Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you purchase a Model 3 and what were your other options?

Before you decided on a Model 3, what comparable vehicle were you comparing to?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If possible, I would have bought a BEV Subaru Forester or Crosstrek. But, those don't exist. I tried to get a Volvo XC40 on their subscription plan, so each yearly upgrade would eventually get me into the upcoming BEV version, but the Volvo dealer experience with that was terrible. So, I figured I'd as close to a $35k model 3 as possible while waiting on the model Y or other BEV CUV offerings.

I ended up with a P3D+ w/EAP. No regrets :D

• Funny
Reactions: pipestem
Was going to replace my wife's 2006 Nissan Murano, Had placed a reservation for a Model 3 back in July and had started getting emails over a month ago that I could place an order but was going to let it go since I was already planning on doing overseas delivery of a 2018 Volvo XC40 with Polestar option. Volvo's overseas delivery allocation of XC40s was used up for 2018 and had to wait for 2019 to become available. Heard that full federal tax rebate was running out in 2018 so stopped into Tesla the Saturday before New Year and three days later I picked the new car up on 12/31. Got a LR RWD without EAP which after the federal tax rebate costs about the same as what I would've spent on the XC40. Kept the Murano since it's still running (unlike my other cars :).

Reactions: Dre78
I shopped fast accelerating cars that can seat 5 at or under $50,000. I optioned all of them up and compared.

American sports cars were close in price but not comparable safety features nor cost to own.
European cars were slower with similar safety features and more expensive to purchase and own. Or, as fast and more expensive.
The only one that I seriously considered was from Subaru. I felt is was the only true comparison since it had the most similar features, size, price and level of “luxury.” I don’t believe the Model 3 has everything to be in the exact same category as European cars. Unfortunately it either came with a slower CVT and similar safety features or similar acceleration and few safety features. Both versions were more expensive to purchase after incentives and would cost more to own.

"Other" because I wasn't going to buy my next car until Model 3 was available. I was simply nursing along the existing fleet of family vehicles until Model 3 came into my life, at which time I gave our 2000 Ford Expedition to a dear friend who loves owning/working on that vintage of Ford SUV. Had Model 3 not yet arrived, I'd still be nursing along the then-existing family motorpool, waiting for Elon and his team to get me my Model 3.

In short, I wanted an affordable long range EV.
There is no substitute on the planet at present.

Interesting others posted the Macan as another choice... we were really close to picking one of those up also but luckily decided to wait for the Model 3 :)

I ended up just adding it to the stable (our 5th car :-x) and didn't cross shop anything else. What, we had over 2 years to plan for it!

I wasn't really shopping for one TBH. I was in the middle of an Infiniti Q50 Sport lease. My roommate picked up his Model 3P in Oct, so I started looking around at my options as I wanted to take the full tax credit. Did some math and determined that the Model 3 would actually SAVE me about $20/month considering I was putting $55 of gas in the Q50 every month (insurance is also cheaper on the Tesla).

Lost about $500 selling the Infiniti/overlap with the Tesla on insurance for about a week or two, so not a big deal. Much happier with the M3, and unlike the lease, maybe one day I won't have a car payment, or maybe even some equity in a few years.

I almost considered a Mazda 6 because I'm cheap deep down inside and liked the idea of using some of that savings to travel, but figured I'd get more enjoyment out of the Tesla everyday than a few days of travel.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Being a Model S family already (after owning both a Toyota Avalon and a Camry and before that we were owners of Hondas--both of us had Accord LXs and I had 2 Civics prior), the only car purchase for us for our second car was either another Model S or the Model 3. Spoiled by the Model S and couldn't see buying anything else but another Tesla.

At one time I think we had thought about a Benz (for safety in accidents) or a Porsche (always liked their styling) but after riding in a co-worker's Model S one day, my husband decided he loved the Model S and it would be his next car.

Similarly after being in our new MS I couldn't picture myself in anything else in spite of the minimal interior look. Going from the MS to the Model 3 was even a bigger step to minimalism that I wasn't initiallly sure about. As I got older I thought I'd always want a more "cushier" vehicle with all kinds of extras but surprisingly I didn't. I now find most all of the cars out there are too cluttered and not appealing. And I totally love being in and driving my Model 3.

Last edited:
After I decided I could not wait until 2020 for the Model Y, my choice was between the Model 3 and another Suburu SUV (2019 Forester).

"Other" because I wasn't going to buy my next car until Model 3 was available. I was simply nursing along the existing fleet of family vehicles until Model 3 came into my life, at which time I gave our 2000 Ford Expedition to a dear friend who loves owning/working on that vintage of Ford SUV. Had Model 3 not yet arrived, I'd still be nursing along the then-existing family motorpool, waiting for Elon and his team to get me my Model 3.

