to have a card in my wallet, right next to my drivers licence. I always have my phone with me, so if the car automatically opens when I approach, that would be so much nicer. I'd never have to think about bringing the fob.

The big difference is opening doors/frunk/trunk from afar. This is very convenient from the fob, but not possible from the phone. If they could add this to the app, then the fob would be inferior.

I think I would prefer not having a fob for my Model X. Depending on how it's done, of course.

It's a bit annoying to have to carry around a big fob. It would be much more convenient to have a card in my wallet, right next to my drivers licence. I always have my phone with me, so if the car automatically opens when I approach, that would be so much nicer. I'd never have to think about bringing the fob.

The big difference is opening doors/frunk/trunk from afar. This is very convenient from the fob, but not possible from the phone. If they could add this to the app, then the fob would be inferior.
Can't you unlock the doors from the app?
app + bluetooth + card

I dont get the 'no fob' outrage. You carry a wallet of some sort, right? put the swipe card in there...it must be credit card sized.

View attachment 239238

• Still no UK price

Can't you unlock the doors from the app?
app + bluetooth + card
Currently the app can only unlock the car, you can't use it to open the frunk, trunk or doors. For instance, if you want to open the frunk and you don't have a fob, you would have to go into the car and open it from the touchscreen. This can be inconvenient if you just want to put some groceries in the frunk before squeezing into the car in a crowded parking lot.

(Yes, yes, #firstworldproblems. ;) )

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: rlang59
Currently the app can only unlock the car, you can't use it to open the frunk, trunk or doors. That means that without the fob, you would have to go into the car and open the frunk from the touchscreen. This can be inconvenient if you just want to put some groceries in the frunk before squeezing into the car in a crowded parking lot.

(Yes, yes, #firstworldproblems. ;) )
Perhaps they will add more features to the app then... depending on the version of bluetooth the car has, the range is significantly longer than the keyfob. I'm not sure why anyone would wish to open their trunk from 200 ft away, but hey if they add it to the app then at least you can.

View attachment 239238

• Still no UK price
Enjoy your S!

Dan

I'm not sure why anyone would wish to open their trunk from 200 ft away, but hey if they add it to the app then at least you can.

Easy: you're at someone's house and you left something in the trunk, so you send someone else out to get it. you don't have to give them a key or go out yourself. just unlock from your phone.
There's a use case for everything. ;);)

I dont get the 'no fob' outrage. You carry a wallet of some sort, right? put the swipe card in there...it must be credit card sized.

With the FOB, you leave it in your pocket and just walk up to the car and open, then start.....FOB remains in pocket. With the card, you have to take it out swipe, put down to start...it's not that much more convenient that old fashioned keys. For me it's a step way back in convenience. If given a choice, I'd rather have old fashioned keys than the keycard....that way when the 12VDC dies I can at least open and wait in the car for roadside assistance.

With the FOB, you leave it in your pocket and just walk up to the car and open, then start.....FOB remains in pocket. With the card, you have to take it out swipe, put down to start...it's not that much more convenient that old fashioned keys. For me it's a step way back in convenience. If given a choice, I'd rather have old fashioned keys than the keycard....that way when the 12VDC dies I can at least open and wait in the car for roadside assistance.
Why do you have to use the keycard at all if you have your phone on you?

What about if you're alone and go to the beach and want to surf? I have this problem with the MS too. Without any removable key portion on the fob, you're stuck not being able to lock the car because you can't go into the water with the key fob in your pocket.

Maybe this card is ok to be submerged in salt water? I don't know.

When I had my Volt, it was the same problem, the key fob has a metal key portion that flips out but it's not removable. So when I went to the beach, I was stuck with no way to lock the car.

Which is why the card is just a backup and you'd use your phone as the fob. No need to do anything just like with the fob.