Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why didn't the car go into Park Automatically here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What likely happened is, your car is either in hold mode or creep mode, and you expected the car to go into park which it does not in all cases, instead of putting the car in park yourself.

Thats a "you" issue (not putting the car in park).

Similar to what happened in this very recent thread in the model 3 subforum:

Specifically, post #4 in that thread has an excerpt DIRECTLY from the tesla manual:

The above is a link to that post, and to save time in case you dont want to click the link, here it is, screenshotted:

View attachment 772025

Specifically it lays out what has to happen for the car to go into autopark AND SPECIFICALLY says " It is the drivers responsibility to always ensure the vehicle is in park before existing. Never rely on Model 3 to automatically shift into park for you. It might not work, in all circumstances )for example, if creep or a slope causes the vehicle to travel greater than approximately 1.5mph.

So This is 100% a result of the OP not putting the car into park or "expecting" the "car to do it for me".

The specific "full and complete" answer to the question of "what happened here?" is " You didnt put the car in park, and it rolled away".
And this is what happens when you get so many automated things. People just expect the machine to make it impossible for them to be hurt. Take responsibility for your own actions, do NOT rely on something or someone else to automatically do things for you.

Something to add...I drive with Hold mode (one pedal). When I am stopped and Hold is engaged, if I press on the brake pedal then release it, hold mode will disengage (and the speedo will show 0mph). It remains in this state for a couple seconds before hold mode re-engages. It's possible that by pressing the brake pedal OP actually temporarily disabled hold mode. Then when he removed his foot from the pedal the car would begin to roll, thus preventing auto-park from happening when he opened the door.
This is a very helpful insight. I also have noticed a second after the car hits 0mph before the click indicating hold mode is on.

My first guess was that the OP had the car set to Creep mode rather than Hold mode. But if Hold does not engage for a second and he was on a slight slope, there could be a bit of a roll until Hold engages.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
For fun, I just tested this in our Bolt.
  • When in R, pulling the door handle engages e-brake (but not P... car stays in R)
  • When in D, pulling the door handle does nothing (!). You have to pull it twice to get it to open, then door opens and e-brake engages (but stays in D).

This is slightly different from Tesla, because the Bolt rear brakes e-brake is a pretty weak mechanism. If it engaged on the highway by accident, you'd get a rear-wheel skid and need new brakes, but you wouldn't have a 300 foot stopping distance for sure.

Tesla has a system that _usually_ (or even "almost always") dings and goes to Park... but not always. And so the manual has a warning telling you that it's your job to put it in Park. So anybody who doesn't put it into park is at fault.

The thing that makes me wonder is: what are these conditions that circumvent the safety measure? Maybe Tesla doesn't fully trust the combination of signals (drivers seat occupancy, driver's seatbelt, door-open, low-speed), and thinks perhaps one of those sensors is bad (bad sensors are a common thing). For example, if the car is actually going at 50mph, and the driver wanted to spit out the door, a panic stop could be worse than not braking.

But I think in that case, it would still be possible to at least cut propulsion power. The OP flooring the accelerator would not have sent the car backwards. It seems like a safe bet that if you have:
  • no drivers seat occupancy
  • drivers seatbelt is unlatched
  • drivers door is open
...then even if you don't trust the speedometer to tell you that the car is slow enough to be stopped safely, it's still a no-brainer to ignore the accelerator pedal, and treat it as neutral pedal position. This is a low risk intervention.

I get all the comments that ignoring the manual made it the driver's fault. That doesn't mean the car should just blow-up whenever somebody does something stupid. Preventing humans from screwing everything up is a big Tesla goal. If there's an easy way to prevent this driver mistake from causing an accident, it should be implemented. (or, I guess you could try to describe the scenario where an empty drivers seat, no seatbelt and door open really needs a working accelerator pedal. Maybe there's a perfectly valid reason.)

Last edited:
My experience is auto hold needs to be engaged for the auto-park to function.
In his attached video, he is going up a hill and slows just slowly enough to hit zero but not engage auto hold. Seems like a very hard to replicate in a real world scenario but one that could happen none the less. This situation should be coded against. @ShayZ, what happens when you apply the brakes and come to a stop like you normally would with either one pedal driving or brake? Does auto-hold and then auto-park then work?

did you watch the other videos? Or the accident itself. It was not at motion for an entire 7 seconds.

- How the hell do you wind up with your lower half underneath the vehicle when you only have one foot outside the door

Both feet were out of the car when i moved backwards. I remember because I then had to quickly throw one foot back in the car to try to hit the brake.

ShayZ, are you aware?
Yes sir. bertstare.mp3

Why would you expect the car to go into park??? Put the car literally in park like the other commenter said. Or at least, put a hold on the brake. Jesus.
because its supposed to?

1645574895985.png

Agreed on the tough crowd, and people can flame me if they want but I've been driving for the past 30 years and have only exclusively owned manual transmission cars. Half the time I park, I leave my car in neutral and pull the parking brake. The first couple days of owning my Tesla, I've had to be pretty conscious to put the car into Park.
You should always leave a manual transmission car in gear with the parking brake on (33 years driving).

Just messing around today, I had to pull forward a couple feet from a wall to open the back. I got in, left the door open, put one foot on the brake, left one outside, put it in gear (D), started it rolling down the slight hill with the throttle, and after about 18 inches it slammed itself back into park. Hold mode on, not creep or roll.

Just messing around today, I had to pull forward a couple feet from a wall to open the back. I got in, left the door open, put one foot on the brake, left one outside, put it in gear (D), started it rolling down the slight hill with the throttle, and after about 18 inches it slammed itself back into park. Hold mode on, not creep or roll.
seat belt on or off?

because its supposed to?

View attachment 772661

Not saying its the safest thing, but mine goes it park 100% of the time when I open the door. I live in south florida though so not much risk if it didn't as we don't really have much in the way of hills here. I'm now trying to figure out why my car has decided to go into park whenever it feels like now. My gut is this new intrusive interior camera that supposedly isn't intrusive. At any rate, you do not appear wrong and regardless of whether people think its safe or not, if its not working, it certainly should be looked at.