In short, I wanted an affordable long range EV.
There is no substitute on the planet at present.

So both of you are coming out of SUV's. This is what interests me most.

I'm currently in a Cadillac XT5. Great SUV, very very happy with it, fun to drive and classy. But it's not electric.

So - for those SUV-to-Model-3 converts... how cramped do you feel? Do you miss the high-up commanding view of the road?

Those are my two biggest concerns... for hauling "stuff", we have my wife's Buick Enclave. So I'm less concerned about the Home Depot and Costco shopping runs than maybe I should be ... but I guess I should ask - have those been an issue?

Model Y will be where it's at for me... what I'd love to do is lease a Model 3 for 2-3 years until the Y hits the market.... so let's see if Elon plays ball once the Y is announced and lets knuckleheads like me do a lease. :)

So both of you are coming out of SUV's. This is what interests me most.

I'm currently in a Cadillac XT5. Great SUV, very very happy with it, fun to drive and classy. But it's not electric.

So - for those SUV-to-Model-3 converts... how cramped do you feel? Do you miss the high-up commanding view of the road?

Those are my two biggest concerns... for hauling "stuff", we have my wife's Buick Enclave. So I'm less concerned about the Home Depot and Costco shopping runs than maybe I should be ... but I guess I should ask - have those been an issue?

Model Y will be where it's at for me... what I'd love to do is lease a Model 3 for 2-3 years until the Y hits the market.... so let's see if Elon plays ball once the Y is announced and lets knuckleheads like me do a lease. :)
By proxy, yes, I came out of an SUV...my wife did actually. Son was driving the Expedition as a college kid. He graduated and we handed down wife's Lexus RX SUV (and retired the 18yr old Expedition) which I'm assuming is ~same class as your Caddy SUV. Wife/me now share Model 3 and the existing LEAF. I REALLY expected my wife to complain about the lack of height/visibility without the RX around her, but thus far I guess all of the other good stuff about the Model 3 has outweighed that former priority. It will creep back into our dialogue soon though, I'm sure, at which point I will just ask her to "tolerate" Model 3 until Model Y arrives. (We plan to either sunset the LEAF once Model Y is in the garage, or keep the LEAF and sell the Model 3 to our son for it's by-then much lower FMV.)

I think Tesla is going to have to open up US leases of Model 3 sometime this year, assuming the cash flows from doing so are better than selling $35k SRs in volume at that time. I just don't see enough remaining purchase demand for the AWD offerings to absorb all of the production volume, as it won't take but maybe half the year to satiate the pent-up EU purchase demand for these models and the US demand has obviously been sated already. A key decision for Tesla when they do open up leasing is what duration leases to offer, to avoid a flooded market of used Model 3s down the line. 24s/36/39s/42s/48s maybe even?? So many interesting demand levers yet to be pulled.

Reactions: dmurphy
By proxy, yes, I came out of an SUV...my wife did actually. Son was driving the Expedition as a college kid. He graduated and we handed down wife's Lexus RX SUV (and retired the 18yr old Expedition) which I'm assuming is ~same class as your Caddy SUV. Wife/me now share Model 3 and the existing LEAF. I REALLY expected my wife to complain about the lack of height/visibility without the RX around her, but thus far I guess all of the other good stuff about the Model 3 has outweighed that former priority. It will creep back into our dialogue soon though, I'm sure, at which point I will just ask her to "tolerate" Model 3 until Model Y arrives. (We plan to either sunset the LEAF once Model Y is in the garage, or keep the LEAF and sell the Model 3 to our son for it's by-then much lower FMV.)

I think Tesla is going to have to open up US leases of Model 3 sometime this year, assuming the cash flows from doing so are better than selling $35k SRs in volume at that time. I just don't see enough remaining purchase demand for the AWD offerings to absorb all of the production volume, as it won't take but maybe half the year to satiate the pent-up EU purchase demand for these models and the US demand has obviously been sated already. A key decision for Tesla when they do open up leasing is what duration leases to offer, to avoid a flooded market of used Model 3s down the line. 24s/36/39s/42s/48s maybe even?? So many interesting demand levers yet to be pulled.

Great insight, thanks! Glad to hear your wife isn’t missing the RX. The RX and the Caddy XT5 are pretty close in size - they’re usually #1 and #2 on the “lux midsize SUV” list, so I’d say they’re directly relatable. I would think the massive glass and short/low nose on the Model 3 would help make the Model 3 feel higher than it is ... but I’m just going to have to drive one to find out (I’ve only been on a Model X test drive - and that’s a stunner, but a non-starter for us.). Given that we also have the big Enclave, I “think” we’re covered from the stuff-hauling perspective - but my wife still thinks I’d be unhappy in a Model 3. I’m genuinely not sure - does Tesla do overnight test drives? I’d love to take a Model 3 home for 24 hours and see how it fits our life.

