Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"I rather prefer the relative simplicity of a touch screen with nested menus to the potential alternative of dozens upon dozens or scores of buttons, switches, dials, and levers.

I applaud your willingness to share why you cancelled your reservation.

I've considered cancelling a time or twelve myself. I too am concerned about many items discussed on the couple of Tesla forums I participate in. But, the unknowns may turn out to be something I REALLY like. Ex: I wanted a CD player and was discouraged about having to learn a new way to play the music I wanted to listen to, among other issues. So, when the timing was good, I made a reservation at the nearest Tesla location to me and drove a Model S to see if it was as good as the hype I kept reading. I wanted a comfort factor in the company. You know what, the Model S was better than I expected, and the experience was better than any car dealer I have ever visited. Now, I don't care if I can't transport my personal copies of music, I can just select what I want to hear and there it is. It is an amazing car and I'm planning to wait it out. At bank rates, letting Tesla hold my $1000.00 until I configure and push the confirmation button will cost me less than $5.00/annually in lost interest. If I can't afford it when the time comes, so be it.

I wish the best for you and your family and truly hope you find joy in whatever you do going forward.

"

You don't need dozens or scores of buttons. You need a couple. Climate control, audio system, sunroof, windows, roof, locks, seat adjustments. I'd even be fine with manually adjusting seats. One less thing to break. All of these things can be adjusted without taking your eyes off the road. Nested menus are a great way to crash your car.

Just like you don't need all those levers to drive a car, you also don't need a screen in your face either, which is my biggest objection to tesla's approach. We are overloaded with digital information and it's frying our collective minds. I find driving to be a non-digital, real physical experience that I enjoy. An omnipresent screen obsessed with giving me information intrudes on that experience. The fact that you have to put it into "screen cleaning mode" to turn off the screen means the designers never even considered that people might not want a screen in their face at all times.

Just like putting people under constant surveillance changes the way they feel and act, so does putting them under a constant barrage of digital screens and information. Driving should be me, the steering wheel, the pedal, the seats, the suspension, the motor, the wheels, the tires, and the road. An always-on glowing screen in my peripheral detracts from that experience.

Not everyone wants the NEWEST and MOST ADVANCED whatever all the time. For every dork in line at apple store to get the newest iphone the day it comes out so they can feel accomplished, there's thousands who think that's silly. It seems like tesla's assumption is that if you want an electric car, you must also want bleeding edge unreliable technology involved in everything you do. That's why I'll probably cancel my reservation. I want to leave oil behind, but I don't want to start dealing with updating and troubleshooting my car's OS and adding one more screen to my screen-filled life.

Just out of curiosity, have you test driven an MS or MX? I've driven one a few times now between test drives and now having one in the family and have never had the touchscreen distract my vision while driving. Never noticed it at all. Also, all those controls you mention can be done from the steering wheel so no loss of road vision there. Likewise, you shouldn't need to mess with any nested settings while driving.

I cancelled mine unwillingly but our financial situation is not prepared for a +40.000 eur car (VAT included).

Furthermore, we needed a second car so I decided to cancel my reservation and get a second-hand Mitsubishi I-Miev. Maybe in 5-6 years, there is a second hand Model 3 that I can afford and I can get rid of my other and only gas-powered car.

I really wanted a Model 3 to support Tesla and have a great car but I won't be able to afford it in a long time.

I cancelled mine unwillingly but our financial situation is not prepared for a +40.000 eur car (VAT included).

Furthermore, we needed a second car so I decided to cancel my reservation and get a second-hand Mitsubishi I-Miev. Maybe in 5-6 years, there is a second hand Model 3 that I can afford and I can get rid of my other and only gas-powered car.

I really wanted a Model 3 to support Tesla and have a great car but I won't be able to afford it in a long time.

I liked your post because being financially responsible is certainly the correct priority to have.

I would love to see a 150mile range compact Tesla at a ~$22k USD price after the tax credits expire here. It could have minimal options and margin. Just get more people into an EV to really get the wave moving. Would make a great car for college grads that are more apt to buy EV and aren't in a financial situation to do it.

