Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually very relevant since $7,500 Federal Tax credit ultimately depends on where someone is in the T3 order line and how Tesla honors that position.

No, you're mixing these things up.

The order of DELIVERY is relevant to the tax credit.

The order of RESERVATION is less relevant to the tax credit because, at best, it's a tertiary determinant of the order of delivery.

No, you're mixing these things up. The order of DELIVERY is relevant to the tax credit. The order of RESERVATION is less relevant to the tax credit because, at best, it's a tertiary determinant of the order of delivery.

According to Tesla the order of reservation determines the order of delivery...its a tertiary thing ya know.

But no one is looking for order of delivery now, simply what number we were in the 373,000 orders that made Tesla an business world star. We played our part. We paid our part. We deserve that courtesy.

I see no reason Tesla should give a reservation number. The number would be meaningless, and cause problems.

Tesla is going to batch deliveries based on:
Previous Tesla ownership

So, imagine they give out reservation numbers. A longtime Model S owner in CA buying a fully optioned car who reserved day 3 will certainly get their car before anyone ordering anything less optioned , or outside of CA, even if they ordered day 1 and had a sooner reservation number. Then people would get mad. Now it's not fair, Tesla doesn't care, reservation number means nothing! why'd they give it out if they aren't going to deliver in order, etc.

It is the right move to not give out sequence numbers. That will only lead to conflict.

If reservation sequence determines delivery, when would you expect someone in Australia to receive their Model 3, even if they were somehow the very first person in the world to make a Model 3 reservation?

Per Tesla's stated algorithm, after Tesla employees, after current Tesla owners, after US West Coast to East Coast after whatever other stipulations Tesla stated.

But no one is asking for those results now, just for where the Tesla customer's orders are in numeric order upon which everything else is based.

I see no reason Tesla should give a reservation number. The number would be meaningless, and cause problems.

I see quite a few good reasons and not providing it is causing quite an uproar already from cancellations to massive threads on Tesla forums and tech sites where people try and parse the reservations number to find their numeric sequence.

And then there's the pure ethics of it. Being honest and transparent with customers who showed confidence in Tesla to deliver the T3 years from now and put up $1,000 each to show they meant it. Any ethical business would reward such customer loyalty.

Per Tesla's stated algorithm, after Tesla employees, after current Tesla owners, after US West Coast to East Coast after whatever other stipulations Tesla stated.

But no one is asking for those results now, just for where the Tesla customer's orders are in numeric order upon which everything else is based.

So the very first person in the entire world to reserve a Model 3 wouldn't actually receive it until after hundreds of thousands of other people?

I see quite a few good reasons and not providing it is causing quite an uproar already from cancellations to massive threads on Tesla forums and tech sites where people try and parse the reservations number to find their numeric sequence.

And then there's the pure ethics of it. Being honest and transparent with customers who showed confidence in Tesla to deliver the T3 years from now and put up $1,000 each to show they meant it. Any ethical business would reward such customer loyalty.
I'm not seeing an uproar anywhere, except from your posts. I'm not seeing masses amounts of cancellations from a lack of knowledge of where they sit. If anything, Tesla's moving hard to get the cars out quicker than they originally planned, in order to make people happy. You're the only one I see complaining.

I don't think this is the car for you. You don't seem to like it, and you don't seem to like the way the company does things.

Maybe a Bolt would be a better fit for you. It'll be available at the end of this year, and it may have storage space more to your liking.

So the very first person in the entire world to reserve a Model 3 wouldn't actually receive it until after hundreds of thousands of other people?
I wouldn't say hundreds of thousands of people. As for the first person in the entire world, that is a nuanced question. Is that the first person as in the first Tesla or Space X employee, or the first person who spend days camping out in Australia? The Australian would definitely be later, since they have to retool the line for right hand drive cars, standards, etc.

I'm not seeing an uproar anywhere, except from your posts.

Its the most read and commented topic on this forum with all kinds of Illuminati conjuring to try and figure out what number is one's Tesla 3 order. We see tech mags from Wired to ArsTechnica telling people how to figure it out looking at raw HTML code in Tesla emails. Tesla changed the code in respnse. It is, understandably, a hot topic since the 400,000 Tesla 3 orders are such a hot topic.

See this is where your premise breaks down... the priorities are still regional. There may exist places where reservation number 1028 is delivered only a day before reservation number 45009. The numbers mean nothing at the moment and will mean even less after people start configuring their orders and putting down real deposits. I think your goal might be just to rile people up spouting nonsense about Tesla breaking promises or hiding things from you, which they're not.

Your exact reservation order is proprietary information, it means nothing to consumers, but could be used for marketing purposes by rival companies (if there ever are any real competitors).

Its the most read and commented topic on this forum with all kinds of Illuminati conjuring to try and figure out what number is one's Tesla 3 order. We see tech mags from Wired to ArsTechnica telling people how to figure it out looking at raw HTML code in Tesla emails. Tesla changed the code in respnse. It is, understandably, a hot topic since the 400,000 Tesla 3 orders are such a hot topic.

Yes, it is a hot topic but people are speculating and snooping through code for fun because they are excited, not because they have their pitchforks in their hands while cancelling their preorders if they aren't given a specific number.

Amazingly, on a thread asking "why-did-you-cancel-your model-3-reservation," I see almost no cancellations mentioned, but the thread has turned into a rant over the reservation number..

We do a lot of folks ranting over how Tesla should not give out the numbers.

As for the cancellation, the thread was started by an S owner who cancelled over the lack of transparency in the orders, something he had when he ordered his S and expected to have when he ordered his Tesla 3.

I guess Tesla doesn't want customers being excited or having fun.
This is exactly right. That's the exact reason that they choose not to host huge catered extremely expensive launches with live speeches and test drives. /sarcasm

But seriously, you're asking for a number that by your own admittance has negligible impact on your actual place in line. Why give out numbers for this supposed order list that mean less than jack all because it's impossible to factor in car optioning that hasn't been chosen yet, regional differences that likely haven't been decided yet, and ramp up speeds that aren't even close to certain yet. Do you legitimately just want the number so you can say "I was _____ in line for the Model ≡?" I'm serious about that question, it's not rhetorical. What purpose does that number serve at this point? How does knowing it increase the excitement when it's only one of (arbitrarily picking this next number) 7 possible factors in the delivery schedule? Or are you arguing that it should be the ONLY factor in the delivery schedule? I've been following this thread the whole time and I genuinely can't parse exactly what your argument is?