TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why didn't Elon show off Model 3 features on stage?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by DrivingTheFuture, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DrivingTheFuture

Coat hooks, cup holders Galore, new scroll wheel controls, beautiful display, intuitive UI, inductive wireless phone charging dock...

I noticed some of these amazing features and more on my test ride, in your opinion why do you think they kept it short on stage?

2. Flekoun

Flekoun Member

Because of what you just wrote. Tesla does not want to sell more TM3. They have more than enough reservations. Why to get more reservations by bragging about TM3 features and get less sales of S and X? Why to show cool features of TM3 that even S and X does not have? What it the point? In my opinion event the release dates for TM3 are purposely pushed back (Europe in early 2019 etc.), they want so send message to everyone : " DO NOT WAIT FOR TM3, BUY S AND X ASAP! ". Obviously S and X interior is now obsolete and inferior to TM3, why did not Elon brag about how much better the TM3 interior is compared to S and X? Result would be just more reservations of TM3 and less sales of S and X, Tesla could only loose.

• Like x 1
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Exactly. In fact, I was shocked he didn't announce that the S and X were getting some new feature (or maybe that's Monday, lol) to push them. Many of us have been waiting for 'reveal part 3' to see if any new tech was announced on the 3 that would then appear on the S and X.

Does the UI count? Like the ventilation controls, which are cool? The rumored internal refresh... announce something more than the PUP that has every option and the upholstery, so we aren't waiting for the next big thing. :D

Obviously, with over 500,000 reservations, they do not need more people lined up to wait until 2019. Good grief. Those of that care (everyone here) will find out through YouTube and TMC.

4. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

The earnings call on Wednesday should be one of the more interesting ones.........

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  5. boaterva

Oh, brother, yeah, sign me up... :D. The Q and A should be great!

Usual 5:30 EDT on August 2, for those that want to listen. Ir.tesla.com

• Like x 2
  6. DrivingTheFuture

Yeah I don't think I've missed a call since 2015 lol

7. eloder

eloder Active Member

There were a number of features not present on the S/X, which is probably a big reason for not advertising it.

8. boaterva

Which gets us to, why not and when do they get them and how.... :D

9. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

In my opinion.....Tesla always wants a waiting list for their cars. They can't make too many or else they reach saturation and that won't be pretty for stock holders. I believe they might be close to saturation concerning the Model S.

10. TacC

TacC Member

Out of curiosity, can someone please tell me who is forcing Tesla to make the Model 3?

I keep reading about how Tesla doesn't want anyone to buy a Model 3 and that's why they're downplaying its features and hyping up the S and X.

It seems to me that if Tesla didn't want anyone to buy a Model 3 they could do that by making a terrible car or just not selling it at all.

So I ask, who is forcing Tesla to make the Model 3?

Perhaps they're just trying to be honest with their customers and keep expectations in line. Perhaps they've seen all of the threads on here about the millions of ways that the 3 will be better than the S. And perhaps they're trying to sell the right car to the right person, rather than selling a 3 to someone who thinks they're buying an S.

11. Garlan Garner

Tesla has over a years backlog of Model 3's. My best guess is that they don't want the line to be over a year long. I think its just that simple.

12. electracity

electracity Active Member

Tesla could have over two years of backlog. The online estimates on the order page could easily be six months too optimistic, especially for people lower in the queue.

13. number12

number12 Active Member

Most of those things are not in the model S. Model S is profitable. Hmm

14. Garlan Garner

N
    I don't understand what you are saying.

Elon has recently stated that the reservation list is hovering around 500K. At 10K per week ( entering 2018) they would clear almost 500K in 2018. If I remember correctly they will make over 10K per week some time in 2018.

• Like x 1
  15. Garlan Garner

Most of what things?

16. eloder

eloder Active Member

#16 eloder, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    The Model 3 will eventually make up the bulk of their revenue, and probably the majority of their profits too.

However, that is not true until the ramp progresses sufficiently. When they're pumping out 20k Model 3's a month, I imagine they won't have any qualms about osborning the S and X.

Though they are anti-selling the 3, there are a LOT of little things that really should be built into the S and X ASAP. A touchscreen that's as responsive as modern-day tablets, superior air vent system*, superior rear air vent power*, much more center console storage space, built-in wireless chargers, additional cabin storage space not present on S, and there's probably a few other things I'm missing here.

As you can notice, you don't see many S and X owners complaining about how aspects of their entry-level $35k car out-class their $75k+ cars. Had Elon presented everything front and center on-stage, things could very well turn south during the ramp (for S and X revenue).

*subjective based on what I heard/saw from several test ride reviewers

• Informative x 1
  17. sweter

sweter New Member

It's not that they don't want anyone to buy the Model 3. They want millions of people to buy the Model 3. But for the next 2 years they wanna avoid telling people they have to wait 1+ year for delivery and they wanna continue selling Model S. Once Model 3 reaches max production ramp and goes through the backlog my guess is that they are gonna start pushing it really hard. Selling 100k Model S/X a year might be much much easier than selling 500k Model 3 a year in 2020.

18. Brando

Brando Member

Model S has about 1/4 to 1/3 of the luxury car (~$100,000) market niche.
    Every day they make them the variable costs are distributed over more units (i.e. costs go down, margins up)

Model X market share? don't know the details. but no doubt will be similar in 4th year of production.

Goal for Model 3 is 40,000 per month by end of 2018.
    (note: one Model S can be worth 3 or 5 Model 3s.)
    I'd suggest that any decent car model should get at least 1 million copies. See below list, it is fun.
    List of automobile sales by model - Wikipedia

19. number12

number12 Active Member

Better AP control lever
    Top 3 Equal range to 75 when it comes out
    More head room than S? Not sure about that one.

If people choose 3 vs S, and something hiccups 3 production.... that would not be good for TSLA

Not to quote fast and furious, but I could see Elon saying this about TSLA..

"Dom/Elon: I live my life a quarter (mile) at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bullshit."

• Funny x 1
  20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Model 3 is the Tesla raison d'etre. It's the reason I and so many other people are interested in Tesla.

Right now Tesla's Model 3 output rounds to 0 per month. They still need Model S and Model X sales.

• Like x 1