Reactions: Genshi
I liked your post because being financially responsible is certainly the correct priority to have.

I would love to see a 150mile range compact Tesla at a ~$22k USD price after the tax credits expire here. It could have minimal options and margin. Just get more people into an EV to really get the wave moving. Would make a great car for college grads that are more apt to buy EV and aren't in a financial situation to do it.

I think if that were to happen in anyway, it would be a licensing deal or partnership of some kind, where that vehicle wouldn't be called a Tesla. Elon seems to be of the mind that the brand needs to have a certain level of quality attached to it, and making the budget cars can be left to someone else.

He's out to prove that EVs don't have to look like the Bolt to be useful.

Reactions: Red Sage
I'm probably not going to use my reservation since I have gotten used to my 1 year old Model S size, comforts and unlimited SuperCharging. Real AP2 implementation is years away and by that time, I'll want newly added technology at that time.

Hate to cancel it because I'll likely be near the front of the line so I'll hang on to it until the Model 3 is test-drivable. I might change my mind.

I think if that were to happen in anyway, it would be a licensing deal or partnership of some kind, where that vehicle wouldn't be called a Tesla. Elon seems to be of the mind that the brand needs to have a certain level of quality attached to it, and making the budget cars can be left to someone else.

Don't lower the quality. Just make a compact version of the 3, put in a 30 or 40KwH battery which can still do 0-60 in ~6 seconds and sell it for ~$12k less. At battery and volume costs after the GF opens they could achieve that pricing. Keep in the autopilot option which is straight margin.

Isn't EM's goal actually to get everyone in an EV, not just the luxury market?

Don't lower the quality. Just make a compact version of the 3, put in a 30 or 40KwH battery which can still do 0-60 in ~6 seconds and sell it for ~$12k less. At battery and volume costs after the GF opens they could achieve that pricing. Keep in the autopilot option which is straight margin.

Elon's goal is to get everyone into EVs, but not everyone into a *Tesla* EV. At some point, Tesla's going to bow out and let the other large automaker handle the lower end of the market (do you seriously think Tesla will be building something targeting absolute lowest end like the Mirage, Versa, Spark etc?).

Elon did say he plans for Tesla to release another model cheaper than the Model 3, but I don't think Tesla will go below that. I'm guessing that more affordable model would be low-level premium akin to the 1-series, CLA, A3, Ct200h, ILX etc.
Elon Musk says Tesla’s next car will be even cheaper than the Model 3

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Elon did say he plans for Tesla to release another model cheaper than the Model 3, but I don't think Tesla will go below that. I'm guessing that more affordable model would be low-level premium akin to the 1-series, CLA, A3, Ct200h, ILX etc.
Elon seems to have recanted that in the Master Plan, Part Deux blog post. He says:

Elon Musk said:
A lower cost vehicle than the Model 3 is unlikely to be necessary, because of the third part of the plan described below.
And what that references is renting out the autonomous car for revenue on the Tesla network to offset the purchase price.

• Love
Elon's goal is to get everyone into EVs, but not everyone into a *Tesla* EV. At some point, Tesla's going to bow out and let the other large automaker handle the lower end of the market (do you seriously think Tesla will be building something targeting absolute lowest end like the Mirage, Versa, Spark etc?).

That's probably the case, I'm just wishing they wouldn't. If they are going to have the capacity to do 500,000 vehicles a year, they will saturate the market that can afford them very shortly. Why have the capacity to build that many if you price out most of the population? The 3 brings in a nice percentage of buyers, but nowhere near the $25k price point.

This has digressed from the main topic but it's in relation to why someone (and probably others) have cancelled.

That's probably the case, I'm just wishing they wouldn't. If they are going to have the capacity to do 500,000 vehicles a year, they will saturate the market that can afford them very shortly. Why have the capacity to build that many if you price out most of the population? The 3 brings in a nice percentage of buyers, but nowhere near the $25k price point.

