Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one is asking for "certainty", after all these are all people who put up money for a produce they know they will not see for year or two.

What people are asking for is some honesty and transparency on where there order is in a list not when their car is being delivered.

Putting money up for an undefined product TWO YEARS OUT is a bit of a leap of faith. Tesla should certainly return that customer confidence with honesty and transparency. Tesla brags about that customer confidence and loyalty, even sells it to investors but does not return it.

All anyone is asking is for a simple fact. "Based upon the timing of your order, your order is number 193,233. Actual delivery date is subject to the terms of conditions noted in your deposit".
I 100% guarantee that people will ignore this part and then blame Tesla for it when their order way early in the list gets delivered (or called to configure) way later than some else late in the list. We have seen the same thing with the S/X handwringing.

Again, Tesla already said your order on the list does not determine your delivery time (or call to configure since you take issue with that in your comment) because there are other factors at play. By leaving that number out, it eliminates the possibility of false expectations and allows Tesla flexibility in changing plans in how they want do things (currently they definitely don't have to resources yet to tell things will play out).

Currently your sequence number is your date, time, and region that you put your order in. This is actually closer to how Tesla does their roll out (they do it in batches all at once, not one by one according to sequence number).

Reactions: Jaff
Hard to support an argument for hubris and disrespect of the customers.
I don't see how preventing vocal people from being upset is disrespecting customers. I feel that it's the opposite of disrepect and protects shareholders as well bad press from angry or anguished buyers who cry and moan about getting their car after someone else.

You drive a Prius and troll the Subaru forums too. Do you think Toyota or Subaru would tell you your exact order placement in a worldwide pre-order especially when deliveries are not in that same order? Oh wait, they don't have massive worldwide pre-orders... ok bad example.

Cell phones get pre-ordered, does Apple or Samsung tell users their exact order in the worldwide queue? No, not a chance.

Don't feel disrespected if what they're doing is a common practice and actually benefits stakeholders both customers and investors.

I don't see how preventing vocal people from being upset is disrespecting customers. I feel that it's the opposite of disrepect and protects shareholders as well bad press from angry or anguished buyers who cry and moan about getting their car after someone else.

You drive a Prius and troll the Subaru forums too. Do you think Toyota or Subaru would tell you your exact order placement in a worldwide pre-order especially when deliveries are not in that same order? Oh wait, they don't have massive worldwide pre-orders... ok bad example.

Cell phones get pre-ordered, does Apple or Samsung tell users their exact order in the worldwide queue? No, not a chance.

Don't feel disrespected if what they're doing is a common practice and actually benefits stakeholders both customers and investors.
Hmmm. Interesting. I didn't know Subaru had forums. Cool.

He's trolling those also? Hmmmmm

Again, no one is asking for delivery times.
Why do you want the number? The answer is obvious: because you want that to determine your approximate configuration time (I swapped that with "delivery time" since you seem to be taking issue with that phrasing). It is very obvious that is what people naturally expect when they see such a number.

So why doesn't Tesla tell people their sequence number. People paid $1,000 for it.
People paid $1000 to pre-order the car, not to get a sequence number. You completely ignored the points raise by others that it is very common to have pre-orders where you don't know your order in the line. All a pre-order ensures is that you get a product quicker than if you ordered after release.

Reactions: Jaff and JeffK
Then why did Tesla say those who came in person would get a better number? Tesla made a point out of it and then plays games with it. Simple honest and transparency.

"You were order No. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9...."

See that wasn't so bad was it.
Unfortunately, that's not how it works in real life and in the business world.

Tesla didn't say anything about a better number, but higher priority. Priority will be determined by employee status, previous owner status, regional location, and reservation order within that location. Then after you have access to the configuration tool, priority will also be adjusted for those who pick the higher options.

Your global reservation order has very little, if anything, to do with when you will configure or receive your car. Your regional reservation order number would be much more important as far as priority.

A global reservation order number is simply not relevant and would do more harm than good.

@EaglesPDX, I think you should try looking at this from a different perspective. The way I see it, you're digging in your heels on an issue that's maybe not as cut and dry as it seems on the surface. Imagine being a manufacturer of a very complex product. You rely on suppliers for all kinds of optional items for this product. You assume they'll deliver, but your experience shows that they probably won't deliver on time or as you want them to (please refer to S/X history for support here). Giving a sequence number is an indication of delivery order. Nothing more. The only reason anyone would want it is so they can try to guesstimate when they'd get their delivery.

