Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why didn't the car go into Park Automatically here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I told my wife, always, set to P then set the parking brake, AND wait for the parking brake noise finished as an audible green signal - OK to step out. Simply set to P is not enough. This applies to all vehicles, ICE, tesla and all EVs. This old school way can deal with all kinds of fancy PRND. this is also the reason why parking brake is always there. hope OP and waitress ok. lesson learned.

Last edited:
I've never forgotten until I got this car. I forget all the time now as I don't need my foot on the brake to be stopped. I'll be more careful in the future.

Well I can see multiple reasons why it is different for people.
1. Gear shift is a bit different (although more common on newer cars)
2. No turn off button/turn key to turn off the car.
3. Brake isn't needed to keep the car from moving

But that said, it is a habit thing...Just like any other safety measure, it should just be something people do without thinking much about it. I don't know if the auto park feature is lulling people into this feeling that they don't have to worry about that...but when people talk about it like it isn't a big deal or isn't something they need to fix (not saying you), it is just a really bad habit...and it isn't ok. And it is risking everyone else you have as a passenger in your care. People would never dream of doing this before, just because there is a safety net that usually works doesn't mean you rely on it..

Well I can see multiple reasons why it is different for people.
1. Gear shift is a bit different (although more common on newer cars)
2. No turn off button/turn key to turn off the car.
3. Brake isn't needed to keep the car from moving

But that said, it is a habit thing...Just like any other safety measure, it should just be something people do without thinking much about it. I don't know if the auto park feature is lulling people into this feeling that they don't have to worry about that...but when people talk about it like it isn't a big deal or isn't something they need to fix (not saying you), it is just a really bad habit...and it isn't ok. And it is risking everyone else you have as a passenger in your care. People would never dream of doing this before, just because there is a safety net that usually works doesn't mean you rely on it..
All joking aside, you do bring up valid points. Seems that people do drive this differently for some reason, myself included sometimes.

OP said: "I push down on the brake pedal to lock the car in place."

I was reading through the thread expecting someone to ask about this. What does this mean? I use hold mode in both my model 3 and model Y... is this a thing with creep or roll mode? When I read that my first thought was that the OP has a mistaken impression of how you put the car into park, because (at least in hold mode) pressing the brake pedal after coming to a stop to "lock the car in place" is as effective as adjusting the radio volume to lock the car in place. The control being manipulated doesn't have anything to do with locking the car in place.

OP said: "I push down on the brake pedal to lock the car in place."

I was reading through the thread expecting someone to ask about this. What does this mean? I use hold mode in both my model 3 and model Y... is this a thing with creep or roll mode? When I read that my first thought was that the OP has a mistaken impression of how you put the car into park, because (at least in hold mode) pressing the brake pedal after coming to a stop to "lock the car in place" is as effective as adjusting the radio volume to lock the car in place. The control being manipulated doesn't have anything to do with locking the car in place.
Brake Hold is a setting, separate from Hold mode driving. With Brake Hold enabled, you can press and hold the brake pedal for a second and then release the brake pedal. The Tesla vehicle will remain stopped until you press the accelerator pedal. Brake Hold is very useful when stopped at a traffic light. Brake Hold is not the same as shifting into Park.

seatbelt was not latched. Watch this video I made. Seatbelt not latched, door open, butt not in seat. Go to 0 mph and start the process. Car NEVER goes into park.

I did watch the video. It wasn’t clear do I was making sure.

Hold mode is for hills. Thats it.

Still, it sounds like there is a problem with the car sensors.

Sit in the car. In park. Fasten seatbelt. Put car in drive, with foot firmly on the brake. Continue to hold foot firmly on brake.

Unbuckle seatbelt. Do you get a seatbelt unfastened warning?

Brake hold isn’t a setting. It’s a feature of regular & creep modes. It doesn’t apply to the one pedal hold mode.

It works slightly different between regular and creep, but it locks the brake on until the brake is touched again or the go pedal is pushed. In creep mode slightly more brake pressure is required to activate it (based on my experience).

Shayz - look up Newton's First Law of Motion - a body remains in the state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line unless and until an external force acts on it.

You as the owner put your foot on the brake. You mention that you then open your door, and move your feet outside of the vehicle, the car begins to roll backward (were you on an incline or did you hit the accelerator pedal while moving your feet outside the car.) The car then continues to roll (you know First Law of Motion) and comes to a stop.

Fortunately, no one was injured due to the driver.

Questions:
- Did you tap the Park button on the stalk before opening your door
- You said you accidentally hit the accelerator when it started rolling in reverse, did you accidentally hit it when stepping out of the car
- How the hell do you wind up with your lower half underneath the vehicle when you only have one foot outside the door
- Why didn't you just role down the window to accept your bag
- Did you get a lawsuit from the waitress and now are trying to sue Tesla for your mistake

Video of the accident, start it at 1:11
1:11 in you can see my brake lights turn on. 1:38 I start reversing, probably never exceeding 1-1.5mph. 1:49 is when I make a full stop in the vehicle. I appear to try to exit around 1:56 so 7 seconds later. It would not be possible for me to have a seat belt at this point since I am exiting the vehicle and eventually do fall out. Around 1:58 is where you can see the car basically looking like it went in reverse over a speed bump. Video ends around 2:05 but you can see the car still reversing at the end of the video. An entire 7 seconds after Car door is open, no passenger in the seat, and obviously no seat belt buckled.

Pictures or dash-cam video of the incident, of course plenty must have been taken/saved, or this very likely did not happen....just my hunch.
Just saw the video. My ass hunch was incorrect. Get well soon, OP
@ShayZ.