I do agree; I think US leasing will open up this year. With a little luck, it’ll be before end of June. Since my Cadillac lease is up beginning of October, the $1875 in tax incentive that evaporates June 30th would basically make pulling the trigger by end of June a wash, IF leasing opens up. If they don’t open the leasing, then I’m just going to go back for another Cadillac lease. There’s some financial incentive to stay Cadillac (lease end fee waiver, pull-ahead program etc)... not interested in a long-term purchase right now.

36-39mos will be the sweet spot on a lease for me ... that should get me through until Model Y’s are actually available.

There are plenty of levers to be pulled, and at least for my particular case, leasing is the big one. Either way, I’m planning to put a reservation in for a Model Y - but can I live with a Model 3, or should I stick with the XT5 until then? That’s the big question. (Oh, and if I do lease, it’d be for the AWD, LR edition. That’s the sweet spot in my book.)

One other question for you — you mentioned selling the Model 3 to your son once you have a Y, and keeping the LEAF... why keep the LEAF and not the Model 3? Just curious what the decision factor is there!

Thanks for listening. Appreciate the insight for sure!

Great insight, thanks! Glad to hear your wife isn’t missing the RX. The RX and the Caddy XT5 are pretty close in size - they’re usually #1 and #2 on the “lux midsize SUV” list, so I’d say they’re directly relatable. I would think the massive glass and short/low nose on the Model 3 would help make the Model 3 feel higher than it is ... but I’m just going to have to drive one to find out (I’ve only been on a Model X test drive - and that’s a stunner, but a non-starter for us.). Given that we also have the big Enclave, I “think” we’re covered from the stuff-hauling perspective - but my wife still thinks I’d be unhappy in a Model 3. I’m genuinely not sure - does Tesla do overnight test drives? I’d love to take a Model 3 home for 24 hours and see how it fits our life.

I do agree; I think US leasing will open up this year. With a little luck, it’ll be before end of June. Since my Cadillac lease is up beginning of October, the $1875 in tax incentive that evaporates June 30th would basically make pulling the trigger by end of June a wash, IF leasing opens up. If they don’t open the leasing, then I’m just going to go back for another Cadillac lease. There’s some financial incentive to stay Cadillac (lease end fee waiver, pull-ahead program etc)... not interested in a long-term purchase right now.

36-39mos will be the sweet spot on a lease for me ... that should get me through until Model Y’s are actually available.

There are plenty of levers to be pulled, and at least for my particular case, leasing is the big one. Either way, I’m planning to put a reservation in for a Model Y - but can I live with a Model 3, or should I stick with the XT5 until then? That’s the big question. (Oh, and if I do lease, it’d be for the AWD, LR edition. That’s the sweet spot in my book.)

One other question for you — you mentioned selling the Model 3 to your son once you have a Y, and keeping the LEAF... why keep the LEAF and not the Model 3? Just curious what the decision factor is there!

Thanks for listening. Appreciate the insight for sure!
Currently, Elon is "solving" the test drive question by making all Model 3 sales refundable within three days if you've not had a test drive. In fact I believe S/X also have the same approach currently.

Being "sedan-low" is definitely not preferable to "SUV-high" for me, either, but I sacrifice it to be all-electric right now. I just increase my following distances vs how I drive an SUV, based on reduced sightlines.

If the 3 doesn't suit you, then I'd just do the Caddy lease one more time. That will give Tesla time to get lots of the kinks worked out of the Y by the time your next Caddy lease matures.

I'd sell my 3 to my son, over keeping it and retiring my LEAF, for two reasons: if he's ready to get rid of the RX by then due to its age combined with a reasonable (by then) market value for the 3, he's better off buying a known quantity 3 from me than trying his luck in the used car market generally. And, I'm not a fan of owning Too Much Vehicle as my wife and I will be empty-nesters in a few more months and so having one nice, LR EV is all we really need. Even having a second EV, such as our SR LEAF, is a luxury in some respects since we both work from home most of the time and well, Uber is ready when we are for the gaps that a one-car household would invariably create. Having one old car is also nice in that it means our two big dogs NEVER step foot in the Tesla. I love our dogs, just not that much. They can trash the LEAF at will; it's fully depreciated. My final reason to keep the LEAF is just the science project curiosity of how many years will that damn thing last?! I already got 18+ from my 2000 Ford ICE, so I suspect the LEAF will be cruising along happily at ~25+?? It currently drives the exact same as it did the day I bought it 7.1 years ago, which is more than I can say for how my Ford was behaving when it was 7.1 years old.