The problem with this is that it sets expectations. There are many ways to imagine how limited deliveries from suppliers would twist up the build chain, and result in very disappointed customers. For reference, please review this forum for the signature S and X owners who took delivery after production vehicles. And this isn't a $1k investment - it was a $40k investment for 3 years running. Signature sets an expectation for earlier delivery. Sequence numbers do the same.

Tesla is making a change based on their experience. You've likely not been in their shoes, so your viewpoint is valid to your experience - but I suggest thinking about where they've been and what they want for their customers.

@EaglesPDX, I think you should try looking at this from a different perspective. The way I see it, you're digging in your heels on an issue that's maybe not as cut and dry as it seems on the surface. Imagine being a manufacturer of a very complex product. You rely on suppliers for all kinds of optional items for this product. You assume they'll deliver, but your experience shows that they probably won't deliver on time or as you want them to (please refer to S/X history for support here). Giving a sequence number is an indication of delivery order. Nothing more. The only reason anyone would want it is so they can try to guesstimate when they'd get their delivery.

The problem with this is that it sets expectations. There are many ways to imagine how limited deliveries from suppliers would twist up the build chain, and result in very disappointed customers. For reference, please review this forum for the signature S and X owners who took delivery after production vehicles. And this isn't a $1k investment - it was a $40k investment for 3 years running. Signature sets an expectation for earlier delivery. Sequence numbers do the same.

Tesla is making a change based on their experience. You've likely not been in their shoes, so your viewpoint is valid to your experience - but I suggest thinking about where they've been and what they want for their customers.
Mr ohmman---There was a MX lemon buyback today. As an MX owner - where are your sympathies? And- on this thread, you say refer to X problems. Care to share your expectations and disappointments and joys?

Mr ohmman---There was a MX lemon buyback today. As an MX owner - where are your sympathies? And- on this thread, you say refer to X problems. Care to share your expectations and disappointments and joys?
I'm not sure how this relates to the topic. We were talking about people canceling due to a number.

Plenty of X discussion on the X subforum (where I participate more). But as a quick aside - my wife took the S to the airport so I've been driving the X the last few days, and it's been loads of fun. Can't wait to get on our road trip soon.

@EaglesPDXThe only reason anyone would want it is so they can try to guesstimate when they'd get their delivery.

It's not about delivery time. Everyone knows that is far out there and subject to many variables, stated and unstated.

It's about a simple fact of where your order is in sequence when it was made.

A bit ironic that Musk was tweeting almost hourly as the orders came in, quite excited about the mounting numbers, yet does not return the favor to customers for their part in the endeavor.

• Disagree
It's not about delivery time. Everyone knows that is far out there and subject to many variables, stated and unstated.

A bit ironic that Musk was tweeting almost hourly as the orders came in, quite excited about the mounting numbers, yet does not return the favor to customers for their part in the endeavor.
What difference does a sequence number make when California is going to get theirs first?

Reactions: Tiberius

Why don't you answer any of my questions? You just seem to post derogatory statements about Tesla all of the time.

Do you really think you will be able to convince people to be pessimistic?

I actually experienced this with Ford. It was the same there was no indication of where my order was in line or when I would get my car. This isn't new to Tesla either...

I ordered a 2005 Mustang GT when the new body style first came out. It was in very huge demand. The problem is I ordered with an interior upgrade package that had some snafu that caused my car to be way late. I ordered my car in September of 2004 and didn't get it until June of 2005. People I knew who ordered after me were getting their car sooner than me because they didn't have the package. It was tremendously frustrating. The issue was I was really impatient and was on forums all the time while I was waiting for my car (hmmm I guess I haven't improved much). I imagine if Ford had published some kind of order in line number then it would have probably caused more people to be upset than just the crazy people who spent every day on a forum wondering where their car was at.

I am guessing that TMC is maybe 5 to maybe 10% of the audience for the model 3. While we would like to have our place in line if Tesla probably is smart to not release this info. It would potentially wake up people who wouldn't normally be concerned if they had a friend who ordered that had a higher number get their car first.

Reactions: JeffK