Reactions: navguy12
1:11 in you can see my brake lights turn on. 1:38 I start reversing, probably never exceeding 1-1.5mph. 1:49 is when I make a full stop in the vehicle. I appear to try to exit around 1:56 so 7 seconds later. It would not be possible for me to have a seat belt at this point since I am exiting the vehicle and eventually do fall out. Around 1:58 is where you can see the car basically looking like it went in reverse over a speed bump. Video ends around 2:05 but you can see the car still reversing at the end of the video. An entire 7 seconds after Car door is open, no passenger in the seat, and obviously no seat belt buckled.

Looks like from this video it's driver error. You didn't have your seatbelt on when the car was moving. You then hit the accelerator and ran yourself over. Glad you're not hurt but dang. Lesson learned hopefully, cars are dangerous regardless of a Tesla or not.

Reactions: Yelobird

Whoa! That looked pretty scary. Is your car's setting on "Hold" when stopped? (the hold icon would appear on your screen) If so, you should probably get it looked at by Tesla.

Just last night I got out of my car at my driveway to move something out of the way in my garage. I forgot to put the car in park after it came to a stop (despite having seen this thread) and when I opened the door I got the warning chime and the car was put into park with the message below the car indicating that's what happened. I need to do a better job of reminding myself to put it in park before getting out.

ShayZ, are you aware?

I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out.

My car ran me over. Was this supposed to happen?
2022 Tesla model Y
Friday night I went out to eat. Left the restaurant and the waitress came out to hand me my Togo box I had left inside. I push down on the brake pedal to lock the car in place. Brake lights in place, car is at a full park, door opens. (isnt the Tesla supposed to go into auto park here?)

As one or two feet are out of the vehicle the car starts reversing. I freak out as the car door is pushing the waitress and I throw my leg inside to hit the brake. I accidently overreact and have hit the gas. I guess I am in limbo here, partially in and partially out of the car with no seat belt on.

The car reverses, knocks the waitress over, and since I am not in the car, it knocks me over and the driver side wheel/tire run over my entire lower body. The car ends up stopping about 20 feet away or so. It proceeded to drive for 1-2 more seconds with no driver in the seat.

Obviously I was on the ground and could not move. Pants were ripped wide open along with my underwear and I had bruises, was bleeding and scratches all over my lower body.
Was taken to the hospital, no broken bones incredibly. Now I’m home in a lot of pain and just wondering what the hell happened here.
Isn’t a Tesla supposed to stop if no driver is in the seat? I for sure hit the brake and pushed it down to lock the car in place. Why did my car not go into park when I opened the door at 0 mph with no seat belt on? Why did the car continue to drive with no one in the driver seat?

Agreed on the tough crowd, and people can flame me if they want but I've been driving for the past 30 years and have only exclusively owned manual transmission cars. Half the time I park, I leave my car in neutral and pull the parking brake. The first couple days of owning my Tesla, I've had to be pretty conscious to put the car into Park.

The only way I would see people flaming you, would be if you forgot to put it in park, it rolled away and damaged something, then you tried to blame the car. Mistakes happen, of course, and most people understand that.

From my point of view, the "feedback" in this thread is not from the mistake, its from the attempt to shift blame away from themselves "The car should have......" instead of "I acknowledge I did not put the car in park so this is on me, but I dont understand why....... (insert question about auto park here) .... can someone help me figure out that part?"

Nice experiment. It's a data point, thanks. (Edit: I was referring to the video showing the example how the car works).

Meanwhile, has no one here ever gotten their car stuck? At 0 mph, and in gear, you better believe I've opened hundreds of car doors my lifetime while driving and accelerating - as a matter of need. But I'm from Canada, so what do I know about how to get out of a jam.

Reactions: doubleshot
OP, really sorry this happened to you. Also sorry for all the weird responses blaming you for the problem.

This is one of the risks of too much automation: it can trigger mode confusion, which is a heightened risk when the driver is only half paying attention, if distracted by, for instance, a waiter arriving to hand you your dinner, and trying to complete that transaction.

If most of the time the hold feature works one way, and the auto park engage on door opening works one way, when confronted with a new scenario, likely the first time ever it did not work as expected, all the holes in the slices of swiss cheese aligned and a pretty bad accident happened.

I recently went through an exercise in UI development of turning off an electric scooter. We did not anticipate any scenario exactly like this, after brainstorming for hours over many weeks, with dozens of engineers, UX and product designers, civilian end users. Our situation by chance seems to cover this, but I will for sure add it to the list of possibilities (distracted user during power down, plus accidental throttle activation).

If I was responsible for any of this at Tesla, I would (internally) acknowledge the issue, and take ownership of mitigation of the risk, even if Tesla can be shown to not technically be directly at fault. They have a vested interested to not run over their customers.

If I were you, I would go back to the scene, once you feel better, and carefully see if you can re-create the failure.

Again, sorry this happened, hope you make a full and speedy recovery.
Excellent post.

This scenario reminds me of something that (at least 20 years ago in the RCAF) is/was called Human Performance Factors in Military Aviation.

This book may provide some interesting context for folks who think it’s “always pilot error” (737 Max comes to mind):

Did the OP make an error?

Yes, but there is more to the story than that…the cause was a combination of many influencing factors.

Reactions: OxBrew
Something to add...I drive with Hold mode (one pedal). When I am stopped and Hold is engaged, if I press on the brake pedal then release it, hold mode will disengage (and the speedo will show 0mph). It remains in this state for a couple seconds before hold mode re-engages. It's possible that by pressing the brake pedal OP actually temporarily disabled hold mode. Then when he removed his foot from the pedal the car would begin to roll, thus preventing auto-park from happening when he opened the door.

Reactions: AlexHung and Hahne