Reactions: abasile
I was driving around my dumpy '09 Civic Si sedan when I started to learn about Tesla. I couldn't afford the Model S or X, so it was an academic interest. Then, the Model 3 was announced and I quickly reserved one. I really didn't have any other car that I wanted as they were all kind of the same thing refresh after refresh. The Model 3 was perfect.

I had a 16 year old Ford Crown Vic with no incentive to replace it until I saw the M3 as a real entry into the future of driving. That was when I put my $1000 deposit and waited one year for delivery. Any other EV in 2017 was just ICE mentality for a car with a jury rigged battery assembly for a BEV. Tesla showed us a vision of what the future is now and the potential for later. Besides the innovative engineering in the M3 and the continual software updates, do you know how amazing to go on line and select your car with clearly priced options? No haggling at a dealer with reams of forms to fill out? Great.

The Model 3 was going to be for my husband, and he bought a used Leaf to tide him over until it was ready. I started stealing the Leaf every chance I got and became convinced I needed to ditch my ICE-UV for an EV. I started making a list of all the EVs available at the time, pros and cons, and it came down to waiting for the promised 250-mile Leaf (why isn't Nissan getting as much flack for that not appearing as Tesla is over the $35k Model 3?), buying a used Model S, or waiting for the 3. Tesla's charging network won me over, and I decided the S was really too big for me. My husband encouraged me to take his reservation because he was happy with the Leaf.

Of course, you can guess how the story ends. I get the 3 and four months later the Leaf is no longer acceptable. We're now a two-Model-3 family. :D

Reactions: abasile
An EV has always been of interest. When the Model 3 was introduced I finally found a car to suit all of my requirements. It is the right size, right price, quick, fun to drive and by the way is an EV. Other cars considered while waiting were the Kia Stinger and Alfa Romeo Giulia,
I could not be happier!!!

Having grown up in Southern California, I totally understand the need for control. Doubtful I would want the Model 3 if we lived in California.

Why would you not want one if you lived in CA? You do know that about half of US Model 3's are in CA, right?

I came from an S4, but was not really in the market. A couple friends got one and kept raving about it. Figured if I was ever to own a Tesla, it would be now before the tax incentives were reduced/gone. That was the biggest factor in getting it now, rather than later or waiting for the $35k model. Also looked at Volvo XC60 T8, V60 T8 and hoping for a Macan hybrid.

Nothing, really. Waited in line for a reservation so we'd have the option when the time came to replace my wife's 08 Subaru Impreza, and give her carpool access since she had the longer commute.

We were planning on getting the SR if we bought anything.

Well, as our reservation time got close, she wasn't particularly interested in paying to replace her 170k mile car, we didn't really consider other EVs though we did test drive an i3 just for fun. The bolt was the only real competitor but we weren't looking.

I didn't feel like buying another car, I liked driving my 2016 6MT Golf R and sure wasn't going to buy another new car even though I sorta wanted an excuse to buy a Tesla and be part of the revolution.

Then, the stars aligned. My company got bought, which meant my commute changed from 6mi by bike to 20mi by car-- the exact same commute as my wife. Suddenly we were carpool buddies, and it made more sense than ever to get a 'new' car for 'her' commute, and it would be the first car we ever shared. Realized we were gonna want premium anyway so it was the difference between a 40k car and a 49k car, not 35k vs 49k. And the tax incentives would cover most of the 9. And having the LR version meant it could be a roadtrip car too; spending 20 or 30k for an EV commuter that can ONLY be a commuter seems like more of a waste than buying a full on do-it-all nice car.

Sold the golf, bought the 3, really happy with it.

WWe had a BMW Z4[my toy], and a i3. The i3 may be the BEST Urban car ever, but we had driven the S and the X, which we felt was just too long, just more car than we wanted. Wife has said that she would only drive an electric. The lease was up on the i3 and in late Oct. Tesla called us as said they had cars.WE ended up with a white RWD long range which is perfect for us. Wife still would have liked a car 16" shoorter, but loves this she just parks a mile away from other cars.Power is not a problem as we have 60 solar panels on the roof since 2010. In los Angeles this is the perfect car, no cold battery problems, RWD is go for us as we no longer go up to the snow. Wife likes the trunk, which is used. The Frunk is never used, two reasons, one when we are putting in bags you are almost always in back, and two it's harder to close. I think it's a great idea for a trip though. For us the storage room in the Frunk and trunks are more than enough.
It's funny after the M3 I had a S as a loner, yes it's a bit more powerful but it is BIG, but it felt cluttered up with knobs,etc.