Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

For those with a reservation, what was the reason you canceled your reservation?

• The reveal wasn't impressive

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Configured with options cost too much

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Delivery prediction too late

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Mode S/X used/new is a better choice for me

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Waiting for a Model Y

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Waiting for an EV from BMW/Porsche/Mercedes/Audi/VW or other company

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Don't want an EV without the expiring tax credit or other tax reason

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Need a hatchback / trunk volume too small

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Too expensive or lacking value

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Going back to ICE, have range anxiety, don't like new tech, or other EV-hater reasons

• Tesla sucks

• Other (please comment below)

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long did the refund take? Still waiting for mine.

Took 5 weeks for me. Got a check in the mail. Saddest check I ever deposited. I'm sure the 3 will be nice but my S is great and I'm actually enjoying it now instead of fretting about Tesla delays (which happen all the time!). God knows what the build quality will be. They just figured out how to build S cars and the Xs are starting to round out in form and consistency. It will take them a lot of time to get this right and now the EV tax credit is going down the tubes. Not ideal.

More confidence-inspiring news......from Automotive News

Tesla's head of battery engineering leaves

November 6, 2017 @ 4:07 pm
Aishwarya Venugopal
Reuters

Tesla Inc.'s director of battery engineering, Jon Wagner, has left the electric car manufacturer, according to his LinkedIn profile.

According to Wagner's LinkedIn page, he is launching a battery and powertrain startup in California. It's unclear when he left Tesla.

Wagner, who joined the company in January 2013, was involved in developing technology for all of Tesla's light vehicles, as well as the Powerwall, according to his profile.

Last week, Tesla pushed back its target for volume production of the new Model 3 sedan by about three months, saying it was difficult to predict how long it would take to fix production bottlenecks.

Tesla had also said that the main constraint was its battery module assembly line at its Nevada gigafactory, where the company had to redesign part of the manufacturing line.

Tesla and Wagner did not respond to requests for comment.

Contact Automotive News

4.5 years at Tesla. He's probably made a smart move for himself, There will be plenty of consulting opportunities to the major car brands to pick his brain about what he learnt in his time at Tesla. Might be a good thing overall for the pace of EV development. Maybe not so good for Tesla right now.

I agree that reduction of CO2 levels is the number 1 priority. But CO2 itself is not bad, its the fact that there's so many sources producing huge amounts of CO2 a day. Their diversification lies in the argument that there are other solutions to reducing CO2 levels besides EV's, and that includes hydrogen vehicles. You wouldn't be directly contributing to the emissions of CO2 if you drove a Mirai, and isn't that something we should be thankful for?

Hi Eva,

Both batteries and hydrogen are storage systems, but there does not appear to be any real debate that hydrogen is far less efficient. In fact, an analysis by Tony Seba concluded electric vehicles are 3-6 times more energy efficient than hydrogen vehicles.

HFCV-v-EV-Better-Place-Fig1.jpg

Toyota vs. Tesla - Can Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Vehicles Compete with Electric Vehicles? - Tony Seba

I think hydrogen suffers from many other problems but IMO the inefficiencies of the hydrogen fueling pathway doom it to failure. Toyota throwing its weight behind EVs as it did for hybrids would be much better for both Toyota and the world than diverting more resources to a dead-end that is unlikely to be of much use except some niche applications. That's my opinion anyway.

4.5 years at Tesla. He's probably made a smart move for himself, There will be plenty of consulting opportunities to the major car brands to pick his brain about what he learnt in his time at Tesla. Might be a good thing overall for the pace of EV development. Maybe not so good for Tesla right now.

What if the delay was his fault? At the very least, it happened on his watch. It seems the general consesus is because he’s the head, it must have been his choice to leave. Sure, he could’ve left on his own. But the timing is suspicious.

Reactions: EinSV
I guess I'm walking the other direction in this line of people.

Of course I'm in the REALLY LONG line, and I just got in the line.

My story is I bought a Model S back in 2015 to hold me over until the Model 3 was released. Over the course of these years I've really enjoyed the S despite it being the size of a spaceship.

I didn't bother reserving a Model 3 because I had plenty of time, and wanted to actually see what it turned out to be. But, now that some initial reviews are out it's extremely tempting. Especially if you look at it from a value perspective. I can also tell from the videos that Tesla addressed the primary complaints that people had with the S.

Well over 300 miles of range
An infotainment system that's responsive
What looks to be an improved HVAC system.
Fast charging.
A center console that's nifty.

What is it missing that I actually use? The steering wheel heater.

That's it.

I do like the AWD of the S, but I'm so far back in line that I'm sure the AWD version will be available.

Tesla is going to have to do something really cool with the S to get me to upgrade my S to another S at the current cost of the 75D.

I'm pretty convinced that it's going to be the car of the decade. I do want those in front of me to get out of the line, but I don't have any convincing argument for you to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
2 co-workers who lined up with me to reserve on day 1 but otherwise aren't devout Tesla fans like most folks on here just canceled. They thought elimination of the tax incentive was already a done deal (LOL), and snagging a "cheap" Tesla was their only objective.

So out of 7 of us who reserved, only 3 are left (1 cancelled to get a minivan a few months ago, 1 canceled the day after reserving because he's a bit of a flake, and 2 canceled due to a misunderstanding about tax reform).

Did you also get a check? Now worried because a check in US dollars is going to be a PITA for me, and probably cost $60 in fees, and doubly so if it gets delivered to the address I move out of next week!

Does anyone know if they are able to refund direct to the credit card that was charged for the deposit?
It’s too late for refunds to credit cards. The credit card companies won’t process them. Checks are it unless you were a recent reservation.

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
For those with a reservation, what was the reason you canceled your reservation?

So "Temporary Insanity" is not one of the buttons? And "I have a history of making poor life choices" isn't either? Or even "My spouse reserved two, and kindly opted to give me a freebie"!

I may need to start up my own poll to get to the truth...

RT

It’s too late for refunds to credit cards. The credit card companies won’t process them. Checks are it unless you were a recent reservation.

You'd think so, but I recently got a refund from Dyson for a robot vacuum cleaner I bought from them over a YEAR ago.

Which would have been awesome had I returned it, and requested the refund. Instead the money just popped into my account as a credit. I've been emailing them ever since trying to get them to reverse the refund.

This is a good reminder to email them again.