This has digressed from the main topic but it's in relation to why someone (and probably others) have cancelled.
500k seems like a lot, but it really isn't considering that's worldwide production. That's the sales volume of the BMW 3-series. They don't need a cheaper model to hit that target.

A similar sentiment has been expressed by militant EV extremists for some time. That is, they argue that 'no one' needs a long range, high performance, large, expensive electric vehicle at all and that Tesla Motors is doing it all 'the wrong way'. I've been telling people for nearly three years that point of view misses the point entirely. Tesla exists to prove that the multitude of compromises that traditional automobile manufacturers has placed on electric vehicles in particular and fuel efficient vehicles in general are not necessary.

That attitude also turns a blind eye to the reality that more people in the U.S. and likely worldwide purchase used cars than new cars anyway. During 2015, there were 17,000,000+ new cars sold in the U.S. The same year, there were over 38,000,000 used cars sold. The new cars averaged over $31,000 each, while the used cars averaged about $18,000 each. Most major automobile manufacturers have already abandoned the sub-$15,000 price point, just as they abandoned the sub-$10,000 price point. I would not be surprised if they abandon the sub-$18,000 price point as well, within the next five-to-ten years, if not sooner.

I think it has been already been admitted to that effectively, Tesla intended to be a third party supplier to traditional automobile manufacturers. Tiny badges that read something like 'Powered by TESLA' or 'TESLA Inside' would have been seen alongside others that said something like 'LOTUS Tuned Suspension' or 'EDDIE BAUER Edition' or whatever. That would have been a good business model, and probably would have been recommended by plenty who are rather conservative or risk averse.

But the problem is that after projects for Daimler and Toyota were completed, neither of those companies wanted to use Tesla Motors to go beyond the compliance car stage to mass production. I think that from Elon Musk's perspective, the smart EV, Toyota RAV4 EV, and Mercedes-Benz B250e were all meant to be 'proof of concept' vehicles that showed that electric drive could be applied to something other than a sports car. To some extent, so was the Model S, in that it existed to prove how much better a car would be if designed from the ground up as fully electric from the outset, instead of being a conversion of an ICE design.

Correctomundo! Beautiful. Powerful. Desirable. Safe. Affordable. Compelling. ... Electric.

Cars have grown considerably in the past couple of decades. Vehicles that may have been traditionally thought of as 'Compact' are now Midsize instead. At 110 cubic feet of combined volume for Passengers and Cargo, a vehicle moves up from Compact to Midsize. Honda Civic (98+15), Hyundai Elantra (96+14), Kia Forte (96+15), Nissan Sentra (96+15), and Toyota Corolla (98+13) are all Midsize now.

But you know what? Many of the intended competitors ot Tesla Model ☰ are actually Compact cars: Acura TLX (93+14), AUDI A4 (92+13), BMW 3-Series (96+13), Cadillac ATS (91+10), Jaguar XE (91+10), Lexus IS (90+11), and Mercedes-Benz C-Class (90+13). I believe the Model ☰ will join the Alfa Romeo Giulia (100+12) and Infiniti Q50 (102+13) as Midsize. Likely because of the Frunk cargo capacity, but possibly due to passenger space as well, given the very cab-forward design.

Main point is that there is no need to specifically build a 'compact' Tesla, because the Model ☰ will already compete in that arena, and the 'cheap' cars from major manufacturers will eventually go up in price anyway. Sure, it would be AWESOME if Tesla were to eventually be able to offer a 100 kWh version of the Model ☰ for $35,000... and still release a 60 kWh version for only $27,500 to $31,500. But $22,000? Oh, [HECK] NO! Tesla isn't going to be able to offer an 'EV for everyone', only everyone that is willing to buy a new car. In about five-to-eight years from now, there should be enough Tesla vehicles on the road to start contributing to the second-hand and third hand used market. But it is highly unlikely that the Model ☰ will depreciate at the rate the BMW 3-Series does. Per Edmunds, a 2017 BMW 3-Series will lose $20,653 in value over five years. That's a car with a base price starting ~$10,000 more than a Toyota Camry (which only depreciates by $12,472 in five years).

