Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why didn't Tesla put the map on the left side of the UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would definitely like more of the map view as well during navigation, as I also like to have a visual backup to the voice prompt. Not sure if it is because my car is new or what, but the voice prompt navigation would tell me to take a left or right extremely late, almost to the point where I am already at the intersection. Hope this improves if nothing else...

I would definitely like more of the map view as well during navigation, as I also like to have a visual backup to the voice prompt. Not sure if it is because my car is new or what, but the voice prompt navigation would tell me to take a left or right extremely late, almost to the point where I am already at the intersection. Hope this improves if nothing else...
Doesn't your car show the 'next step' in the navigation at the top of the nav pane? It should.

Reactions: DrGriz and PeteOC
Doesn't your car show the 'next step' in the navigation at the top of the nav pane? It should.
It does, but being new to Tesla it takes me a little longer to catch what I need to see, which also means I am taking my eyes off the road longer. When the voice prompt gives me a heads up to an oncoming turn it is not a big deal, like letting me know a turn will be in 500 feet for example, but I've experienced a few times when it didn't and caught me off guard.

I see. And this screen would cost $100 to install?
No, that's just a WAG that someone made. You can't install it in the 3 or Y. There are, however, small screens available that you can get - they are usually called 'HUD's' although they really aren't as they don't project anything on to the windshield. Here is an example -

Most of them are also touch screen which makes zero sense since you'd have to reach around or through the steering wheel to get to it. Yet, you have to pay for that technology.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline
No, that's just a WAG that someone made. You can't install it in the 3 or Y. There are, however, small screens available that you can get - they are usually called 'HUD's' although they really aren't as they don't project anything on to the windshield. Here is an example -

Most of them are also touch screen which makes zero sense since you'd have to reach around or through the steering wheel to get to it. Yet, you have to pay for that technology.
Doesn't look like a $100 piece of equipment to me haha

Doesn't look like a $100 piece of equipment to me haha
If it was $100 you'd be advised to stay away from it. There are many versions of these screens available and most are north of $300 not including installation. The newest 9" screen from Hansshow seems to be the best right now but even that is not as user-friendly as it can be, even though most if not all functions can be operated via the scroll wheels on the steering wheel which negates the need for touch screen. I'd settle for Tesla just making the map portion of the screen larger.

Reactions: Hiline