The three best selling passenger cars worldwide are typically the Toyota Corolla, Volkswagen Golf, and Ford Focus. The Corolla is #1 each year, and is the largest of the three. There is absolutely no need to build a smaller vehicle, such as the Sub-Compact AUDI A3 (86+12), which sells to practically no one anywhere in the world. And even if Tesla did need to go smaller for some other reason, that doesn't change the fact those cars are all relatively fuel efficient. It is more important to replace gas guzzlers and gross polluters than it is to remove small cars from the world's roads.

The 'market' that the Model ☰ will compete against in the U.S. alone was around 420,000 vehicles sold in 2015 and quite a few more worldwide. Their sales are already dipping in anticipation of Model ☰ arriving next year. I expect their sales to erode further once it is available. Tesla will need to have a much larger worldwide Capacity to take on the most popular vehicles worldwide in a direct fashion. Toyota, General Motors, Volkswagen, and Ford can all manufacturer on the order of 10,000,000 vehicles per year worldwide. It may be 2020 to 2022 before Tesla can manage even 1,000,000 to 1,500,000 units per year. So they must be very careful with the market segments they choose to take on. Anyone who can actually afford a $25,000 new ICE car will certainly be able to afford a $35,000 Model ☰. Those who cannot afford one can certainly purchase a used EV from another manufacturer, and at less than the $18,000 average for preowned cars of all types.

I'm certain that some people will cancel once they realize the Tesla Model ☰ is considerably larger than the Chevrolet BOLT or Renault ZOE.

Cars have grown considerably in the past couple of decades. Vehicles that may have been traditionally thought of as 'Compact' are now Midsize instead. At 110 cubic feet of combined volume for Passengers and Cargo, a vehicle moves up from Compact to Midsize. Honda Civic (98+15), Hyundai Elantra (96+14), Kia Forte (96+15), Nissan Sentra (96+15), and Toyota Corolla (98+13) are all Midsize now.

Most likely because Americans themselves are growing larger at an alarming rate.....but I digress. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage and Genshi
Tesla got most things right with MS and no one else came even close. With Model 3, we already know it will be a class leader but IMO the key decider will be reliability and if they get that right, the car will sell like hotcakes. Get it wrong and it will all come tumbling down when half a million or more cars require regular repairs. I think they will pull it off but they will really have to play a very careful balancing act between the desire to add novel features vs simplicity.

Either way, a sub 35k car will not even be crossing the thoughts of EM and Tesla right now, way too many things on their plate at the moment.

Last edited:
Tesla got most things right with MS and no one else came even close. With Model 3, we already know it will be a class leader but IMO the key decider will be reliability and if they get that right, the car will sell like hotcakes. Get it wrong and it will all come tumbling down when half a million or more cars require regular repairs. I think they will pull it off but they will really have to play a very careful balancing act between the desire to add novel features vs simplicity.

Either way, a sub 35k car will not even be crossing the thoughts of EM and Tesla right now, way too many things on their plate at the moment.

Agreed. If anything at this point, the "killer feature" will be autonomous driving, and as long as the hardware is mounted and connected properly, any other fixes to it will be via software pushes.

The "novel features" for the 1st gen Model 3 will be software related to get them out the door more efficiently and with minor or no "re-work" required.

Most likely because Americans themselves are growing larger at an alarming rate.....but I digress. ;)
Big Buttified Americans have been complaining about a lack of... ~*ahem*~ 'shoulder room' in Midsize cars since circa 1978. If they had their way, no car would have less than 7'-6" of interior width. And they'd want to park them in garages with 7'-2" of clearance and would complain if they didn't fit. But, because Americans are also sorely afraid of mathematics, they can't quite figure out why their 36" wide wheelchairs won't fit through 24" wide doorways either.